Why wood prices are going up

-- Is there no way that you can keep yourself from using this newsgroup as a place to vent on politics? At least mark it with OT

Reply to
Morgans

Is there no way that you can keep yourself from posting this same tripe every time you read something you don't like? At least skip over it, and don't bother the rest of us.

Furthermore, you've already proven that it doesn't make any difference if it

*is* marked OT, you're still gonna whine and moan about it anyway.
Reply to
Doug Miller

In article , "Morgans" wrote his usual whine about off-topic discussions, for the second time in as many minutes, thereby inviting this response:

PLONK

Doug Miller

Probably, that's why most pilots are much more careful than boaters.

I can get just as hurt or killed bombing my mountain bike down Mt. Snow at 60 MPH, but I still do it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I was in a hanger today of the Commemorative Air Force. They had a sign that said, "There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots."

:)

Reply to
Bruce

Being a rather serious motorcyclist, member of the Iron Butt Association and having ridden many thousands of miles safely I must take exception to your generalising. I am neither reckless nor do I possess any suicidal tendencies. Stick to analysing what you know about.

John Emm>

Reply to
John Emmons

An oldie but a goodie.

How many boaters run checklists every time they use the boat, with another checklist each time the boat is docked or released, and yet another when it's parked for the day?

I'll bet pleasure boats have exponentially more mechanical failures and accidents, per hour operated, than small aircraft.

I've also seen two, widely varying types of personalities between the typical private pilot and the typical pleasure boater. Anyone who thinks the typical private pilot has suicidal tendencies and is a daredevil has been watching too many movies.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ."

I've done both. Pilots are a very serious lot when it comes to caring for their equipment and doing the pre-flight. Too often, the only thing boaters check is that there is enough beer in the cooler. Fortunately, that is starting to change and safety courses for boating are mandatory in many states. . Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Kim Whitmyre wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.mminternet.com:

American companies are where most of the money is being spent. That money comes back home. Plus the final bill gets repaid with the Iraqi oil money. The US pretty much broke even in the last Gulf War and by some accounts may have even made some money by the time eveyone chipped in to cover their part of the expenses. I personally know guys that are thinking of going over there and get a piece of the pie, specifically, going to work for Halliburton as well as other companies, getting the oil fields lined out again. Lots of other jobs getting the refineries and all the surface production equipment repaired. It takes a lot to keep that equipment functioning correctly with regular maintenance. I work on it for a living and it is a chore, believe me. With the neglect that country's infrastructure has seen I'll bet the oil fields are in a helluva mess. The figures I am hearing are approching $140K and up tax free just working as hands and pushing crews. If I didn't already have a pretty good oil field job right now, I would be thinking about it pretty hard myself. ;-)

Reply to
Michael Burton

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganator.family.lan:

I hadn't heard about prices coming down. I have been wanting a small plane for a loooong time. Something like a Cessna 150 or 172 or the like. I have a buddy that lives across the street from me that flys Airbus A300/600 for Fed Ex and is also an instructor pilot. I may have to do a little more checking on this. We have some gorgeous flying weather where I live.

Reply to
Michael Burton

Oh, don't worry, I feel the same about everybody who rides as a passenger on one of those things too. I used to fly with Dad, and ride on his motorcycle, but that was when I was young and had no sense of my own mortality.

Before I had the really horrible car wreck IOW. The one that could have been so very much worse than it was, which was so completely beyond my control. I didn't get injured, and neither did the other guy, but if the angles or velocities had been the slightest bit different, one or both of us would have been brutally mangled. It completely killed my spirit of adventure.

Now I'm just a big ol' chickenshit, and I won't ride in anything with less than four wheels, or anything that puts me more than eight feet off the ground.

Reply to
Silvan

There is personal profit to be made, as always, in war. Unfortunately, even if we neglect the ethical considerations, most of this profit goes to a very, very small percentage of "Americans." Ergo, it's a losing proposition for most Americans.

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

Possibly true, and by this same logic, since only 3000 out of 300,000,000 people were killed on 9/11, it's probably not much to worry about. Why, that's only 1/10th of the number of automobile accident victims we have every year, and nobody raises a fuss about that.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

And even fewer raise a fuss about the foreign policy that has, over many years, engendered the hatred that the towers are only a symptom of. . .I guess as long as I'm fat and happy, the rest of the world can go to hell in a handbasket, eh?

Logic?

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

A healthy bill from SeaTow can also cause a major attitude adjustment.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Check around, it may be more affordable than you'd think.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Foreign policy makes no difference to radical Islam - they hate us because we exist and we are infidels. The attacks around the world aren't aimed at only the US, but also other infidels. We happen to be the most powerful collection of infidels and are therefore a preferred target. That is the logic of this war.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I'm just basing all of this on a four page article in Popular Mechanics this month. It goes on about how there's a whole new generation of "sport" aircraft that are going to be approved by the FAA soon. The Cessna 150 (or

172, I forget) is held out as an example of the old school bottom end at $150,000, and the article talks about all the
Reply to
Silvan