wimminz is ungreatful

Page 1 of 3
I can't really justify that [dado set|jointer|router|digital camera] with all this medical debt heading my way, but I decided damn if I was going to just hand them every dime I have, wind up broke, and still end up owing them thousands besides. Might as well take care of some household stuff that needed doing while I could afford to do so. I guess this seed got planted when my dryer blew up last month.
I replaced our brain damaged thermostat with one of those newfangledy digital deals, which took care of one big annoyance. Next up, the hot water heater. I noticed that it had finally turned 30. It was still working, but after 30 years, I figured it was only a matter of time. The top has been crusty with rust for years now, and I've been kind of holding my breath every time I looked at it, hoping the tank wouldn't rust through before I could do something about it.
So I got a super deluxe ultra floofy top of the line replacement. The heater had a main shutoff, and one each for hot and cold coming off to feed the washer. None of these three valves worked, and one of them had a broken handle, and a horked up handle holding screw. So while I was going to be knee deep in a mess, I went ahead and re-did the whole works with new materials and new valves all around.
I spared no expense, and cut no corners. I took measurements, measured twice (measured twice incorrectly, as it turns out, but that's a different story), made a detailed drawing and an itemized purchase list. I got everything I needed, then spent six tedious hours painstakingly cutting and reaming and deburring and polishing and shining and spiffing and test fitting the crap out of everything, then I finally had it all together, hooked up, and pressure tested after the seventh hour. Another half hour or so, and I had carefully fitted insulation and taped all the joints, and had done the spiff damn biffiest job of installing a water heater anyone ever saw.
It was kind of a nice day today, coldish, but above freezing, and sunny. I wanted to spend some time outside, but I spent my entire Saturday working on this damn water heater. SWMBO, meanwhile, was with Mom all day, shopping and playing cards and stuff.
She came home, looked at my work, and had the audacity to bitch about the mess in the laundry room. I asked her what she thought of my eight hours of labor, and, for that matter, my $500, and she said, "Hrmph. It's a water heater. Does it work?"
SHEESH! That's why I say wimminz is ungreatful. She shouldda said "It's great honey. Nice job. Here, have a beer, then let's go back to the bedroom."
Instead, she went in the living room after a hard day of playing cards and shopping, and fell asleep on the couch. My Score Factor is a whopping 0, and I had to get my own beer. Sniff.
Oh, and I have a headache too. Hrmph.

-------------- Show the work to one of your buddies who'll appreciate it.

I'm not exactly sure that Silvan really wants the kind of appreciation he was looking for from SWMBO from one of his buddies.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

All my buddies live between 80 and 6,000 miles away, on the other end of a glass screen.
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:17:46 -0500, Silvan

well we all want you to know that that was a very thoughtful thing you did getting the water heater taken care of while your wife was out, and that of course it was a heckofa lot of work and it's unfortunate that your wife didn't appreciate it and absolutely you deserve to be dragged screaming into the bedroom and done whatever you two like to do there and we're sorry about the skinned knuckles and the hole in your new pants from where the solder landed on it and how it took seventy-billion trips to the stupid store and all of the mess in the laundry room that she so unfairly blames on you and all.
oh, and how's the headache doing?
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Nope. No solder in pants. No visible or obvious solder burns either, I don't think. I even had enough sense to cover the plastic electrical box on top of the thing before beginning work, so I have no solder blobs welded into that either. Quality work. :)

Only three. Once to buy the heater, once to buy all the parts I needed after carefully reading its manual, then once more to buy the right size hookup pipes because the parts I bought said they were something that they weren't. Not really my fault. "Works for all hot water heaters." It says that right here in black and white. Sigh.

The beer made it worse, the sleep made it better, the fact that I'm moments away from having to get back to the dreary business of whoring myself out to keep the paychecks flowing in has gotten it stirred up again.

Which is _really_ convenient when what you _needed_ was help with the water heater.
Wanna help with the new shower stall?
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Sure, it's a date. :)
Dad helped me wrangle the thing into place, BTW. I'm not superman.

Then you can pretty well rest assured that your buddies *don't* want to show you the kind of appreciation you were expecting from SWMBO.

That's a pretty sad statement.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Well, so it's a sad statement? What do you propose I do about it? Tie a porkchop around my neck?

Not around your neck. You got that damned cheap grill, so cook it and invite us.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Heh. :)
Hafta wait. That cheap grill is covered in snow. :(

Of course it is. That's why it has to be turned on, so the snow melts. :)

of
That might work for a while and the neighborhood dogs would certainly be friendlier to you, but it'd probably start to stink after a while.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:50:48 -0500, Silvan

Oh yeah, that will attract the wimminz like nobody's business! :-)
Mark & Juanita wrote:

'Specially the three hundred pounders. ;-)

Well...you'd know they like putting things in their mouth...
Abe wrote:

Yeah, but he won't suggest going back to the bedroom. (I hope)
;-) Glen
Our hot water heater appears to be piling up as well. Sort of off & on whether or not it will fill the tub with hot. Seeing as I won't be home for another month or so, would you mind going to my place & putting one in there? I'll make sure that SWMBO brings you lots of beer, and she'll clean up all the mess. As far as the bedroom part goes, you may have to take care of that yourself.
P.