why sellers love ebay

Page 2 of 2

On two occasions I've paid what I thought were outrageous shipping charges, because the total cost wasn't too far out of line. In both cases, the items arrived *very* well packed, using those expanding-foam bags (which aren't cheap).
This is a bit of a gamble, though, because some sellers know how to pack stuff and some don't. On the whole I've done OK by avoiding sellers who are obviously clueless.
I am building a pool and my neighbors think I am simply having it delivered fedx/ups. I bought lots of stuff on Ebay but I agree, if you aren't careful you will pay a lot more than retail. It is always best to see what a new one costs before you start to bid.
BTW my only screwing on Ebay, from over 100 transactions, came from this pool thing. A guy advertised a 30' corded underwater light and the cord was TWO 15' pieces in the box. I almost got enough of a laugh about it to get over it. If he dad been willing to tell me a story I would have just written it off as some bad luck bargain shopping but he refused to answer my Email and then said I must have cut the cord in his feedback.

they
I'll paraphrase HL: No one ever went broke underestimating the *intelligence*...
That damn thing sold for almost double the price of a brand new one !!! I have a G1017 I will be listing soon. Maybe I can get $600 for it....LOL
Todd L

they
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:02:26 -0700, Todd L wrote:
<snip 'Bay mania>
I've been stalking planes on eBay for about a week now. Found what looked like a nice #8 and planned to bid when the time was right. <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itema00572832&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Looks like a couple of newbies decided to play ping-pong with their bids. For comparison, I offer this snipped from Patrick Leach's latest tool list:
ST3 #8 jointer; a type 6 model from the late 1880's, with all original parts, including the '92 patent iron, which is full length; 98% japanning, as found, with no damage other than the tiniest chip at the extreme end of the tote, it has a uniform brown patina to the machined surfaces; will clean to be far nicer than usual examples, this is a workhorse from the classic era of Stanley tools; a perfect worker for those who like them old. $165.00
Patrick's planes typically sell for more than the prices you see on eBay, but then you know exactly what you're getting. My jaw dropped as I saw the bids rise, then rise, then rise some more...
--
Joe Wells

Ebay...keep a source like Amazon (ToolCrib I guess) live while searching. My experience is that you may get a great deal from time to time on EBay but a lot of times the shipping charges will kill you.
If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is usually a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as you get into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill and the seller only pays that small listing charge. While shills are a violation of EBay rules, let's get real...absolutely no way to prove it. You'll know when the same item shows up again a few weeks later.
If the deal is really too great to be true and the seller is afraid of the "shill rule", they can simply cancel the auction. That is my biggest gripe...buyers are bound but sellers aren't.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itema00572832&sspagename=ST RK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1>

Ebay has even made it easier than that. They have a "second chance" deal where the seller can go to the "loser" with a chance to buy it for his last bid if the original deal falls through. That makes the "shill" idea virtually guaranteed. I usually watch items that seem to recur (usually a dealer), bid a small number and wait until everyone who wants one has got one. Sometimes a day after something went for over $100, I can snag another one for $20 or less. That is particularly true of high volume PC parts where they list lots of identical items.
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:19:35 +0000, Tom Kohlman wrote:

Yeah, hadn't considered that. Once the bidding was past what I was willing to pay, I just sat back and watched. When it comes to eBay, I bid once, within the last minute, the max that I'm willing to pay. Then I walk away.
--
Joe Wells

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:19:35 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

I never bid if they don't disclose the shipping charges - I've been burned on that before with $10 shipping on something that came via first class mail for under a dollar. I always factor the total cost including shipping (make sure you compare apples and apples by including appropriate shipping charges from Amazon or whoever).
I tend to buy used books, often somewhat hard to find ones that can run up the cost pretty fast. Most of the good book bargains are in large lots. Better source for particular books is ABE. (although often *much* more expensive than ebay. When bidding on a book last printed in 1915 a reasonable bid is whatever it is worth to you, since you probably can't find it anywhere else at any price.

I've been on ebay for quite a few years and my impression is that there may be some shill bidding, but for the most part it is pretty legit. Your mileage and impressions may vary.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 7:23pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (JoeWells) says: I've been stalking planes on eBay <snip>
Start looking in the off-the-wall flea markets, etc. I've seen some similarr planes in the $25-35 range. Of course, at the time they were way out of my price range. LOL I've finally got to the point I've got a few $ I can spare, maybe I should get out and start checking again myself.
JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.
"There's a sucker born every minute" PT Barnum

they