Will a air fitration system remove smoke?

I am about ready to jump in with both feet and buy an air filtration system, such as Jet AFS-1000B, and I am wondering if this will help out the wood smoke that sometimes radiates from my wood stove. My gut feeling is that it will help. I have a lot of allergies and after a few hours in my shop.......the wood smoke has done more against me than the wood dust. I find, I spend more time blowing my nose than woodworking. All comments welcome as well as recommendations on systems. Shop area is: 24Dx36Wx16.5H. Not all of this is WW shop but there are no partitions, so I am looking to filter as much of this area as possible. Also, as you might have surmised this is a multi-function shop. Will these filtration units help out with welding fumes/dust/smoke. Only talking about occasional stick welding here. Thanks in advance. Lyndell

system,
it
Doubt it will do very much but can't hurt. Smoke is so fine you need a HEPA filter to do it right. You can buy a Honeywell Air Cleaner with a two stage filtration systems that will do the job also. It has a charcoal filter and a pre-filter. It may even work too good from the sawdust and need cleaning frequently compared to service in your home. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

system,
it
here.
My experiance is a yes, a filter will help. I do some metal working and run my filter when doing so. I notice a differance, the air is cleaner, my throat not so dry and scratchy afterwards. Greg
Sounds a lot like you need more flue pipe to get it to draw...

system,
it
24Dx36Wx16.5H.
here.

If in doubt, look around for a used "Filter Queen" canister vacuum. The genuine Filter Queen filters _will_ capture cigarette/pipe smoke, so there shouldn't be any problem with removing real wood smoke..
I might be a good idea to investigate why there's smoke in the first place. No sense in putting a band-aid where you need stitches.
Eide

system,
it
24Dx36Wx16.5H.
here.

Dear Woodworker: Call JDS. They make a charcoal filter just for this very reason. Call and ask for John, tell him Mike from American Sycamore told him to give you the good-guy sales price. Mike from American Sycamore

system,
it
24Dx36Wx16.5H.
surmised
here.
Yes, the JDS will remove smoke. I know somebody who uses them in two of his four restaurants rather than the "commercial" smoke eaters. Much cheaper, no monthly service contract (that's how they make their money, coming in to "service" the smoke eater).
I've had a Jet filter for about 2 yrs now and it works quite well on all types of airborne particles including the fine particles from burning wood. While it can't filter out those particles smaller than the actual filter size it does a great job of getting the worse offenders. I think you'll notice a real difference in both air quality as well as your allergies.