will tool and wood prices soar (was Re: Fahrenheit 11-8)

snip

The Hyundai / Kia are the same "position" as the Toyota was in 1989.- and higher quality.

I bought both of my current used cars 5 years ago - and got the best deals I've gotten in 20 years. (here in Canada - not USA) And one of them was a dealer car - only the second used car I've bought from a dealer in over 30 years.Just got a car for my brother's father-in-law a few weeks ago. A few more miles than the one I bought

- same car 4 years newer - so virtually "the same car" - $2000 less than what I paid for mine. - bought this one from an independent used car dealer, bought mine from a Ford dealer. (Ford cars)

Reply to
clare

Nonsense. If you'd said 1979, maybe. Huyndai/Kia (same company) may be better cars than the Toy of '79, but they're no Toyota. The minivan is particularly atrocious. Your logic is the same one the government uses to tell us that hamburger is the same thing as steak.

Five years ago was at the end of the "cash for clunkers" era but even then, loans were hard to come by, few had money for new cars, and used cars went for premium $$. OTOH, there were spectacular deals on new cars.

No question that used cars are tanking now. With interest rates and "free" money all around, new cars are flying off the showroom floors. All of the makers are posting records.

Reply to
krw

I worked for Toyota throughout the '80s - I know what they were then. They were the best of the Japanese - and the Japanese were among the best in the world for basic transportation. Today South Korea has taken that market - Toyota has moved up-market - and even then, a Corolla (they don't make a wagon type vehicle for North American market any more) sedan is available for $22,000 +/-. That's $6000 more than 26 years ago and is no longer "basic transportation"..

Hyundai today is at least as good a car as a mid eighties Toyota - I would say markedly better. They are really knocking hard on Toyota's door, even today. I would buy a Hyundai over a Nissan or Mazda today. Forget Mitsubishi completely.

It would be a pretty close race between Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai for me if I was buying a new import.

Cash for Clunkers had little effect on cars in the 5-6 year old range. It got the old cheap cars off the road.

The price of used cars in Canada is artificially high because the good ones are being shipped across the border into the USA by the truckload, due in part to the low Canadian dollar. Even with that being true, used cars are a BARGAIN compared to years ago.

Some brands still command a premium - which is why I drive used Fords instead of used Toyotas or Hondas.

And the price of new cars - particularly GM, is at an all-time low when you look at average wage-hours worked to buy them.

Reply to
clare

Thinking of the number of wage-hours worked to buy them makes me drive less (truly). Sitting at a red light last month, and got rear-ended by new little white Buick driven by a 19 or 20 years old girl/woman (who must have obviously been-- ). Turns out her Progressive insurance who promised to take care of everything, wouldn't take care of everything...so off to small claims court we go... The disputed amount is about the same as my deductable, so I'm not bothering my insurer with it. So, in case you are curious like I was, I learned I wouldn't go with Flo, unless you're after something besides her policy. : ) Sorry I drifted off topic.

Reply to
Bill

The sticker on my Hyundai was $54,500. I guess it depends on the model when you compare. Toyota Corolla is $18,500 but you don't get a heated steering wheel. Generalities don't work well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Much like all the cheap electrics being piled on cars, these days. Electrics that will eventually fail ...or get hacked.

I use gloves. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The "electrics" on my Jeep started failing when it was around 12 years old. I don't think that this is a reasonable fear for people who trade every three years.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I specified Corolla vs Elantra. The Accent is significantly less - and actually closer to the '80's Corolla although positioned closer to the Tercel. And yes, you CAN spend $60,000 on a Hyundai!!!! (but not an Elantra unless you gold plate it - or possibly prepair it for Professional Rallying -))

Reply to
clare

Can't hack electrics. Electronics CAN be a different story (only if they have some sort of communications to the outside world / web or Bluetooth))

Reply to
clare

afraid to look

Reply to