WINNABLE Gas War

Page 2 of 2

Well my salary is certainly higher today than it was in 1981 (that's a good thing!). Unfortunately, we decided on a minivan a few years back, rather than a small sedan. I'm trying to compensate by bicycling and using the trains. Since I am now a senior citizen according to NJ Transit (62!), cost of train travel has gone down by ~50%. Walking from the station to work is also good for me.
--
Best regards
Han

I LOVE riding my bike for actual transportation. Actually, I love riding it anywhere, but to replace driving is extra fun!
My favorite is riding to the liquor store for microbrew and getting asked "When do you get your license back?" <G> Seriously!
HeyBub wrote:

The last I heard it was a half cent a gallon below the 1981 peak in constant dollars. However it's my understanding that wages haven't kept pace with inflation since 1981 so I'd like to see a source for your contention that it is currently a lower percentage of disposable income.

--John
It's suggesting a chain letter; those are illegal, even on the internet.
On Sun, 20 May 2007 03:02:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jeff Gagnon) wrote:
A bunch of utter nonsense based on total ignorance of fungible commodity markets.
<Tom Veatch> wrote in message

What's the price/gallon, adjusted for inflation from say, 1982 (twenty five years)?
Seems that would be a pretty good way to judge the current cost in the scheme of things.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

IIRC the price of gasoline last year was just under the equivalent price of gasoline in 1982. Now it is 50% higher.
Swingman wrote:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
If gas peaked around $1.30 in 1981 today (as of 2006) after inflation it would be $3.07 today..............Fed and State taxes have raised considerably over that time per gallon but I don't know where they fall proportionally. I'd still suspect the Gov. take has exceeded actual or relative road costs...i.e mass transit is largely funded via gas taxes. On the other hand if memory serves me correctly a barrel of oil hit $30-$40 or so per barrel before collapsing below $10 in the mid 80's.....$35 in 1981 would equal after inflation $82.57 today. Since today's price is around $66 we can blame regulation, refineries and local taxes. Rod

IIRC I remember gas prices reaching about 80-85 cents per gallon in Texas during the shortage in the early 80's. According to the California Energy Comission, the yearly Average price in California was $1.34 per gallon. For the inflation prices to be in line, the prices "in 2006" would have to be $2.63 per gallon on average. Does any one know where I can buy gas for $2.63 per gallon?

Something else to consider, since gasoline is used by 99.9999% of the people in the US, it's pricing itself has a lot to do with the yearly inflation rate. Rising gasoline is a big contributor to the inflation rate.
Jeff Gagnon wrote:

Regrettably not......The "two oil companies" would simply wholesale the gas to everybody else whom wasn't being boycotted. Even worse such a boycott might even initially raise prices since "everybody else" would have increased demand and the two intended oil companies could charge a premium for their now surplus gas. Rod

Exactly. They are all sleeping with each other.
GAS WAR??
a GAS WAR idea that WILL work---->
<cutting out the garbage>
This whole Gas War thing is just a stupid rumor! There is no retired Coke executive, and there is no plan! What good do you think it would do to boycott one or two gasoline companies? All that would do is force you to buy gas from someone else! Boy! That solves the whole problem! (Sarcasm intended). Anyone that believes the whole "gas war" thing is a bigger idiot than I thought possible!

Not so. There was a gas war and I WON. Yes, the beer and hard boiled eggs won out over baked beans. Cleared out the entire office for twenty minutes.

Just don't light a match...
svr29.news.prodigy.net:

Or do, and see a real clearance.