why sellers love ebay

I sell myself, but check this out:

is not my listing, but now check this out:

new delivered to your door for $223 As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and they pay more than retail.

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

$38 shipping

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 11:02am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Todd=A0L) As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and they pay more than retail.

People refuse to remember, you need to do your homework.

I have had 7 volumes of an 8 volume set, for years. Mechanical stuff, not woodworking. Picked them up for about $2-3 each. Been looking for years for the missing volume. Lately checking eBay. Yep. Usually $5 starting bid, or higher, plus the shipping, which most sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than I wanted to pay. I need to watch pennies at times. Checked some book sellers too. Hmmm, they're usually wanting about $45 per volume. So, kept checking eBay. Found a seller with 7 of the 8 volumes, including the one I wanted. Hah. I was high bidder, cost me $11 something, plus just under $5, shipping. Heh heh. Now I can sell the 6 extras on eBay, and charge real shipping costs.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Duh, look at Grizzly, the $223 includes shipping !!!!!!!

Todd L

Todd L

I am building a pool and my neighbors think I am simply having it delivered fedx/ups. I bought lots of stuff on Ebay but I agree, if you aren't careful you will pay a lot more than retail. It is always best to see what a new one costs before you start to bid.

BTW my only screwing on Ebay, from over 100 transactions, came from this pool thing. A guy advertised a 30' corded underwater light and the cord was TWO 15' pieces in the box. I almost got enough of a laugh about it to get over it. If he dad been willing to tell me a story I would have just written it off as some bad luck bargain shopping but he refused to answer my Email and then said I must have cut the cord in his feedback.

Reply to
Greg

I'll paraphrase HL: No one ever went broke underestimating the

*intelligence*...
Reply to
mttt

People refuse to remember, you need to do your homework.

I have had 7 volumes of an 8 volume set, for years. Mechanical stuff, not woodworking. Picked them up for about $2-3 each. Been looking for years for the missing volume. Lately checking eBay. Yep. Usually $5 starting bid, or higher, plus the shipping, which most sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than I wanted to pay. I need to watch pennies at times. Checked some book sellers too. Hmmm, they're usually wanting about $45 per volume. So, kept checking eBay. Found a seller with 7 of the 8 volumes, including the one I wanted. Hah. I was high bidder, cost me $11 something, plus just under $5, shipping. Heh heh. Now I can sell the 6 extras on eBay, and charge real shipping costs.

its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they perceive to be too high of shipping costs.

ive said it before ill say it again:

1) ebay doesnt take a cut of the shipping costs. its better for the seller to charge higher shipping. 2) price of item + price of shipping = total price. you pay the total price regardless of which part was shipping and which part was the item. 3) there is indeed a logical, viable reason to charge for handling. i dont see people complaining about ronco stuff for charging too much for shipping, or any other 'as seen on tv' stuff.. just ebay.

you're complaining that you paid 5 bucks shipping. exactly how much do you feel you overpaid. a dollar? you're taking moral high ground for offering to use real shipping costs because of a dollar?

so anyway. im done. in the end, i guess people just love to critique ebay and its sellers.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

That damn thing sold for almost double the price of a brand new one !!! I have a G1017 I will be listing soon. Maybe I can get $600 for it....LOL

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:02:26 -0700, Todd L wrote:

Reply to
Joe Wells

Ebay...keep a source like Amazon (ToolCrib I guess) live while searching. My experience is that you may get a great deal from time to time on EBay but a lot of times the shipping charges will kill you.

If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is usually a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as you get into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill and the seller only pays that small listing charge. While shills are a violation of EBay rules, let's get real...absolutely no way to prove it. You'll know when the same item shows up again a few weeks later.

If the deal is really too great to be true and the seller is afraid of the "shill rule", they can simply cancel the auction. That is my biggest gripe...buyers are bound but sellers aren't.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Ebay has even made it easier than that. They have a "second chance" deal where the seller can go to the "loser" with a chance to buy it for his last bid if the original deal falls through. That makes the "shill" idea virtually guaranteed. I usually watch items that seem to recur (usually a dealer), bid a small number and wait until everyone who wants one has got one. Sometimes a day after something went for over $100, I can snag another one for $20 or less. That is particularly true of high volume PC parts where they list lots of identical items.

Reply to
Greg

Yeah, hadn't considered that. Once the bidding was past what I was willing to pay, I just sat back and watched. When it comes to eBay, I bid once, within the last minute, the max that I'm willing to pay. Then I walk away.

Reply to
Joe Wells

"There's a sucker born every minute" PT Barnum

Reply to
bob

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 5:09pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) puts out: its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they perceive to be too high of shipping costs.

I consider "too high of shipping costs", when the seller is obviously overcharging on shipping charges. $5 to ship a book that actually costs just over $1 in postage is overcharging is my book. I have no problem with a minor difference between the quoted shipping and actual postage.

ive said it before ill say it again:

1) ebay doesnt take a cut of the shipping costs.

Yes, everyone knows that.

its better for the seller to charge higher shipping.

That's your opinion.

2) price of item + price of shipping = total price. you pay the total price regardless of which part was shipping and which part was the item.

No kidding? I didn't know that. Gee, thanks for letting me know.

3) there is indeed a logical, viable reason to charge for handling.

Gee, you mean I should have said "shipping AND handling", instead of just "shipping"?

i dont see people complaining about ronco stuff for charging too much for shipping, or any other 'as seen on tv' stuff.. just ebay.

Why should I complain about Ronco? I don't buy from them. Too expensive. Besides, the thread is about eBay, not Ronco.

you're complaining that you paid 5 bucks shipping.

No. I got an excellent shipping (and handling) rate, I was charged media rate. I had actually expected it to be a bit more. You need to read what I said.

exactly how much do you feel you overpaid. a dollar?

See above.

you're taking moral high ground for offering to use real shipping costs because of a dollar? so anyway. im done. in the end, i guess people just love to critique ebay and its sellers.

And some love to critique eBay buyers.

If you read my original post, therein I say, "plus the shipping, which most sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than I wanted to pay."

For future reference, media rate is considerable LESS then $5 a book, unless it's a Helluva big book. $5+ for a book, plus $5 for shipping it, comes to more than I cared to pay. That is, it would have made it cost more than it was worth to me.

I've seen a lot of crap on eBay, low selling price, and way high shipping. I've bought stuff mail order, maybe $5 shipping, and seen the same stuff on eBay, up to $40 shipping.

Anything I sell, or not sell, on eBay, I will ask actual shipping costs. That's the cost of postage (or UPS fee, whatever), plus any other incurred expenses (boxes, wrapping paper, etc., bought). If I have an box on hand, or a paper bag I can use, that's not charged. I go to the post office every day anyway, so gas isn't included. I belive that a reputable seller should not expect to make a profit of shipping (and handling) charges. If I underestimate postage a bit, I swallow the extra. If I overestimate a bit, it's not because I did it intentionally, and I try not to next time. I try to give a buyer a fair value for their money, and to not try to make a profit from overcharging on shipping. I feel better about myself as a person. I believe in trying to abide by so-called "Christian values" (even tho a lot of Christians don't, and I don't consider myself a Christian), it's called trying to be a good person. That's my "moral high ground".

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 7:23pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Joe=A0Wells) says: I've been stalking planes on eBay

Start looking in the off-the-wall flea markets, etc. I've seen some similarr planes in the $25-35 range. Of course, at the time they were way out of my price range. LOL I've finally got to the point I've got a few $ I can spare, maybe I should get out and start checking again myself.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

I never bid if they don't disclose the shipping charges - I've been burned on that before with $10 shipping on something that came via first class mail for under a dollar. I always factor the total cost including shipping (make sure you compare apples and apples by including appropriate shipping charges from Amazon or whoever).

I tend to buy used books, often somewhat hard to find ones that can run up the cost pretty fast. Most of the good book bargains are in large lots. Better source for particular books is ABE. (although often

*much* more expensive than ebay. When bidding on a book last printed in 1915 a reasonable bid is whatever it is worth to you, since you probably can't find it anywhere else at any price.

I've been on ebay for quite a few years and my impression is that there may be some shill bidding, but for the most part it is pretty legit. Your mileage and impressions may vary.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 11:16am snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (J.=A0Clarke) says: Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

Oh, yes, I fogot to consider the used cereal box, the nickel's worth of tape, the old newspaper page used for padding, plus all the time, effort, and knowledge, to wrap it, etc. And, then there's the skilled labor of writing out the label. Maybe that excuses the extra $3.75, in your world, but not mine. I have to like myself as a person, so it my world, that would come to may, I say again maybe, $.25-$.50, depending on how much of it I had to buy out of pocket.

If you had actually read the post, instead of just copying all of it, you might have caught that I don't mind paying for what I get. I don't care to over pay. I don't care to over charge. I feel better about myself as a person. But, if you're happy over paying, I have no problem with that. And, f you're happy with over charging, if it doesn't catch up with you in this life, it will in another.

But, I figure you already knew all that, and you're just trolling. Right?

I've sold a couple of tools, but, I prefer to give the folks here fist shot. So, my practice is to post here, ask a fair price, and first come, first served. I use boxes I'd toss otherwise, same with newspaper padding. Tape, I keep on hand for my own use, so no extra charge there. I find the postage, and don't charge extra on that. So, I get a few $ on a tool I don't need, and someone else geta a good deal on a tool they want, without paying inflated shipping. We're both happy. That's the way I prefer to do it, and, may even do that with some woodworking books I'll be getting rid of sometime in the future. You won't need to respond tho.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take anything packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received anything purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box". What I've gotten has almost always been very well packed.

How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole package through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something in a box and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?

Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put something in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges. For someone doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would expect.

If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a fine way to go about it. If you're using ebay sales to put food on the table it's a different story. And if you're paying employees to pack and ship the stuff then it's a _very_ different story.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oh, yes, I fogot to consider the used cereal box, the nickel's worth of tape, the old newspaper page used for padding, plus all the time, effort, and knowledge, to wrap it, etc. And, then there's the skilled labor of writing out the label. Maybe that excuses the extra $3.75, in your world, but not mine. I have to like myself as a person, so it my world, that would come to may, I say again maybe, $.25-$.50, depending on how much of it I had to buy out of pocket.

man, if you cant excuse an extra 3.75 because you dont perceive its worth it, just think of the carnage that would occur if you felt you got blatently ripped off for say 100 dollars!!

im just teasin ya jt. dont go off on me please

randy

Reply to
xrongor