Wireless Intercom work for Detached Shop?

Page 2 of 2
Those little hand held radios are awful cheap now Ken... I bought a pair for $25. Most of the intercoms are MUCH more.
Ken Vaughn wrote:

My grandson gave me a wireless intercom for Christmas lat year. Works well enough. One in the garage, the other in the family room. You just have to remember to turn it on and it works even better.
"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message > Actually that was my initial thinking on the matter, but I would have to buy

Of course, if you're a Neanderthal, you can use a long piece of string, two pulleys, a clothes peg and a piece of paper...or if the missus is teckernologickally challenged; rock, elastic band, paper.
Merry Christmas
Greg
Ken,
Smarthome has all kind of gadgets including intercoms. http://www.smarthome.com/INTERCOMS.HTML Hope this helps. Rick
I've had one in my shop for about 8 years now. My shop is in a detached building that's about 100 ft from my house. It's been a real time saver for both the wife and me, except when she tries to call me while I'm using one of the bigger power tools. She's now learned that if I don't answer her, she needs to wait a minute or so and then try again. They will work anywhere that you have a power connection to plug them into by sending a radio signal through the power line, even as far as the neighbor's house, but they won't work beyond the power transformer that supplies power your house, or group of houses, and your shop. If your shop has a separate electric service running to it and it's fed from a different power transformer, then these intercoms won't work for you.
--
Charley

"Ken Vaughn" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Ken,
In this day and age, almost everyone uses cordless phones in their household. Most all of these phones have a built in intercom. I always just grab one of the units on my way out the door to my shop and the wife can reach me (any time I want her to) :~)

We have the house the shop and everything pretty well wired for sound,TV and internet. With some help from a computer savvy kid down the road we set up both my shop PC and my wifes PC with web cams and used the video conferencing software that came with them. It's got an attention signal and chat line so it works really well. If I'm not busy or have a tool running I walk right over to the PC and camera and we video conference right over the home network... No internet involved. If I don't hear the attention signal she just assumes I'm busy and types in a chat message that remains there until I answer it. I thought this was a little over the top but it's really simple and it cost $45 for a 2 webcam bundle including the software. I sent the kid that set it up for me down the road with $50.
Knothead
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "Ken Vaughn"

Am I the only one on this newgroup who's wife calls him on his cell phone?
I set it on "vibrate", and park it in my back pocket. When my sphincter starts quivering, it means the wife needs me.
Just like before I had a cell phone.
Michael Baglio

No, she calls me on my cellphone too. I er, hear that you're out of town next weekend.

I do that. Is it just my wife, or does your wife mostly call you when you've got glue spread 9 ways to sunday, and you're trying to hold 4 pieces of wood together using both hands and both feet?