Why Not To Hang Out On The Wreck

Page 2 of 2

<Cloaking /OFF>
Hey there Tom.
I still manage to read The Wreck occasionally, and am glad to find certain regulars still around. I'd love to be able to post more and get involved like I used too, but the opportunities aren't what they were.
To say the wreck is lacking in wisdom and wit may be self defeating. There are a lot of people who have posted "jewels", we simply need to encourage them to post more (and also show some discipline by not reacting to trolls).
Hope everyone is well,
Groggy
<Cloaking /ON>

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:29:00 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Sigh.
I'm a newbie wooddorker. I've played with wood for a long time, on and off, mostly home remodeling & improvement type stuff. I have long wished for the space to set up a shop, the money to buy tools, wood, and books, and the time to learn and do.
I'm definitely *not* a newbie on the 'net. I long ago discovered the value of usenet, and other "bulletin board" forums. I soaked up quite a bit over time, about the things I was interested in and wondered about. Amateur radio, computers, car repair, SCUBA diving, home improvement, herpetology, photography (guess I have never made up my mind about what I like to do). On the 'net, I could find subject matter experts, folks who had already done and learned, and were willing to teach. And, when I thought I knew enough about something to actually contribute, I did that, too. It made sense to me to give back to the community that helped me so often.
I have been reading the Wreck for about a year, while I put together my shop, and gathered a few tools, and read a few books. Getting ready to actually put my hands on wood, for it is in the doing that I actually learn.
Now that I have space, a little money, and a little time, I am almost ready to take on a wooddorking project or two. And I was counting on the Wreck being here, so I could ask, and learn. It will be a long time before I can contribute, but I want to be able to do that, too.
Have I waited too long?
--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse appendix DOT net
"Art Greenberg" wrote in message

Not at all ... nothing is ever like it "used to be". The longer you live the more the ham fat, the fewer the heroes ... learn to live with it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05

Something interesting appears to be happening over on rec.crafts.woodturning - some oldies who left a year or so ago are again visiting and beginning to participate again. It's good to see them back and offering their wisdom, experience and commentary.
I've been here since '99 or so and have memories of a few very insightful or incite-ful, and humorous folks. Some I miss, some not so much and at least one has gone on to whatever comes after this life. But there are still some interesting characters from the old days and who knows which current participant will become part of the wreck legend for future readers.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Yup, let's hope that it's contagious.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

You have to be right! What we all share is deeper than any tool or piece of wood... There is something in our souls that communicates to one another. Tom
Why TO hang out on the wreck:
Me. I am new to woodworking and need all of the help I can get. I have made a few projects of mediocre quality, but want to do more. Yes, I was motivated by Norm to try it out. Yes, I build more jigs than projects. Yes, I buy too many power tools and have only one plane I don't know how to use. But I am still at it.
I have pieces of a coffee table waiting to be sanded, glued (no brads), and oiled (I think that is the correct order). These were wrapped up during the move and remodel we're doing. Next project will be a rocking horse for the second child. I hope to do a much better job than I did on the first one.
Sometimes I think I'll never have time to get to any of these, and then I am inspired by JT. Yes some of the posts are OT and political but all wood and no play makes Jack a dull boy. For a newbie like me the mix is just right, sometimes too OT, sometimes too in depth (still don't know what riving knives are). The individual websites are also helpful, LRod's advice on smoking will come in handy soon, I'm almost ready.
So why read, and post, to the wreck? Because whether or not you read it often, there are plenty of people out here reading and occasionally posting that are in need or your experience and opinions.

<snippage>> the mix is just right, sometimes too OT, sometimes too in depth (still

AFAIK A riving knife is a small blade in a table saw that scores the surface of the piece, eliminating tear out. Tom
Thomas Bunetta wrote:

nope.
it's the european version of a splitter.
I stand corrected, Thank you! Tom

Despite all of the ranting about the Ryobi BT3000 benchtop tablesaw it has a good riving knife that the blade guide bolts to.

Nope. A riving knife is a blade shaped curved piece that is attached behind the saw blade to act as a splitter. The small blade in front of the main blade is called a scoring blade. It cuts a very shallow cut, slightly wider than the main blade to precut laminate and other surfaces to prevent tearout and make a sharp crisp cut It's usually a small 4" wobble blade powered with a separate motor, the blade wobble is adjustable to allow for width of cut.. At least that is the way it is on the Altendorf I use in the shop. No, not my shop, but the one I work in. link to picture of riving knife in rear of tablesaw blade, third picture across. http://www.hammer.at /
chuck
Boo hoo hoo! You're braking my heart, man!
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Funny...
When I started reading today, chronologically, I had the same sentiment.
Now, at the end, after reading two posts by Tom and Lew, I think I'll pop in from time to time.
Funny.
I don't know you people from Adam. But I've got a mental image of many of you. You strike me as the type of folks I wish as I had as neighbors.
Yep - funny, how life is. Especially as you grow older.

I've got neighbors like you folks, too.
Sometimes loud and off-topic. Usually ready to help when there's a problem. Smarter & dumber than me at the same time, but we don't care. We like our neighborhood, most days.
I rather enjoy this one too.
Patriarch
Tom Watson wrote:

I hang out and have been a lurker for many years because of folks like you. I have learned so much here and on occasion have helped someone with my slim but accumulated knowledge. This is a community of like minded for the most part with a passion for the old and honored craft of turning Natures woods into a cherished and useful thing of beauty. I am at a time in my life when I can finally devote more time and energy to the woodcrafts and am looking forward to learning much more from you and your brethren. Some day I hope to be able to pass on the accumulated knowledge to someone else with the thirst to learn the woodcrafts. Don't let the bastards win. We all need each other.
Regards, Loren Wilson WoodWizzard Woodcrafts Colorado
"Tom Watson" wrote in message ...

ALL the above applies to you, Tawm.

... don't you be thinking about running off now, Bubba.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05

Thanks, Swing.
Since y'all is a musical sorta man, albeit not a musical theatre sorta man, I would like to pass along to you, the second tune in my new musical, Camel Lot.
You may remember the original musical, written by the two dead guys.
I have modified it a bit to fit the current times.
CAMEL LOT: A MUSICAL
"CAMEL LOT"
BIN LADEN:
It's true! It's true! The Quran makes it clear. The infidel must be killed all the year.
A law was made a distant moon ago here: No matter what the month it is too hot. And there's a law against us having snow here In Camel Lot.
Now Christmas is forbidden in December And Easter, March or April gets you shot. We worship the eleventh of September In Camel Lot.
Camel Lot! Camel Lot! I know it sounds a bit bizarre, But in Camel Lot, Camel Lot That's how conditions are.
The bombs go off from sunrise until sundown. By eight, the blue-eyed devils disappear. In short, there's simply not A more congenial spot For happily-ever-aftering than here In Camel Lot.
Camel Lot! Camel Lot! I know it gives a mullah pause, But in Camel Lot, Camel Lot Those are the holy laws.
The bodies turn to slush upon the roadside. By nine p.m. the nightfighters appear. In short, there's simply not A more congenial spot For happily-ever-aftering than here In Camel Lot.
(apologies to L and L, Good Taste, Positive Restraint, Manners, both learned and earned, Pat Buchanan, Uncle Bob, etc., etc., etc.,...)
Tom, If I take a look at how hanging out on the Wreck compares to other activities in my life then I realize, without too much introspection, that I would MUCH prefer to spend time in the woodshop. Comparing further, I realize that I visit the Wreck when I have nothing else to do - very rare these days - or I'm doing something that is not all that compelling and a visit to the Wreck is a worthwhile distraction. For example, sitting through very boring international teleconferences late at night. Unfortunately, it only takes a few minutes to work my way through the 1350 posts since my last visit - a period far too short to gain full advantage during an hour's call.
I can confidently say that my woodworking has improved significantly from things I've learned on the Wreck (not necessarily applying the advice in the manner described, however). But like anything else, there is a normal distribution of contributors, and visiting the Wreck is really made worthwhile by the rare individual, such as you, who is clearly several standard deviations above the norm (Note I used lower case for 'norm'. It would be an interesting exercise to compare against the Norm but I'm neither qualified nor see any value in such a comparison). Unfortunately, I don't know the contributions of the individuals you praised, being a relatively new visitor to the Wreck and they have all departed. Equally, I don't really know the 'contributions' of the others you mentioned - probably having avoided those threads.
The really good news is that it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to search for the gems from contributors who do have something worthwhile to say. So I can safely say (knowing that I'll be having many telecons in the future) that I'll be back and looking forward to it.
The lamentable part, and the part I think you are really addressing, is that people who do have something to contribute are finding that it is not worthwhile to participate. They already know the gems and need to find a reason to contribute. I'm not sure why someone would want to join the 'shouting match' just to share something with a rarely appreciative audience. I guess we need to find some really boring things for them to do so they can visit the Wreck while waiting for the boring thing to end... I'm not sure what other incentive might exist.
Tom
    Greetings and Salutations...
wrote:

point out that a person has to sift through a LOT of dirt to find the treasure of a truffle.

are times when one has (too) much time to play about online, and, times when there is so much life that weeks may go by before one has time to even deal with Email.

they are intelligent, considering people, who are quite willing to take up discourse on a wide variety of topics.     Sometimes it is simply because, like cats, we have a bad tendency to jump at shiny things dangled above us and attack them.

problem and not the solution, the only honorable thing TO do is withdraw. I have had to do that a couple of times myself. It is very hard to do, and, I would hope that this vacation is only a short one. Often a little break can allow a person to come back with a clearer and calmer point of view.     I deal with the problem of OT posts by hitting the "I" key (I use FreeAgent). That ensures that I don't see anything I am not interested in taking part in.     Regards     Dave Mundt