Window Stools?

Hi everyone,

I have put on a large addition and have also removed ALL windows in my house and put in all New Construction windows (old part of the house was stripped to the sheathing and new siding was put on after the windwos were put in). I put in all Anderson windows and have extention jams for all the windows in my new section of the house. I was wondering , where do I get the interior window sills (Stool?) or is this something which I need to make for each window?

Through all the work I have been doing with my addition, I have become very handy and willing to do/make anything.

Thank you for all your input.

Reply to
Goofy

I make custom ones. Almost every house we do. There are several ways to approach this, it's a matter of what will work for you. One method is to make your new sill and attach to existing with a biscuit jointer. Pocket screws can also be used, but pay attention to where the holes will end up under the sill as they look much better covered up by the piece of casing, or "apron", that will go under the sill. This method is good for painted jambs. Another method i use is to take my bosch flush cut saw and cut the existing sill out. The cut is made where the jamb sides meet the bottom sill. Then a custom made sill is installed. This is my prefered method for jambs that get stained as the sill is integrated right into the window without lines where two sills were joined. As far as making the sill, you'll have to decide on which detail to use. I make mine on a shaper with an top bead/undercut cove. You can use a router, but a router mounted in a table will work better. Just remember to shape the endgrain first so if there's any tearout, it will be removed with the long grain cut. Also, make sure you make the sill wide enough that the casing will not protrude out past the sill. Have fun. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Reply to
nospambob

I think you will have to make them or have someone do it for you. Anderson (and most window manufacturers) make the windows and jam extensions to be picture framed with no stool. If you notice on your old windows the stool was probably the bottom stop for the window. Your new windows don't require that piece to stop the window. The easiest way to make them is to make a piece that applies to the jam extension. The only other way I know of is to build a stool to install before you apply the jam extensions. Install the stool first and then just use the other three sides of the jam extension material on top of your new stool.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike