Why wood prices are going up

Page 5 of 7
Well, I think the events of September 11th and the ensuing war on terrorism have definitely caused some approaches in financial terms to change dramatically, but in general I feel that President Bush's fiscal approach has been economically sound and I agree with it. In point of fact, the Presidential office has very little to do with actual economic trends and when people try to make that kind of argument it only shows how little they understand about economics.
I'm not real thrilled about the high billions of dollars being spent on Iraq, but that's the situation at this point. I'm not going to pretend to know what the best way to approach that is.
In general, I agree with most of the Republican platform - smaller government, stronger military, lower taxes. I felt like puking my guts up when Clinton downsized military bases and ballooned social programs. But, thankfully, we live in a free country where differing opinions are welcome. My Dad and I are the only Republicans in my family (that makes us 2 vs. about 40, counting aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc.), so I learned long ago that trying to convince a Republican of the virtues of being a Democrat and vice versa is an exercise in futility.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

The only problem with the Bush administration is that the smaller government has grown from nearly 4 million to well over 12 million people. Where has the Republican smaller government gone to? I realize that "smaller government" means more about less regulation but this is a lame way to decrease the unemployment figures. And the lower taxes will soon rise due to the rebuilding of Iraq (though somehow the Democrats will be blamed).
I personally loathe all politicians but I'm a disgruntled Republican at the moment. I'm still trying to figure out why our schools have cut out music programs, shop, teaching for advanced students, have three administrators for every one teacher, etc., and still want more money. Seems that 89 billion would help more here in the states instead of rebuilding a country that is supposed to have trillions of dollars in oil reserves.........
Gary

Anyone who believes the Remocrats or the Depublicans are for smaller government has not been paying attention. The uniparty that the GOP/DNC has become is always going to expand the government. They are all at the mercy of the "4th branch of government" the civil service union.
Greg Fretwell writes:

Sort of like Mobile/Exxon and Shell/Texaco. But who's in the catbird seat?
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson

First, I don't necessarily dispute the figure, but can you back up the 4 million to 12 million number? I'd be shocked to learn than there were only 4 million federal government workers when Bush took office (even excluding the military). Heck, I'd be suprised if it was only 12 million before or after.
I don't have an answer where the money goes in the rat hole we call the public education system. Seems that I just saw a report that says the United States spends more money per child on education than any other major country in the world. My children aren't in school yet, so I haven't had an up-close look at the school system as an adult. Maybe I'd have a better handle on the problem if I did. And the states are screaming for more federal money because the feds are mandating testing that the states say they don't have the money for. I guess if they were doing their job in the first place, all of this testing wouldn't be necessary.
I'm a mildly disgruntled Republican in that I haven't agreed with everything this administration has done. I think there have been mistakes, but unfortunately, there isn't a book that tells you what to do after terrorist-controlled planes kill a few thousand Americans. My hope for Iraq is that there is a broader strategy at work that is aimed at containing the Middle East, but it's the kind of plan you can't publish in the newspaper. You can't convince me that the whole idea is to get some sweetheart deals for Haliburton. Laura Bush would not be married to someone who would trade American lives for Haliburton contracts.
todd
I feel for you. My last one is graduates from High School this year.
In the past 20 years I have watched the public school system deteriorate, while the taxes to pay for it increase to disbelief (I will pay $7000+ in school taxes alone for 2003 on my only residence ... just got the bill).
From where I sit the biggest impediment to education in this neck of the woods, as politically incorrect as it may appear, is racial bickering. Racial issues permeate every single decision in this school district to such an extent that the educrats, black, brown, or white, are paralyzed into ineffectualness making sure that someone else doesn't get something they don't. The only aim they serve is shooting themselves in their collective foot.
I will say this unequivocally about Bush's education appointment. Rod Paige is an idiot and a closet bigot. He was one when he was here, and he is a bigger one in Washington. The man speaks in pleasing platitudes and fully expects his words alone to take the place of actions. This is not arrogance. He is, in short, and typical of so many of our educrats, educated beyond his intelligence. He is simply incapable of any action that is not politically or racially motivated. Under his administration cheating on standardized tests was rampant and fraud in almost every aspect of his administration kept the local TV "investigative journalist" in beans and weenies during his tenure.
With him at the Federal level, expect things to only get worse for the rest of you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03

That sounds like a big number to me too. We do have to bear in mind the DEMOCRATS are the ones who insisted on the government running the airport security. That added about 50,000 employees the first day.

The employment figures were discussed on one of the network news broadcasts a few weaks back. I don't remember which one. And of course, the media is always correct in what they report <g>.
When I get more time I'll try searching for more info.
Now to post a question elsewhere on a woodworking issue.
Gary

Interesting _fact_. In the first three years in office, Clinton increased govt spending by 3.5%. In the first three years of Bush jr's term, he increased spending by 13.5%.
Start puking.
Mike PS - your grandchildren will be spitting on your grave when they see the govt debts they've inherited. Debt-based government is the most immoral form of theft and fraud. I thas been a fact of life in all western countries, and all political parties (left, right or centre) for the last 35 years or so. Tax cuts? yeah, right...
comparing those two spending figures is ridiculous. Different situations entirely. Clinton was lucky enough to be President during a boom in the economy (which he had absolutely nothing to do with) and Bush is fighting wars all over the world. I'll grant you that even as a staunch Republican I'm a little tired of paying for freedom in far off lands, but you can't blame spending increases like that solely on the President. After 9/11 you can't have expected us to sit by and reduce spending.
And as far as my grandchildren being pissed at me for leaving them debt, that's the least of my worries. I honestly wonder if we'll make it through the baby boomers retiring. When the average age of the largest demographic group becomes older than retirement age, issues become ridiculously skewed. Old sick people seem to think they deserve medicine for free. They think everyone is out to get them and that everything costs too much. At least they'll vacate a lot of the workforce and we shouldn't have a job shortage. Well, as long as NAFTA get's revoked <vbeg> hehe.
These arguments are hilarious, neither of us can escape our ultimate doom at the hands of self-serving political machines. At least we have wood and tools and hopefully some time to use them to good effect.
Mike
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Mike in Mystic responds:

Yeah, you could. He could have spent the money protecting the U.S.
I do love this bit though: Clinton had nothing to do with the good times on his watch, but all the crap that's falling on Bush is Clinton's fault.

Not all old people are sick. Not all need free medicine. But it would help if pharmaceutical companies didn't put the screws to consumers. As the boomers vacate the workforce, something that will happen in a big rush starting very, very soon, you won't have to worry about NAFTA or anything else taking jobs away. There will be openings everywhere.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

How? If you have a better plan, call or write your congress critter.
The concept of fighting wars, even broad ones against terrorism, away from these shores if possible, is a good one. Sure, it cost's money, lots of it, and lives ... but a damn sight fewer of _our_ women and children are lost that way. How soon you forget.

As if the previous administration's inaction on terrorism had no impact whatsoever on what you are seeing now.
I have tax returns from two businesses, along with a kid's dwindling college fund, that prove inarguably the economy was faltering months _before_ Bush took office. Then 9/11.
This is real easy to document for those who shy away from the knee jerk, blame the other party, reactions to every issue that crops up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03

Bush ain't "the other party." He's an opportunistic clown who has bankrupted every business he ever ran. As someone once said, he "was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple."
None of that makes him Mr. Republican.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
"Opportunistic clown"? ... sounds more fitting for someone who got his knob polished in the Oval Office.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03

It might, but, then I wasn't describing anyone getting their knob polished anywhere since it's a total irrelevancy.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
Lying under oath, impeachment and disbarment ... "total irrelevancies". What a champion for the old cause, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03

Why don't you wait until you catch the ball before you run with it. You get a lot of drops doing it your way. I didn't mention Clinton to start with. You mentioned knob polishing. I responded to that comment. You add more about Clinton.
All of which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with George W. Bush and his abilities or lack of, something you are having a problem grasping, and something I'm not interested in pursuing further at this time.
Charlie Self
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson
You didn't mention Clinton? Read your own words: "I do love this bit though: Clinton had nothing to do with the good times on his watch, but all the crap that's falling on Bush is Clinton's fault."
Your memory is apparently as short as your reversionary tendencies are long.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03
On 19 Sep 2003 22:58:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

This is why I read this NG almost every day. Two accomplished woodworkers, who are nice guys and gentlemen, discussing politics.
I'm just gonna sit back and read.
Barry
Here I go ... to get the Windex to clean the Jack/water off the monitor. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/13/03