Why Pay $5000 for marble countertop, I paid $100! (w/pics)

Page 1 of 2
Afternoon everyone,
I went with my parents last week to look at the three pieces of granite that came in for their countertop. Turned out on inspection all had through cracks and were scrap. After checking around, there was no more granite like it in the country and they would have to wait at least three more months for another chuck to come from Russia. Needless to say, Mom has been without a kitchen for almost forever by now and I wanted her to have a countertop of some type, if for nothing else than to protect the cabinets until the real granite one is made months from now.
It is amazing what you can do with a sheet of 3/4" plywood and some MacTack (sp?). From 5' it looks real.
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/top2.jpg
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/top3.jpg
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/top5.jpg
Faux man Dave.
(Yes that is an LN calander I gave my Mom on the fridge...)
"David F. Eisan" wrote in message

MacTack
Plywood, what plywood?
... nice drive-by. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Looks plenty real to me. But I didn't see a countertop anywhere in that picture. :-)

Oh! There's the countertop.
Fabulous work, David.
In article

ROFL! It surely does, David. It surely does...
djb
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:30:48 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
Gloateus Maximus.
Regards, Tom.

Indeed. Now that's something to gloat about ;-)
Nice job w/ the pseudo marble too. Wish I could see more of the process instead of just the end result. Can't see how you go from step one to the result, but I have problems thinking after step one :-)
ken
3/4" sheet of plywood, doubled up at the edge, 1/2" round over top and bottom. Backsplash also with roundover. Apply MakTack, install. What did you miss? :).
David.

I'm surprised it looks so "marbley". It doesn't look like the wood grain of typical plywood...
ken

The part that I missed is "what MakTack is".
(google doesn't return any results)
Is it a laminate? Is it a surface filler?
Did you paint the faux marble, or is it a printed sheet?
--
be safe.
flip

I have always known it as MacTac, but apparently the generic name is Contact Paper. It is a peel and stick plastic sheeting. I have about $10 of it on this countertop. I don't expect it to last, it was more of a joke for my Mom and it only has to last a month or two until the real countertop is made.
Hey, My Mom laughed when she saw the countertop and gave me a big hug, that it will fail over time does not really matter. The plywood substrate will protect the cabinets from any spill.
David.

*BOTH* 'MACtac' and 'Contact' are trademarked brand names.
The 'generic' is "self-adhesive shelf-liner".
Today the 'MACtac' name applies to an entire line of materials, most of which are commercial 'raw material' for various kinds of sign- and label-making.
I'm not sure if they're still making the consumer product under that name.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:00:17 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

No ! It's "Sticky-Backed Plastic" 8-)
(Get a Brit to explain it to you)
Forget Robin....
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 04:23:24 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
Yeah, your shop elf will do right fine.
(This was supposed to post 9/19 at 6:21am but didn't)
---------------------------------------------------------- * Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming * better time with a roller. ** http://diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------

Gloryus Maximus? :)
--
be safe.
flip

So when do they get doors to protect what's inside the cabinet? :-)

Well, unless you've also gone through some "faux" finishing, that ain't you in the picture.

Looks good. Too bad about the intended granite, hope that gets straightened out real soon.

Why buy Russian granite? We produce a lot of granite domestically, including nice stuff from right here in Minnesota's "Granite City" St. Cloud, as well as nearby Rockville and other towns. In fact, we're fairly surrounded by granite quarries. They made Dale Earnhart's tomb from local granite in fact.;)
-Derek
Hello there,

Something special about the black granite with quartz she likes from Russia.
When the company owner said, "Well, we can start from scratch, and find a different granite". My Dad and I both said, "NO!", we will wait for what Mom wants!. She has changed her mind ten different times. We were both happy that she finally found what she likes. We will wait...
David, who does not want to look at any more granite samples....

Nope. That is my SO assistant.

Ayup. I hope so.
David.