With the price of wood what it is does it make sense to cheap out on tools that'll last a lifetime?

Page 2 of 2

Actually Dave, I don't see much of a correlation between the price of wood and the tools chosen to work it. It's more the skill of the woodworker that is going to have an impact on that expensive wood than the tool. How often do you really encounter a tool - especially a tool that would fall into the category of "adequate", damaging a piece of wood? You more often hear of errors on the part of the woodworker causing the problem. I've long held that it's much less about the tool than it is about the tool holder.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Here's a reason a woodworkier might buy less expensive (cheap?) tools: the cash to buy the more expensive model just ain't available. :-)
--Steve
Steve wrote:

Yup. My contention has always been that it's better to work wood than it is to piss and moan about not having 2200 bucks for the perfect table saw, 1700 for the top jointer, 1500 for a great planer. Get the $250 saw, the $250 jointer, the $250 planer, and get 'em used if you have to. Go with what you've got until your ship comes in.
Of course, if you're like me, the frigging ship will sink just as it gets in sight of the dock.
Charlie Self wrote:

Don't forget the oil spill you'll be held accountable for. Joe waiting at the dock

I get much of my wood for free. I have hundreds of maple, oak, cherry, hickory, dogwood, sweetgum, pine trees on my lot. Plus, after a strong storm, there are plenty of neighbors who are glad to see me take downed trees.
Phisherman wrote:

You KNOW you suck, don't you?? :)
Dave