Wild Blue and satellite: not a happy customer

Charlie Self wrote in news:15fb5398-2bde-4bd8-9c6e- snipped-for-privacy@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

If I can help in any way, post or email me at opahan at yahoooo you know what.

Reply to
Han

Downloaded xnews, it can't find the server. I don't have time to play with it further right now. Family lunch coming up, so I need to change into clothing less like something plucked from my shop rags.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie Self wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

In Xnews: Special|Setup Xnews

I think that this link should answer all questions, but feel free. (I googled "Xnews setup")

Han

don't see any reason it should be illegal to adjust your dish.

Of course not. Its your "dish" / antenna mounted to your home and your equipment

Adjust the thing.

And, while your son is at it, check to see that your connections are weather tight and that you are running true HOME RUNS from the Dish to the equipment with out any splices for any reason in that/those line(s).

Might as well check the mounting bolts and braces, too.

Years ago I recall seeing a system that incorporated an alignment feature into the hardware. As I recall, one selected "Alignment" from a menu and then got a reading (if you were close) as to how far off the dish was and where to turn it to get a better signal. Don't see why they don't include this sort of software now - maybe the teh has a "back door" to access it. Check some other (than Woodworking) groups and you may find the answers from the geeks who live and breathe this stuff.

BTW Signup for a Google o Netzero account and use Edura or Outlook Express for your e-mailing. Much better than using web-based e-mail clients and much cheaper than AOL..

Netzero charges $9,95 or a year and includes 30 hours/month of dial-up access with this account - great when on the road or, in your case, when the Dish goes down but your local phone line works.

.
Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"bidirectional via satellite,"

Wow, did not know that. I thought one had to be connected to the phone line and to the dish with the uplink going via phone line and the downlink coming via the dish.

Not that it changes my opinion on adjusting - let the Feds swarm over my "complex" when NSA tells them I've adjusted my satellite dish after reading this posting an tracking us down.

We don't need no stinking badges!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I don't know how those satellite guys do it, but the cable companies hate to lose an account.

So far, every time I canceled, they came back with someone from "retention" to try and talk me out of quitting and, in the process, agreeing to my demands. I did this in FL with COMCAST and in NC with Charter.

Key is being prepare to actually walk away. Netscape will sign you up for $6.95/month for twelve month contract. I used that over local phone lines in NC until I got Charter TV/Phone/Internet for NET $54/ month! (after several complaints). And, when that deal runs out, I tell 'em "Sorry, too much, and switch back if they on't extend the deal.

These companies NEED subscribers - all the expense is sunk in setting up the cable/DSL/Satellite and they need us to recoup the original investments and show a profit to keep their stock afloat.

With the economy tanking, consumers are in a stronger position as foks begin to drop their cable for free TV we may see a softening in prices (for those who threaten to leave) . Unlike Food and Shelter, most of us can do w/o the TV and HS Net.

THe phone lines and central switches are all being upgraded to support DSL and that will improve POTS as a consequence.

Go ahead, hang up on them and see if they don't start calling you back and offering to send a guy out there to ix your problem "no charge."

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Another option for occasional dialup use is prepaid. I use bamnet when on the road in the 5th wheel and no wireless is available. You buy it in $20 increments and it uses $0.01/minute. No monthly bill!

have no affiliation other than as a satisfied user.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yeah that works but with HD there are several satelites to tweek to and signal strength is more important on HD than SD.

The 3rd Dish Network satellite system I installed for my father 12 or so years ago had a bad co-axial cable and the strength would go from great to terrible if I touched the cable. Of course moving the dish the slightest bit moved the cable. A new cable solved that but it tool me a couple of hours to isolate the problem.

Reply to
Leon

I've got dial-up (AOL) on my wife's computer. $9.95 a month,unlimited, now. At least I think so. It is still a PITA, but she doesn't want to learn another, so...Wildblue's program, according to my installer, won't work with AOL as a dial-up on the same computer, so, no dial-up here.

Right now, I'm just waiting. I've got 10 months, maybe less, on an 18 month contract that started last July 5. The long contract got the satellite and install for $233...$198 advertised cost, plus $35 shipping they don't tell you about, which should have been an indicator of what was to come. I am also hoping. The local cable set up is terrible. DSL should be better, if it ever gets here. If WIldblue can't accept amonth to month contract AND fix my problems, or most of them, within the next 10 months, I'll revert to dial up at 10 bucks a month. A third the speed, but 10% of the aggravation for 20% of the cost. That deal looks better each month...as long as it isn't AOL!

Reply to
Charlie Self

... snip

You shouldn't have any problem going month to month after the initial contract is up (at least that was the case with Direcway), they do the initial lock-in to supposedly recoup their investment in the "great deal" they give you on the hardware when you sign up.

Just as an aside, I've been using concentric

as my backup and travelling dial-up ISP; it is also the host for my web page. I've had them for years and have had both good service. When you pay for 6 months, it's about $18/month,

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thanks, Mark. I'll check into it. Right now, I'm in the final two months of a book, with three or four magazine articles to do in the same period, while also finishing my taxes. I hope to have the latter done today or tomorrow, one article out Friday, and maybe another

5,000 words of the book rolled through the keyboard by next Monday, but that means I won't be researching much else.
Reply to
Charlie Self