Wiring Up an Oneida Dust Collector

I'm installing an Oneida Commercial 2HP dust collector, and have some questions about the wiring -- trying to decide whether to do it myself or hire an electrician. If you have this unit and have done the wiring, I have a few questions:

1) How did you put an on/off switch into the system? I have a dedicated 220V circuit for the system, but the unit doesn't contain a switch -- there's the motor, and that's it.

2) Have you used their remote control, and how do you like it?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Don't have an Oneida, but you can buy industrial 20 amp DPST switches for use with this. I use one as a secondary safety on a 3HP table saw. Lowes sells a Leviton version. You can also use relay power switches. (Sometimes known as 'magnetic' switches.)

I have an old Long Ranger, and find the remote quite handy. As for the Oneida, I've not used it. So if your are specifically asking about their version, I'm no help at all...

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Thanks for the quick reply. What are the merits of the two types of switch?

-- Andy

: Andrew Barss said:

:>1) How did you put an on/off switch into the :>system? I have a dedicated 220V circuit for the :>system, but the unit doesn't contain a switch -- :>there's the motor, and that's it.

: Don't have an Oneida, but you can buy industrial 20 amp : DPST switches for use with this. I use one as a secondary : safety on a 3HP table saw. Lowes sells a Leviton version. : You can also use relay power switches. : (Sometimes known as 'magnetic' switches.)

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I have the old Long Ranger - plus the oneida into it and then the LR into the wall. Remote clips on my belt.

Love it.

Even bought an extra remote to keep a few machines.

Reply to
Rob V

A magnetic switch is used to prevent the machine from starting unexpectedly. Lets say your circuit breaker on your table saw trips. While you are going to turn it back on, someone else decides to change the blade. With a regular switch he will have a serious problem; a magnetic switch will not power the machine until it has been switched on again. I don't see why it would be used on a DC; no one is likely to be sticking his hand in the impeller while you are at the circuit box.

I have a DPST on my DC. It allows you to put the power switch in a convenient place instead of on the machine; or in your case, it is the only alternative to unplugging the machine everytime. It goes between the outlet and the circuit box.

I am not familiar with their remote control, but perhaps you don't need any switch at all with a remote control; I've never use the switch on my Jet air cleaner because the remote pretty much makes it useless.

Reply to
Toller

=================== I do NOT have an Oneida...But my DC (220v) is hard wired and controlled by 2 3 way switches mounted in my shop that I am not more then 6 foot away from one of them no matter where I stand in my 24x24 shop... Bopught the 220 3 way switches at an electrical supply store ..

As for the Remote.....well all I can say is I HAD one but could never find it... spent more time looking for the D%%$ T&^% (now where did I lay it dowqn now) then getting any work done... You may be better at keeping it in your pocket then I am...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

I didn't know there were 240v 3way switches. What are they, just DPDT?

Reply to
Toller

Long Ranger here too. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Reply to
Russ