Window Garden Box

Hi there,

I was looking for a excuse to slip out to the shop today before the game. So the genius in me says to the SWMBO that I was going out to setup then pratice making dovetails with my new Leigh Jig. She says okay but what are dovetails? I explain about the shape and lock my fingers together to give her a visual. She says okay again but what are they used for besides drawers? I say lots of things but mostly boxes. She says like window boxes. I say ahhhh I guess so. She says "Cool!!" and she starts digging into catalog and magazine pile and comes out with a description of a copper lined box that is for the inside during winter. I nearly choke on the $119.95 price for one of them. And say the doom of most woodworkers, "Yeah, I can build that." She says great I need 4 of them in 2-3 weeks when the seeds get here. "Okay?" I hear my mouth say before my mind has even attempted to take the problem apart.

I head out to the shop and make a couple of good joints with the Leigh. I am on page 66 of the manual. Don't anyone tell me how it ends I want it to be a surprise.

Back to the question. What would you make windowsill garden boxes out of? I know how to make them now but don't know how to make the copper liner or what finish to use.

Thanks for you Help in advance

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

careful with the copper. it'll kill some plants.

Reply to
Bridger

Personally, I'd find some rectangular plastic plant containers, and build a box to hold them. Make the box from cedar or redwood, with large drain holes in the bottom.

Reply to
Paul Shirron

"Whatever looks good" in your environment. Redwood and/or cedar are traditional choices. and have the advantage that they can be left 'unfinished'.

I've seen ones in oak, maple, birch, among others.

Coppe is 'iffy' for liners. if it leaches into the soil, it'll kill most plants. Aluminum is good -- if you have a real printer nearby, you may be able to get some used metal 'offset plates' for next to nothing (if not for nothing). They're light enough weight to fold relatively easily, yet heavy enough to make it difficult to puncture.

what finish depends on the wood. one of the naturally weather-resistant ones like redwood or cedar, and you don't need any finish. though a redwood/ ceder oil _will_ keep it looking 'new', indefinitely (if applied every few years.

For non-resistant woods, there's always an exterior-grade paint. Or a good marine-grade varnish.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I was talking to someone at work the other day about building a durable window box and they suggested I use the new plastic/wood decking material. Not sure what the name for it is. Dek..... something or other. I didn't use it because the instructions said to wait until it weathers before painting. Price was not bad and it should last forever. What I looked at was brown but, left unfinished it will weather to a grey color.

Reply to
JMWEBER987

Page 66? Must be some kind of dovetail jig. Are you reading all of the languages?

Reply to
Oregon

It only has English.