Why wood prices are going up

Page 2 of 7
says...

American companies are where most of the money is being spent. That money comes back home. Plus the final bill gets repaid with the Iraqi oil money. The US pretty much broke even in the last Gulf War and by some accounts may have even made some money by the time eveyone chipped in to cover their part of the expenses.     I personally know guys that are thinking of going over there and get a piece of the pie, specifically, going to work for Halliburton as well as other companies, getting the oil fields lined out again. Lots of other jobs getting the refineries and all the surface production equipment repaired. It takes a lot to keep that equipment functioning correctly with regular maintenance. I work on it for a living and it is a chore, believe me. With the neglect that country's infrastructure has seen I'll bet the oil fields are in a helluva mess.      The figures I am hearing are approching $140K and up tax free just working as hands and pushing crews. If I didn't already have a pretty good oil field job right now, I would be thinking about it pretty hard myself. ;-)
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

There is personal profit to be made, as always, in war. Unfortunately, even if we neglect the ethical considerations, most of this profit goes to a very, very small percentage of "Americans." Ergo, it's a losing proposition for most Americans.
Kim
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:17:37 -0700, Kim Whitmyre wrote:

Possibly true, and by this same logic, since only 3000 out of 300,000,000 people were killed on 9/11, it's probably not much to worry about. Why, that's only 1/10th of the number of automobile accident victims we have every year, and nobody raises a fuss about that.
-Doug
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

years, engendered the hatred that the towers are only a symptom of. . .I guess as long as I'm fat and happy, the rest of the world can go to hell in a handbasket, eh?
Logic?
Kim
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:38:18 -0700, Kim Whitmyre wrote:

Foreign policy makes no difference to radical Islam - they hate us because we exist and we are infidels. The attacks around the world aren't aimed at only the US, but also other infidels. We happen to be the most powerful collection of infidels and are therefore a preferred target. That is the logic of this war.
-Doug
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

rec.woodworking forum any longer. . .
Kim
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:23:17 -0700, Kim Whitmyre wrote:

LOL - OK, but since you already bought that bridge, you can keep it. The left, right and words of the murderers all say this is about converting us or killing us...
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/nightline/World/sept11_terrorwar030911.html http://www.nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock120302.asp
I don't have any idea who is feeding you the idea that 911 was our fault instead of the fault of the murderers. I certainly don't plan on taking up their beliefs to get them to stop their terrorism.
-Doug

It's even worse. Of those 3,000 many were not Americans. Lot's of people conveniently "forget" that.
Dennis Vogel
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:51:21 -0400, Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

For any who may have forgotten, here are the statistics:
http://66.223.12.161/september11Victims/COUNTRY_CITIZENSHIP.htm
-Doug
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 04:16:08 GMT, "Leon"

Premium hit? <G>
Premium here in CT is currently $1.98-$2.05. Yesterday I paid $2.01 for my 93 octane lawn mower gas. We paid $2.99 a gallon last weekend for 100LL aviation gas for my buddy's plane, and that has a lot less taxes than "street gas".
87 octane is $1.79-$1.90.
Barry

Yeah but you live in CT, every thing there is within spittin distance.. ;~) A typical to work and back trip is 40 miles in Houston. PLUS..!!!! All you CT folk is rich ain't ya???? I guess we all could be in CA... LOL
haha
I'm in CT, too and my wife drives 52 miles each way to work, and that's usually in an SUV that get's 18 mpg on a good day. :( The last 3 times I've filled up I had to pay over $30.
Of course, I only drive 6 miles each way to work, so I'm not really complaining.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

It cost me $15 to fill up my car. I'll have to fill it up again in late October or early November.
I probably get worse mileage than that SUV because of some un-fixable ignition problem, but I only drive an average of 18 miles a week. (Well, to work and back anyway. I actually drive an average of 2,000 miles a week, but that's another matter.)

OK,, Yugo's don't count..

Hehe, I've got a '90 Caprice with a 24.5 gallon tank. . . Premium is still over $2 here in Southern California. I try to fill it before its half empty, seems better that way ;~)
Kim
Reminds me of this joke I heard in OK. Says this farmer: what do you mean, gas prices are higher? I don't notice. I always fill up for $10 at the same station. HNB

Leon wrote:

It's a 1987 Oldsmobile thank you very much.
In rec.woodworking

Plus is right. I drive Katy to the Astrodome area, 37 miles EACH way!!
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

I have to drive 33 miles, up hill both ways, to get to work ;)
Wes