Wine Rack Plans?

Does anyone have a free winerack design I can check out? What I'm looking to do is have it hold about 40 bottles of wine. I would like to actually go all out and have the upper part of the rack have a section where it will hold wine glass hung upside down.
I may be asking a little much so if nobody has something of this nature does anyone know of software I can use to design something myself?
Thanks in advance,
--
-=SW=-

I just posted a couple of photos of my wine rack on APBW. The design is my own, but you may copy it. I don't have plans available, but I've considered making up a set and selling them. What do you think a fair price would be? Much time was spent in the layout and planning.
It can hold about 200 bottles but it is modular so you can add or subtract to suite your needs.
I also have a wine refrigerator that holds 36 bottles. It was $139 at Home Depot. I keep it at 55 degrees year round. Very handy. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Why troll such a specific question? Then again, why troll at all?
--
-=SW=-

Oh my, I've offended you. I feel so bad about that.
It really is my wine rack. I really do have about 200 bottles in the rack and another 12 gallons fermenting. My peak was about 300 bottles.
I really do have a wine refrigerator also. It is on a wood stand and sits next to the rack.
Can't help you much with the wine glass thing. We have probably 50 or 60 of them in different styles. I have a thing about nice stemware and will buy two or four of a given style if a design strikes my fancy. Most are either in the hutch or in the dry bar in the living room.
Knowing I was ill behaved today, I may not sleep well tonight. Nah, I always do anyway. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You didn't offend me I'm just used to replies like that being sarcastic. Why would you recommend me seeing a shelf with cardboard boxes filled with bottles on a "woodworking" newsgroup. It obviously was not going to help me with my original question about how to make a wood wine rack/cabinet.

I brew only beer at the time but will be getting into wine making within the next month or so. Problem is I have no place to put 30 bottles of wine and keep them sitting at an angle. I figured I would make a honeycomb design similar to this
http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_shelves_cabinets/article/0,2049,DIY_14444_ 2275205,00.html
but then went on the think I would like to make a nice cabinet which contains a wine glass hanging section.
--
-=SW=-

Geez! It is a joke!! Calm down, don't get your panties in a knot! Greg

Oh yes, but I am being of help. You plan to make 30 bottles of wine then stop until it is aged and drunk? Probably not. You need an area for bulk storage of quite a bit. If you make two whites and two reds, that is 120 bottles. Sure you may pick at it, but it will not really be ready to drink for 12 to 24 months. You need a place to keep the wine as close to ideal conditions as you can. Not a fu-fu rack that looks pretty in an area of the house that is too hot to keep wine. I see racks all the time in kitchens; probably the absolute worst room of the house to keep it.

Looks pretty. If you have a good place to keep the wine in a temperature controlled environment, it may be OK. If it is for show, that is OK also but you don't want to keep it long term in the wrong environment. If it is for practicality, my rack works best. No one ever sees it; it is cost effective; it is practical. All the wine I'm drinking comes from the refrigerator that keeps it as close to ideal I can get (53 degrees) considering I have a mix of white and red in it. Reds, or course I open a while before consuming. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

This wine rack I plan on making will be in my basement. I decided that if I am going to spend time making a wine rack then I want to make a nice one or else I can easily just put together a few boards and sit the bottles on it.
I brew my own beer and have 4 taps in the basement. For this reason I do not need anymore than 30 bottles of wine. It's pointless to me since it will take some time to drink even those 30 bottles. I enjoy drinking wine in restaurants more than sipping at my home and there are very few BYOB's around my area...maybe 2 or 3. Most wines do not need aged for 2 years to drink...6 months to 1 year is a little more inline.
--
-=SW=-

Umm, just my 2c, I DO find it incredibly helpful to see images of a project LIKE what I am trying to visualise....
So ifn I ask about wine rack plans and somewun shows me their incarnation - I do find it helpful. In fact, lol, I had not asked, but was interested - so I surfed Ed's site trying to purloin some ideas....
I think mostly (MOSTLY), we are all trying to be helpful.... Mike

Wed, Apr 7, 2004, 3:04am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) says: <snip> Knowing I was ill behaved today, I may not sleep well tonight.Nah, I always do anyway.
Ed, you been leavin' the door open, and lettin' in too tight people again?
Personally, I thought your wine rack was very creative, well though out, and expressed your true capabilities as a woodworker. Some people just can't see your sensitive side at all. Your only mistake was, you should have taken the pictures after you applied the finish, not before. That must have been what confused him. Don't worry, the rest of us are all proud of you, ya done good.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Um,........check out his pics, then get back to us! Greg
Greg O wrote:

I did...that's why I thought it was trolled response. I asked a question regarding a specific idea of making a nice wine rack and in reply I get pictures of a beat wooden shelf covered in dust with cardboard boxes with wine bottles in it...do you really think this was an appropriate response to my originial question?
--
-=SW=-

Heheh - Ed don't drink quickly enuff.

For simple things like a wine rack I find that Visio is a great design tool. It wasn't created for furniture design is simple to use. There are no 3D capabilities but I think that it works fine.
If no one comes up with links for plans, I could measure some of mine.
Bob
RWM wrote:

I was debating on trying that and seeing what types of "shapes" they have for something of this nature. I use Visio 2003 for all of my infrastructure drawings at my job so I have this readily available. Thanks!

I would greatly appreciate that. Do you have links to pictures of yours?
--
-=SW=-

You might look on the New Yankee Workshop site. I seem to remember Norm building a pretty nice one back some time ago. The sell the plans and video to boot.
Roy
Roy Neudecker wrote:

That rack is pretty nice! I will see what other replies I get and possibly try this. The only problem is it's been a long time since I've done any woodworking projects and this one seems pretty complicated. Then again with the plan AND a video I can't see messing too many things up. :)
Thanks
--
-=SW=-

Ahh, but you see there is a solution. YOU open a bottle of your best - about halfway thru - inspiration will be at its peak - start doodling, and designing. Then as you open the second, u will gradually realise you probably won't need a wine rack for empty bottles....problem solved...
Seriously - as you can tell, I find a sip of wine/bourbon, and a read of the wreck, accumulate the best bits of peoples ideas, doodle 'em onto a bit of paper, have another sip, modify doodle, and then NEXT DAY (not after wine/bourbon :-)), you go to workshop and add your own tweak...is best methodology...
Truly - the wreck/abpw is the single best resource I know...
Mike