Wilton 79A vise on Sale at Amazon

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:
It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway. When I compare it (36#) to a good miter gauge, it seems like a great value!
One feature I like, and will use, is: The front jaw moves up to 9/16 inch to act as a full-length dog (especially not the "plastic dog" I have seen at the ww-stores)!
I would probably have chosen a Record vise for sentimental reasons if one was available. I ought to be able to live with this one!
According to Amazon, they have 7 left, if anyone else here is interested.
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
I would have never thought the original price was $360.... for any woodworker's vise. You can check prices in your area, too, just type in your zip code. http://www.wiltontools.com/us/manufacturing/en/wilton/products.html?node=4546&category=7215&pim.page=3
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–

woodworker's vise. You can check prices in your area, too, just type in your zip code. http://www.wiltontools.com/us/manufacturing/en/wilton/products.html?nodeE46&categoryr15&pim.page=3

No, I never saw it at Amazon for $360. There seems to be a lot of nonsense in manufacturers' "suggested retail prices". But this vise has been $230 or so, for at least a year--which put it out of my comfort zone. So when the price dropped to $178 last night, including " shipping, I ordered it. Reading the reviews at Amazon, folks who bought the Wilton 79A seemed like a happier group than those who bought the comparable Jorgensen vise.
Cheers, Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Amazon link has the list price (lined out) at $360, so that what I was referring to.
Also, I didn't think you had bought yet, so I offered an option to compare pricing. I think you have a good vise and you'll be happy with it.
BTW, there's a Northtech saw in New Albany - http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg ήtails&id880
Looks to have a 12" blade on it. It's a big saw.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/5/2012 1:57 PM, Bill wrote:

Grainger shows it for $276, so 178 sounds good. I never bought a new vice my self, I've got 2 nice woodworkers vices, and 3 metal working vices. Most of them I got either free, or for a few bucks at auctions/garage sales.
--
Jack
βœ–
Jack wrote:

If I wasn't buiding the workbench I'm going to put it on I would likely feel differently. Putting on one of the ones I saw at auction would be like using "used hinges". The bench may as well look pretty for a day! : )
I've got 2 nice woodworkers vices, and 3 metal working

Add pictures here
βœ–
Bill a workbench is for working. I built a workbench last year. I put 2 old vises on it. I'm a lefty so they are opposite what you would use.
An old Wilton, and an old Morgan. The Jorg like came after the bench build. I made the bench so I can replace the vise.
See pics in binaries. I think mine looks good with that old hardware. Gives it some character.
On 4/6/2012 3:11 PM, Bill wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/6/2012 3:11 PM, Bill wrote:

My used vices probably looked better after I cleaned them up and painted them than they did new, or close. Besides, a good vice is not something to just look at. On the other hand, you need a vice, you got money, go for it.

--
Jack
βœ–
Jack wrote:

The UPS delivery told me twice that it looked like I got a good vise. I thanked him and told him I thought he had good taste.
BTW, the vise has become my 50th birthday present. I regard myself fortunate that I can afford it...I never have had and probably never will have a new car.
My original post was just to share the "price markdown" and my purchase with my friends here. I had already done my homework, read the reviews, visited the auctions, visited the retail stores, and completed my purchase before I posted.
I still have my eyes open for that used Unisaw!
Cheers, Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
Good luck with your new vise.
On 4/6/2012 5:25 PM, Bill wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
I think this is over priced. Each of my vises was gotten at either a garage sale or school sale.
I paid $3 for 2 of them, one I paid $5 for. And my best buy was a Jorgensen like quick release vise 12" size for $10 (its an old Morgan) .
I don't like that wilton. I have replaced one of my metal dogs with white oak. Safer on tools than the steel one.
Plastic is fine for a dog. The full length do is less of an asset than you think. But that is your call.
The record is hard to find right now used. But there are new knockoffs.
On 4/5/2012 12:12 AM, Bill wrote:

βœ–
On 4/4/2012 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)33598169&sr=8-3> It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit

You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on your parade.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

It *is* a good price and a vise that might well last a lifetime. I'm currently using a Record #53 vise with 10.5 inch wide jaws, but I'll sell it the same day that I can get a Tucker vise from Lee Valley.
Apparently, the Tucker vise manufacturing needs to be retooled before they begin production again, but I'm hoping it's done sooner than later.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/5/2012 2:47 PM, Dave wrote:

I've got an old, Made in Sheffield, 7" Record 52, which is all the woodworking vise I've ever needed.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

My father had an Emmert vise which is the heavy duty version of what the Tucker vise was modeled after. After he passed, it came to me, but the casting for the screw fell apart from what I guessed to be metal fatigue. I searched for more than ten years for someone to rebuild it for me, but eventually gave up. I disposed of all the parts after that. Damn near broke my heart. It was that vise that I associated with my father more than any other tool in his workshop.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ditto the $24 10-incher from HF I bought a decade ago. They're $40 now. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-woodworking-vise-42494.html Hecho en Chine.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 15:37:08 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com>

Then I probably don't what to hear what you have to say about my waiting/willingness to buy a Tucker vise for $700-$800.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Now that's a vise you won't find everyday. Em merit's are impossible to find and go for a fortune even used.
On 4/5/2012 3:50 PM, Dave wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

FWW's "Workbenches" special ($9.99US) hit the news stand this week. Pages 30-31 list the results of their bench tests for seven front vises. The Wilton 79A came in the middle of the pack in the overall performance evaluation. It tied for first in jaw size and jaw opening but got a downcheck because the "quick release doesn't re-engage immediately".
FWW listed street price as $215. They did not list weights, but it sure looks like it would be the heaviest when you look at the composite photograph. At your price plus free shipping and probably no sales tax, you got a good deal. Drop it off at my house if you decide you don't like it.
Same issue also includes separate evaluation of 6 single and twin screw vise "kits", which do not include jaws. LN and LV had the twin screw entries.
Regards, Roy
Add pictures here
βœ–