With the price of wood what it is does it make sense to cheap out on tools that'll last a lifetime?

I assume that you went to Aura. I've found that Global (101 & Zanker) and Jackel (Watsonville) have better prices than Aura. Forget southern.

I've gotten QS 4/4 walnut for less than that at jackel.

Since the walnut and maple need to be trucked in from the eastern half of the country, they are naturally going to be more expensive out on the west coast. On the other hand, PO cedar, Alder, Claro walnut, sweetgum, sycamore and other native trees can be found more cheaply if one looks around.

Then again, I can work with the garage door open year around, have RH usually well under 50% and 330 days of sunshine a year, no air conditioning required.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Here's a reason a woodworkier might buy less expensive (cheap?) tools: the cash to buy the more expensive model just ain't available. :-)

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yup. My contention has always been that it's better to work wood than it is to piss and moan about not having 2200 bucks for the perfect table saw, 1700 for the top jointer, 1500 for a great planer. Get the $250 saw, the $250 jointer, the $250 planer, and get 'em used if you have to. Go with what you've got until your ship comes in.

Of course, if you're like me, the frigging ship will sink just as it gets in sight of the dock.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Don't forget the oil spill you'll be held accountable for. Joe waiting at the dock

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I get much of my wood for free. I have hundreds of maple, oak, cherry, hickory, dogwood, sweetgum, pine trees on my lot. Plus, after a strong storm, there are plenty of neighbors who are glad to see me take downed trees.

Reply to
Phisherman

You KNOW you suck, don't you?? :)

Dave