why sellers love ebay

Page 1 of 2
I sell myself, but check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item819932629
This is not my listing, but now check this out:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0505
Brand new delivered to your door for $223 As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and they pay more than retail.
Todd L

they
$38 shipping
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lamblies & include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows%
Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 11:02am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ToddL) <snip> As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and they pay more than retail.
People refuse to remember, you need to do your homework.
I have had 7 volumes of an 8 volume set, for years. Mechanical stuff, not woodworking. Picked them up for about $2-3 each. Been looking for years for the missing volume. Lately checking eBay. Yep. Usually $5 starting bid, or higher, plus the shipping, which most sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than I wanted to pay. I need to watch pennies at times. Checked some book sellers too. Hmmm, they're usually wanting about $45 per volume. So, kept checking eBay. Found a seller with 7 of the 8 volumes, including the one I wanted. Hah. I was high bidder, cost me $11 something, plus just under $5, shipping. Heh heh. Now I can sell the 6 extras on eBay, and charge real shipping costs.
JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.
[...]
its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they perceive to be too high of shipping costs.
ive said it before ill say it again:
1) ebay doesnt take a cut of the shipping costs. its better for the seller to charge higher shipping. 2) price of item + price of shipping = total price. you pay the total price regardless of which part was shipping and which part was the item. 3) there is indeed a logical, viable reason to charge for handling. i dont see people complaining about ronco stuff for charging too much for shipping, or any other 'as seen on tv' stuff.. just ebay.
you're complaining that you paid 5 bucks shipping. exactly how much do you feel you overpaid. a dollar? you're taking moral high ground for offering to use real shipping costs because of a dollar?
so anyway. im done. in the end, i guess people just love to critique ebay and its sellers.
randy
Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 5:09pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) puts out: its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they perceive to be too high of shipping costs.
I consider "too high of shipping costs", when the seller is obviously overcharging on shipping charges. $5 to ship a book that actually costs just over $1 in postage is overcharging is my book. I have no problem with a minor difference between the quoted shipping and actual postage.
ive said it before ill say it again: 1) ebay doesnt take a cut of the shipping costs.
Yes, everyone knows that.
its better for the seller to charge higher shipping.
That's your opinion.
2) price of item + price of shipping = total price. you pay the total price regardless of which part was shipping and which part was the item.
No kidding? I didn't know that. Gee, thanks for letting me know.
3) there is indeed a logical, viable reason to charge for handling.
Gee, you mean I should have said "shipping AND handling", instead of just "shipping"?
i dont see people complaining about ronco stuff for charging too much for shipping, or any other 'as seen on tv' stuff.. just ebay.
Why should I complain about Ronco? I don't buy from them. Too expensive. Besides, the thread is about eBay, not Ronco.
you're complaining that you paid 5 bucks shipping.
No. I got an excellent shipping (and handling) rate, I was charged media rate. I had actually expected it to be a bit more. You need to read what I said.
exactly how much do you feel you overpaid. a dollar?
See above.
you're taking moral high ground for offering to use real shipping costs because of a dollar? so anyway. im done. in the end, i guess people just love to critique ebay and its sellers.
And some love to critique eBay buyers.
If you read my original post, therein I say, "plus the shipping, which most sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than I wanted to pay."
For future reference, media rate is considerable LESS then $5 a book, unless it's a Helluva big book. $5+ for a book, plus $5 for shipping it, comes to more than I cared to pay. That is, it would have made it cost more than it was worth to me.
I've seen a lot of crap on eBay, low selling price, and way high shipping. I've bought stuff mail order, maybe $5 shipping, and seen the same stuff on eBay, up to $40 shipping.
Anything I sell, or not sell, on eBay, I will ask actual shipping costs. That's the cost of postage (or UPS fee, whatever), plus any other incurred expenses (boxes, wrapping paper, etc., bought). If I have an box on hand, or a paper bag I can use, that's not charged. I go to the post office every day anyway, so gas isn't included. I belive that a reputable seller should not expect to make a profit of shipping (and handling) charges. If I underestimate postage a bit, I swallow the extra. If I overestimate a bit, it's not because I did it intentionally, and I try not to next time. I try to give a buyer a fair value for their money, and to not try to make a profit from overcharging on shipping. I feel better about myself as a person. I believe in trying to abide by so-called "Christian values" (even tho a lot of Christians don't, and I don't consider myself a Christian), it's called trying to be a good person. That's my "moral high ground".
JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.
J T wrote:

Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

--
--John
Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 11:16am snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (J.Clarke) says: Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.
JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.
J T wrote:

I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take anything packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received anything purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box". What I've gotten has almost always been very well packed.

How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole package through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something in a box and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?

Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put something in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges. For someone doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would expect.

If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a fine way to go about it. If you're using ebay sales to put food on the table it's a different story. And if you're paying employees to pack and ship the stuff then it's a _very_ different story.

--
--John
Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 2:28pm snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (J.Clarke) burbled: I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take anything packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received anything purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box". There, you've learned something new today.
How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole package through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something in a box and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?
Well, let me see now. Hmm, if you consider that I'm on full disability, I guess it doesn't really matter how long it would take me to put something in a box and write a label. So I guess, depending on how you'd look at it, in dollars, that would be zip. Doesn't matter, I wouldn't tell you anyway.
Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put something in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges. For someone doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would expect.
And, it's eBay, not a store. See what Tim Douglass said, about $10 shipping, for something that cost less than a dollar to send. It ain't that high.
If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a fine way to go about it.
It can be.
If you're using ebay sales to put food on the table it's a different story.
Than you want happy customers. Which means a reasonable shipping cost.
And if you're paying employees to pack and ship the stuff then it's a _very_ different story.
And part of that story is, I ain't paying some drone's hourly wage in one lump sum, just to have something shipped to me.
You must be one of the too tight people, or just don't get it.
JOAT I think, therefore I am. I think.
J T wrote:

If you call that "well packed" then remind me not to buy anything even slightly fragile from you.

I see. So you're basically unemployed and your time is in your opinion of no value. That's fine, but don't find fault with others whose time is actually worth something.

And of course you've audited the particular operation that was doing the packaging and so you're absolutely certain you know their costs.
What leads you to believe that it's not a store just because it uses ebay as a marketing tool? IBM sells on ebay. I guess IBM isn't a "store".

All the happy customers in the world don't put food on the table if you lose money on each sale.

Then don't. Nobody's forcing you to bid on any particular auction.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to "get". If you think the shipping cost is too high then don't bid the auction. As for being "too tight", I'm not the one who is whining about how someone charges too much. Or perhaps you meant "tight" in some sense other than "tightwad"?

--
--John
Mon, Jun 14, 2004, 1:10am snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (J.Clarke) says: <snip> I'm not sure what I'm supposed to "get". If you think the shipping cost is too high then don't bid the auction. <snip>
Dennis W. Ewing Sr. wrote:

When I was trying to explain packing costs to the guy I completely forgot driving it down to UPS or FedEx, which these days can easily be 3-4 bucks worth of gas, not to mention amortized maintenance, tire wear, etc.

--
--John
Tue, Jun 15, 2004, 6:46am snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (J.Clarke) claims: When I was trying to explain packing costs to the guy I completely forgot driving it down to UPS or FedEx, which these days can easily be 3-4 bucks worth of gas, not to mention amortized maintenance, tire wear, etc.
J T wrote:

Well, since you seem to think that $5 is an "unreasonable" shipping and handling fee . . .

So you charge $15.85 for shipping then bitch about some guy on ebay making $5? Can you say "hypocrite"?

If you were doing this as a business you'd have to recover those costs somehow.

Don't know where you live, but here it's about 15 miles to UPS or FedEx. Go both ways it's 30 miles. That's 2 gallons of gas at over $2/gallon. If you've got a truck that gets better mileage it's still over 2 dollars just for the gas (darn few vehicles that anybody would describe as a "truck" without falling down laughing get better than 30 MPG). And this is an area where things are close together. If you're in rural Texas it's going to be a lot more than that.

So you'd have a standard charge for transportation? Or would you tell the guy that he would have to wait until after you had shipped to find out how much he has to pay so that you can charge him the _exact_ cost to a tenth of a mile?

I think that I perhaps see your problem. Did you work in an industry that did high-volume mass production? If so then that kind of detailed calculation is worthwhile--saving a penny a piece on a million units is substantial money. Some very large companies that do small lots take a different approach--there's a fixed percentage markup for overhead, varying by general task classification (for example there'd be one markup for engineering time, another for drafting, another for lab work, another for molding composites, another for machining, and so on. Far simpler to calculate than figuring out how many minutes of tool life you used up cutting a board in half.

And since we were talking about ebay to begin with . . .

--
--John
Wed, Jun 16, 2004, 6:04am snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (J.Clarke) puts out: Well, since you seem to think that $5 is an "unreasonable" shipping and handling fee . . .
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe
J T wrote:

Geez, talk about focussing on minutiae . . .

No, if I think someone is charging an excessive price for something then I just don't buy.

Well, whatever you were doing you learned to micromanage a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be micromanaged.

--
--John
As long as the shipping is clearly explained in the ad, I don't see the issue here. It is just part of the price you are willing to pay. Don't bid any more than you think the total price the product is worth to you with shipping included.
(J. Clarke) says: Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.
Oh, yes, I fogot to consider the used cereal box, the nickel's worth of tape, the old newspaper page used for padding, plus all the time, effort, and knowledge, to wrap it, etc. And, then there's the skilled labor of writing out the label. Maybe that excuses the extra $3.75, in your world, but not mine. I have to like myself as a person, so it my world, that would come to may, I say again maybe, $.25-$.50, depending on how much of it I had to buy out of pocket.
man, if you cant excuse an extra 3.75 because you dont perceive its worth it, just think of the carnage that would occur if you felt you got blatently ripped off for say 100 dollars!! <g>
im just teasin ya jt. dont go off on me please <g>
randy