Wilton Mini Lathe - Alligning centers

I have got a Wilton 99177 mini lathe, and when checked the alignment of the centers by mounting a big block of wood on the face plate and then moving the dead center in the tail stock till it just touched, and moving the block by hand, it made a small circle about 3mm in diameter.

It looks like the tailstock cannot be adjusted. Does anyone know how to adjust the headstock on this lathe?

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Fantastico

Sat, Sep 17, 2005, 8:24am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Fantastico) who doth state in public: I have got a Wilton 99177 mini lathe, Does anyone know how to adjust the headstock on this lathe? I take it you have not tried asking the manufacturer.

JOAT If it ain't broke - fix it 'til it is.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

I don't own that particular lathe, but I had a similar problem with my rockwellized walker turner. Solution was to use shim stock under the tail stock 1/2 the size of the offending offset. But then I have a flat bed lathe with split ways. If your problem is side to side offset then you have a different kind of problem. How is the tail stock mounted? Tubes? or on the old style split ways bed? You might also check out rec.crafts.woodturning , the folks over there are a great help often too. I also believe there is a metalworking group.

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

An "Advanced Google Groups" search for "alignment headstock tailstock" turns up 145 hits. You may find something there:

"

no(SPAM)vasys

You might also check their website:

contact them -- I did a quick search on wilton tools-- the site was the second hit.

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)