Wireless Intercom work for Detached Shop?

Page 1 of 2
I need to install some form of communication between my shop and house which are only about 25 feet apart. I have been using a two line wall phone in my shop, but for various reasons that is no longer possible. Anyone have experience with the $35 to $40 wireless intercom systems? I assume these use a radio frequency to communicate. Both the house and shop are connected to a common electrical system (shop has a sub panel connected to house main panel) if that makes any difference.
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:11 +0000, Ken Vaughn wrote:

You might have to try different outlets to make sure both units are on the same hot/phase. If you need to, you could reverse the hot leads to the sub panel to accomplish this.
- Doug

Oh c'mon just say Daddy want's the new cool intercom for Xmas! If you care about what is being said the wirless intercom can easily be picked up on a scanner. I do it the old fashun'd method. She comes out and patiently waits till I finish doing what ever I'm doing.... And she gets a little more exercise than 25' Hell must at least 40 ;-)

"Dinner's Ready!" is a big secret? <G>
Barry
We have a cordless phone in the home, and it has additional optional handsets available. The handsets include a small battery charger cradle. The system includes local intercom between the handsets. My shop is detached, and it's about 80 feet or so between the base station and the shop handset. It works okay. We don't use the intercom much, SWMBO prefers to just wander out to the shop, but the system might be good for. The phone was about $100 and each handset about $40 IIRC.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "Ken Vaughn"

Howdy,
We have used two such systems both from Radio Shack.
The first was so terrible that we returned it. The second is remarkably good. There is little if any background noise and the fidelity is remarkably good. The cost was in your price range.
Please let me know if you would like the specifics.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "Ken Vaughn"

Some do, they use Family Radio Service frequencies that should work fine. Just assume that someone is probably listening, so no reading the credit card info over the intercom. I like these much better than the units below, and you get the added bonus of using a handheld to communicate with them, if desired.
Other units use AC wiring, and in my experience, they suck. Others can hear them, as well, if they have similar units and are on the same primary electric feed as you. Mine would start giving off random noise as noise came down the power lines.
Barry
I have three of these units, FRS freq and ac plug in. Great for intercom system in house/shop or with hand held anywhere on our place, even mowing yard. I put a set of speakers on the one in the shop and it sounds like the person talking is right there with you.

just could not hear it calling... lol ...which PISSED the wife off to no end...
I now just use my telephone...the house intercom feature adds 2 bucks a month to the phone bill...BUT my wife can pick up any phone in the house and call me in the shop using our own phone number...
I still can not hear the phone ring in the shop
BUT I have shop phone hooked up to a Radio Shack Strobe light ...gets my attention...damn fast !
Bob Griffiths
Works...
Bob Griffiths. ..BUT I have Radio Shack STROBE

That can be very dangerous while using power tools. There is a new product on the market called Strobe Stop. It is connected to your power tools and works in conjunction with them. Let's say you are cutting on the band saw and your wife calls. Flashing strobes can blind you, so instead, the phone stays silent until you complete the cut. Meantime, your wife gets a recording telling her you are too busy to be bothered by her nonsense and she should solve her problems without bothering the man of the house. Other messages available at extra cost, as is the "Dinner is Ready" bypass.

That reminds me of something that could work pretty well in a shop in conjunction with your cellphone -- they sell blinking pens that light up when you receive a call, even when the ringer is off.

How much is the "I'm randy" option? <G>
Barry

50 bucks a use, so 100 bucks a year I suppose.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

outside my shop door. It has never blinded or scared me, but warns if someone approaches the door. It's some nut walking in and touching you on the shoulder while you're sawing that REALLY scares you.
I have a cheap two wire intercom, that uses the extra wires in the phone line. The volume can be controlled from the house, so she can crank it up and yell over most of my machinery.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Actually I have 4 strobe lights in the shop...one centered on each wall ..mounted high against the ceiling....
They have never "startled " or bothered me in the least when they flashed..
I have this habit of keeping my eyes focused on the task at hand..no matter what I am doing... Can't recall the last time I was using a tool AND looking up at the ceiling... HONEST !
Bob Griffiths
Ken, I had the same situation 2 years ago. What I did was buy two FRS radio base stations off eBay. Are you are familiar with FRS? They have a range of 2 miles. The base stations have an electrical plug in adapter so you won't worry about batteries. They also have a weather channel. You can also get the walkie-talkie type if you want to carry one around. I Paid about $20 each.
Gary

I have a Radio Shack intercom for the house and garage, works fine. My neighbor bought on too. Found out the funny way that he bought the same frequency! He was testing it, except he was talking to my wife, while his listened in! He took his back and got a differant frequency. Greg
I have an almost identical setup for my shop and house. I purchased a 900MHz wireless intercoms that are AT&T branded. They work great. When she wants me, she hits the talk button, which plays a sound on my end.
I'd say the house is 50-60 feet from the shop. We placed the inside intercom in the kitchen which is on the wall facing the shop.
Of course, if she sets something down on top of the intercom, I get *lots* of calls. That only happened once :-)
Ken Vaughn wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "Ken Vaughn"

Hi Ken, I use a wireless doorbell. It gets my attention when needed.

Actually that was my initial thinking on the matter, but I would have to buy one, so I think I will look at the wireless intercom while I'm at it.
Ken Vaughn Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65 /