Williams & Hussey

I looked at the FAQs that I could find, and there may be other FAQs, but I am having trouble getting some opinions on the W&H planer/moulder.
Could somebody here point me in the right direction, please...or (even better) does any one here own one of those units? It seems pricey, but versatile.
Happy and prosperous 2005 to all.
Tom Watson had (and actually used) one.
Tom?
charlie b
I've got a W&H molder that I bought about a year ago. I've run probably 2 0r 3 thousand feet of material through it so far. It's really great for doing restoration work or additions where you are trying to match an existing profile. Just take a small piece of the old molding down, cut it off square and trace around it and send it off to have the cutter ground.
I bought mine to make new trim for the interior of my home. So far I've made some 8" baseboard, 4" casing, 3-1/2" chair rail and 5" backer, and a 3 piece built up crown mold. All this was run out of 3/4" MDF. It looks great after painting.
I recently purchased and installed an aftermarket variable speed drive and elipticial jig. The variable speed drive makes a huge inprovement in the versitility of the machine, and does away the the stupid leaking oil cup on the standard feed roller drive. The aftermarket elepticial jig is much nicer (but also more expensive, but worth it) than the W&H jig.
Shop Fox recently came out with a clone of the W&H for about half the price. I have seen the sitting side by side and they are VERY similar. I don't know if the aftermarket equipment would fit or not, I didn't look that closely.
Rick
I also have the W & H moulder. I bought it used to make top caps for baseboard mouldings. Originally it was bought to make the mouldings, and then resell it, but after seeing the nice mouldings it can make, it is a keeper. The same machine has been made for years, and it hasn't been changed because it works. I would like to hear from the previous poster as to where he got the aftermarket variable speeddrive and eliptical jig.
Google up Feedmaster Pro, $500.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

Yeah - it's a great machine. It does what it says it will do - which is damned uncommon.
Regards, Tom.

IIRC - TW was pretty pleased with his, or perhaps more precise "pained to see it go." Nahm's got one, ain't that enuff? :)
I've owned a W & H planner for about 20 years or so. It was much less expensive back then. I bot it used for a few hundred bucks. I've planned many hundreds of board feet in that time. I just use it as a planner. I wouldn't buy one today if I was just looking for a planner. Too expensive, but It is built like a battle ship and is made in the USA.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
I've owned a W & H planner for about 20 years. Great machine. Built like a battle ship and made in the USA.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.