Why wood prices are going up

Page 7 of 7
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:28:06 -0400, Silvan wrote:

Well, now you do :-)

I was stung, moved to cash before the biggest hit, moved back to the market early this year and am mostly recovered from the market hit. You gotta pay attention to what's going on and act rather than simply watching and shrugging your shoulders.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Yeah, well, I can't even worry about it at this point. I have -$130,000 so far, and I need at least $500,000 for retirement. Yeah, right.
Silvan responds:

Fits my profile, except I may have to go 15 years after death.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Look into it. Bush has been expanding the cilly service without any reference to war, terrorism or much of anything else. Iraq is budgeted outside of the regular budget process. He and his cabinet have been expanding govt and spending willy nilly to do it. Never give any idiot in govt the benefit of the doubt.
Mike
: In general, I agree with most of the Republican platform - smaller : government
The federal government is larger under the Bush Jr. administration than under any administration since Johnson.
: stronger military
What do you think about the huge cuts in veteran benefits that occurred last spring?
    -- Andy Barss
I looked at the OPM site and another downsizing site. The US Civil service is about 2 million today. That is also about what it was during early Bush 1. It had been on a downsizing trend in the 90s but 9-11 and the TSA added 160,000 people.
Mike in Mystic asks:

Actually, independent, with a slight--very slight--conservative tilt, which does not mean I bend over and grab my ankles every time big business and its political buddies cranks up another screwing for John Q.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
Hmmm Makes me think of a statement I heard yesterday made by a founding father. It Started out "This government was made for a moral people....." The basic Gist is our government was designed to keep a basically honest people honest. As soon as The dishonest people became prevalent (E.g. monopolies, unfair employers) the Laws/regulations in the book grew in number.
--
Young Carpenter

More accurately, laws increased as "rights" of individuals overtook their sense of obligation.
Paranoia noted.

basic
monopolies,
There we go, a less cumbersome statement meaning the same thing.
--
Young Carpenter

(Charlie Self) wrote:

profit
extra
While some may have been out of jobs in Houston, I recall Houston in the 70 as being a boom town with it being hard to hold on to good help by 1974. It very easy to find a job in the 70's in Houston. At least every one I knew that was looking for a job including engineers were tossing coins to decide which company to go with.
In rec.woodworking

Leon, Houston was indeed booming in the 70s and employing tens of thousands of displayed auto workers from Michigan and other mid eaetern states. The Windfall Profits Tax was proposed by Jimmy Carter and was enacted in 1980. By 1983, Houston was a dustbowl with over 2000 forclosures a month, the VA and FHA were selling forclosed homes in lots of 100 for about .25 cents on the 1980 dollar.
While the rest of the US prospered on the low price of energy, we in the south floundered and even our own legislators and a Texas president could have cared less. Republican Phil Graham voted against federal money to retrain displaced oil workers. GWB did nothing to help us either.
Those engineers that were tossing coins to decide where to work? They didn't have coins to toss. I know guys that were making $5000 a month in 1980 that ended up working for $8 an hour 5 years later. Homes bought for $150k were forclosed and sold at auction for less than 1/2 that. One friend put $65,000, his entire life savings, down on a home and later lost it to forclosure. Even after that much down, he couldn't sell it for less than he owed.
All you folks despise the "evil" oil companies and forget that real people with families are working for them, just like you. We're trying to pay our bills, raise our kids and enjoy our lives too. Gasoline is, by an order of magnittue, the most inflation proof comodity there is. If the price of gas appreciated like the price of cars, you'd be paying $15 a gallon for it. But do you see me whining about the excess profits of GMAC, which are in fact, HUGE!! Nope because I want folks working in Michigan. It is good for this country. Ross Perot was right about that huge sucking sound of jobs going to Mexico and I hate it. I know it isn't good for the country.
Incidentally, I've done my part. I just bought a brand new GMC Yukon, nearly $40,000, and I did it with OIL money.
Bruce
Dontcha know: *the NE blackout caused a refinery to close for 4 days and
*folks decided to take vacations, just as their kids are getting back to school and
* someone discoved the mideast is unsettled (nothing to do w/population)
Renata
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:05:13 GMT, "Doug Winterburn"

Of course wood prices are going up. That stuff doesn't grow on trees, you know.
Lee

Yea, everybody knows OSB is made out of chips and particle board is made out of sawdust.
--
JC from Gnat Flats, Texas
Home of the Notso OK Corral

The article in our newspaper this morning said the Iraq purchases would have been a momentary blip if not for other factors coinciding. I don't remember them all, but one was that the mills had cut back production last fall vecause of low prices so reserve supply was nil.
And then there's Isobel :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Now she could be fun. Luckily I don't foresee her leaving a wake like Andrew or I might pack up and go contract out of my car;)
--
Young Carpenter