Window/Door Plans

I am renovating an early 19th century cottage and as I have time I would like to make the doors and windows. Can anyone direct me to a source of plans and methods?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob C

Hi, Bob,

I haven't found too much detailed info on the Internet. I can probably help you if you let me have the dimensions and styles of windows and doors you need, and whether stormproof or traditional.

If you're in UK, be aware that you should obtain planning permission to change your windows as from April last year, even changing like for like. But I won't tell them if you don't...

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Geez, you have to obtain permission from the government to replace a rotted-out window? Somebody in your government doesn't have nearly enough to do.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Aye, you said a mouthful, there, John. The logic is that the replacement windows will be in keeping with the appearance of the property. You wouldn't want to see aluminium windows on a 300-year-old timber-framed thatched cottage, to take an extreme example.

However, it does seem to be a uniquely British failing that we create all these legislative hurdles for ourselves - or the Eurocrats in Brussels do it for us - and then we tax ourselves to the hilt to employ an army of jobsworths to ensure that the rules are complied with. Then we get to pay them again for the planning permission. (around 95 GBP at the moment) Then we get to pay again for the inspector to come out and check up on the job (a friend just paid 220 GBP to have the footings for his new extension inspected). And they do check assiduously, and if you've deviated from the approved plan, they're very likely to make you tear it out and do it over. For which you'll have to pay them again to come and re-check....

I feel a need to rant, so best I just go and have a pint or two instead....

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Thanks Frank!!

I'll check with planning about the styles and get back to you. To date I've only spoken with them about the practicalities of adapting the building for modern usage. Their concerns so far have been on render type, slate type etc. I've found them to be informative have a common sense approach once you're own approach is to retain the style and renovate rather than reconstruct.

All the best,

Bob C

Reply to
Bob C