WingNUTS!

I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project yesterday. It seems I can get hex nuts for $0.08 ea, but wing nuts cost almost $1 ea! I don't understand it, what makes the wing nut so special that they'd cost so much? The design is years old, and there's only about twice the metal in a wing nut.

That's a huge upcharge just for conveinence. I could solder a washer on the top of the nut and get the same function for around $0.25.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

They take up a lot more cargo space when shipped from China. That's my guess.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Only a $1? How bout these:

mcmaster.com has decent pricing on hardware if you're buying buy the box. Box of 100 zinc plated 1/4-20 is $8.53

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Volume.

By them by the full box of 100 pcs and watch the price drop.

My guess is 1/4-20NC willl be your most popular size.

Check out Jamestown Distributors for a box of S/S.

Probably last a lifetime.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Leuf wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

I don't mind buying by the box if I'm buying common sizes. mcmaster.com shows a 175 piece assortment for $51.11, that's around $.30 a piece. Much better than the sellers around here. I'll have to pick up a box, thanks.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Perhaps, but as anyone who's paid attention in an Economics class should be able to tell you: at higher prices, people will purchase less. So, to increase volume, lower price. (Hm... V(up) P(down)...kinda starts to sound like natural gas laws.)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe, but if I can get them cheap enough I'll start replacing things (such as the circular saw adjuster) with wing nuts.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

When you are buying fasteners by the piece, you are basically paying renewal parts pricing.

It may take a couple of years to sell a 100 pieces when you sell them one at a time.

The price reflects the cost of shelf space as well as the cost of money for slow moving items.

SFWIW, I've had a box of 1/4-20 wing nuts for probably 20 years. Still probably have half them left, but the price was right at the time I bought them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

About once a year or 18 mo. I send an order to MSC, screws, nuts, bolts, all thread, Al and UHMW, polycarbonate sheet. Just about anything I use, or may use. It's on hand and a great deal cheaper.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Fastenal has 'em for 8 cents a piece stamped, or .19 a piece forged.

They list a box of 50 forged 1/4-20 for 9.64 as an "in store item". If there's a Lowes near you odds are that there's a Fastenal within a reasonable drive.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I wonder why I pay 25 cents for a washer when I can drill a hole in a penny, dime or nickel. LOL

Reply to
Phisherman

Good Grief! I am so glad that I have suppliers other than the big box stores. I get wing nuts for about 17 cents each. I get a

10% discount without even asking for it and they have way more selection than either of the Borgs.

Robert Allison

I used to make expanding wheel chocks for RV's and needed large wingnuts.. Found that a nice section of dowel and a t-nut worked and looked a lot better... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

*Weld* one, maybe... solder isn't going to hold up to much torque.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Regular nuts are made out of continuous bar stock, hundreds per minute. A wing nut is a casting or forging which requires individual handling.

Reply to
DT

Machining wingnuts really is a _lot_ more difficult. Feeding the things automatically is a total PITA

...but mostly it's volume.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ever tried it? It's not always easy to drill a hole in a small flat round disc. (If you're doing lots of electrical with metal boxes, you'll have plenty of punch outs to play with...)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:fs5bfc021a8 @news3.newsguy.com:

I'll give Fastenal a look next time I need a wing nut.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

is great for weekend searching but their hardware is neither cheap nor good.

I'm there about every damn weekend.

Check out Reid's for all that funky stuff.

Puckdr> I at Lowes looking for hardware for my latest woodworking project

Reply to
Pat Barber

That's when you need one of these:

Roper Whitney group includes Pexto, formerly Peck, Stowe, & Wilcox, used to make brace & bits and other woodworking tools!

Reply to
Larry W

It's likely due to material -- Ottawa Fastners sells two different kind of wingnuts (both 8-32) -- one that sells for $0.82 a piece, and one that sells for $0.14 a piece -- one is solid stainless steel and the other is the coated stuff. Likely what you're looking at is the stainless steel kind, which is going to make it a lot more expensive. Take a look around Lowes -- they might have the cheap kind too.

John

Reply to
julvr