Why wood prices are going up

Less trouble - dunno 'bout that - but sure as hell wouldn't give us the Test Platform we need for these new weapons...

Reply to
mttt

Dennis Vogel responds:

Dunno, but if memory serves, Nixon was the one who introduced the windfall profits regulations during our first, greatest gas crisis (another invention of our Middle Eastern buddies).

Hard to believe, isn't it?

Charlie Self

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

Reply to
Charlie Self

But Charlie, give credit where credit is due. The only people with a worse track record of international screwups are the Btrit's. They GAVE Iraq and the rest of the middle East away - and with it the oil. Woops. Forgot the French. But they are so sorry they are a lesson unto themselves.

Reply to
Ramsey

The British gave away the Middle East?...what an interesting way to think of someone else's land.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

Rather have such for Americans than fork it over for imperial ambitions. . .

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

It cost me $15 to fill up my car. I'll have to fill it up again in late October or early November.

I probably get worse mileage than that SUV because of some un-fixable ignition problem, but I only drive an average of 18 miles a week. (Well, to work and back anyway. I actually drive an average of 2,000 miles a week, but that's another matter.)

Reply to
Silvan

I'd rather not as I have perfectly good private drug coverage that will go the way of the dodo bird if this passes, and with government efficiency to replace it :-( Seems rather strange to provide taxpayer paid benefits to people who have already provided those benefits for themselves. I'd much rather pay the 400 billion to fight and defeat those who would harm us in their own lairs rather than waiting for them to come to us as we know they will if we do nothing.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

OK,, Yugo's don't count..

Reply to
Leon

Hehe, I've got a '90 Caprice with a 24.5 gallon tank. . . Premium is still over $2 here in Southern California. I try to fill it before its half empty, seems better that way ;~)

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

Reminds me of this joke I heard in OK. Says this farmer: what do you mean, gas prices are higher? I don't notice. I always fill up for $10 at the same station. HNB

Reply to
hbakker

Now she could be fun. Luckily I don't foresee her leaving a wake like Andrew or I might pack up and go contract out of my car;)

Reply to
Young Carpenter

Builder online article (or was it JLC) gave an overview. It is not actually rebuilding Iraq. Iraq is more like Florida, there isn't much you want to build outa wood if you can help it. The wood is actually supplying the military. No shortage? Well yes and know. Short here but no shortage of stock. I could go into the part about tree huggers and spotted owls putting 1,000s of people out of work over the past 10 years.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

I was simply relaying what our local news said. IMO its BS as I don't forsee the Gov ever buying enough wood here to ship over there such that it would increase prices 3+ fold. I agree with Leon, Oil Industry pricing, aka creative financing and scalping.

Reply to
Grandpa

It's a 1987 Oldsmobile thank you very much.

Reply to
Silvan

Sure, let's kill the industry again. I lived through that ill conceived idea, right her in Texas buddy. It put hundreds of thousands on the streets and killed the city of Houston for a decade. Screw that.

You want to talk windfall profits? Take a look at pharamacuticals, banking, finance and medicine and leave the god damn oil industry alone.

Reply to
Bruce

Well, to quote a Anthony Hopkins movie line, "Never feel sorry for a man that owns his own plane."

Reply to
Bruce

Plus is right. I drive Katy to the Astrodome area, 37 miles EACH way!!

Reply to
Bruce

Sure. Let 'em gouge the consumer to keep some others working.

I can't argue at least the pharmaceuticals need controls, but what they really need is there is a share-out with other countries for the R&D, so the U.S. consumer doesn't pay the entire load for the entire world. The medical industry is a real case. I don't even begin to know what the solution is.

But I'm not exactly sure how a windfall profits tax could have done so much damage: it taxed only excess profits.

Check your info. I think it was the Arabs and their shutting off the oil taps that created the Houson problem.

If it wasn't, and the oil industry needs to screw the consumer more than it normally does just to stay in business, then it's really time for tighter regulation.

Charlie Self

"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime. " Adlai E. Stevenson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Did you know that you can buy a decent four seat aircraft for less than what many soccer moms pay for an SUV?

That 35-40k plane will hold it's value much better than the SUV, as it's already had some depreciation, and will probably outlast the SUV to boot.

Another friend and myself are currently looking in the 45-50k range for a plane to go halves on.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Of course an SUV doesn't require expensive annual maintenance by certified AP mechanics, hanger storage fees etc. Very few "poor" people own planes. I wouldn't even consider it and my salary has 6 digits in it.

Reply to
Bruce