With two unequal vices, which goes where

Hello group, I'm new here and new to the hobby. The archives you guys have built up here are great. Thanks for that.
I bet I could find this answer in the archives but I can't find the right search string. I just started my workbench project, a Good Fast Cheap varient. I've got two vices, one a new inexpensive vice from Rockler, and an old Wilton that weighs a ton. I'm looking at these vices and I'm wondering which one should mounted where. I'm inclined to use the massive Wilton for the face, thinking that that position will see the most use and therefore will benefit more from the massiveness. On the other hand, the newer lighter vice has a quick release, and I imagine that that would be real handy on the front vise. I'd appreciate any opinions regarding how I should be thinking about this. Thanks in advance.

I've got two vices too, but I'm trying to overcome them. ;-)
D'oh! And I knew about my problem with vices, too, and I still did it.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Mine used to be equal, but now that I'm an old man ....
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Hello group, I'm new here and new to the hobby. The archives you guys have built up here are great. Thanks for that.
I bet I could find this answer in the archives but I can't find the right search string. I just started my workbench project, a Good Fast Cheap varient. I've got two vices, one a new inexpensive vice from Rockler, and an old Wilton that weighs a ton. I'm looking at these vices and I'm wondering which one should mounted where. I'm inclined to use the massive Wilton for the face, thinking that that position will see the most use and therefore will benefit more from the massiveness. On the other hand, the newer lighter vice has a quick release, and I imagine that that would be real handy on the front vise. I'd appreciate any opinions regarding how I should be thinking about this. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like both vices have similar functions and I question the need for both on a bench. Have you thought of getting a second vice to use with dog holes?
Frank Drackman wrote:

That is my thinking, that the end vice would be used in conjunction with square bench dog holes. Both vises can accommodate dogs.

If it's the same cheap vise as I got from Rockler say goodbye to that plastic dog about the 3rd time you use it. Replacing it with wood isn't much of a problem though. But that's where I have mine, as an end vise.
-Leuf
pwef wrote:

;-) Glen

Oh? you've never been guilty of trying to put a square dog in a round hole?

I commend unto you, the words of Mae West, who opined:
"When confronted with the choice between two vices, I try to select the one I haven't tried before."