Why Not To Hang Out On The Wreck

Page 1 of 2

I received a communication from a WreckFriend of mine today.
A thinking man, a judicious man, a decent wooddorker.
He said that he would no longer be a cohabitant of the Wreck.
This was disturbing to me and I thought to parse its particulars.
He states that the Wreck is lacking in, " both wisdom and wit."
I suppose that I would have to agree, in a general sense.
We are certainly well past the days where Mr. Leach and Mr. Olguin lent their particular insight into things particular and general on the WrecK.
I have not seen a post from Mr. Bohn in quite some time.
I have not seen my favorite story teller spin his tales here in a bit.
I read a good deal too much of Mr. Fatheree's political opinions, and those of Messrs. Hinz, Fredfighter, Miller, etc. - good and worthy men, I am sure, but not much in the wooddorking department.
I wonder why they post here.
I will miss my friend, and he will be missed by those who value insight, values, and intelligence.
One more good man gone.
One less reason to read the Wreck.
Tom Watson wrote:

something of value for you here...no?
Seriously, your point has some merit, Tom. My neighborhood is going to hell, too...
Dave
says...

Well, you guys could always trot over fam.woodworking and start new discussions with your Usenet-parents, Vito and Susie, watching over everything you post.

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.
KJV.
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:33:55 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson

Um, izzat where he learns to use the "Force", Tawm?
P.S: Nice li'l DV post earlier.
------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------ http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Luke 4:8
Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY."
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Luke 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
AAvK wrote:

So why not do a Google search to see wha thte gods of usenet have to say about off-topic posts.
--

FF

Tom Watson wrote:

I don't get it?
Lk:4:8: 8 And Jesus answering said to him. It is written: Thou shalt adore the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (DRV)
Glen

"Get thee behind me, Satan:..."

or my ass.. (damn donkey thieves!)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
<snip>

Mr. Watson, You are one of the reasons I still "read the wreck". Much has changed since the Cabal was at large, and the echoes of Klown Hammers have faded away, as you mused in the text removed above. It really doesn't take as much time as it once did... so much gets skimmed by, even after the killfile does its job. But some is entertaining, and I admire those more proficient at typing than I that have patience to answer so many times the often repeated questions (read the FAQ?). Now and then I laboriously "hunt and peck" my way through an answer to someone, but mostly lurk. (Oh, and I guess a few gloats... but hey, there were/are a lotta folks here that I consider friends, and a guy has to brag and BS somewhere <BG>.) It was that spirit that made me write the Masters piece ;>). I wanted to share something that humbled me and touched in a way not often done. Your stuff (to come full circle) sometimes has that touch, in wit and intellect... and most importantly a good touch of humor. I just wanted remind you that the heroes of the Wreck will of necessity come and go... (All men bow to Father time). I too miss the Duke of Url, and David and Paully Rad. But being a tiny bit suspicious (perhaps just hopeful) they may yet be lurking beneath a different name I still come to "read the wreck". Several times new faces have come and gone, and the chaff to wheat ratio HAS changed. But I'll be hanging around a bit yet. Thanks to guys like you! Tom

Sir Thomas, You DO have a way with words, and the keys to my funny/nostalgia bone! Thanks for a great read, Ya done GOOD! Tom (No. 110, I think... the memory is the first to go, or is it the second, I forget)

How true. Too bad your friends balls weren't a little bigger. If you let the bastards win, they win. Life in general and life on the Wreck is frequently a zero sum game.
--
Regards,
Mike

A Klown Hammer Moment... and it seems no one to wield it! Tom
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:29:00 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson

What the hell was HE doing here?

Gee, why didn't you simply tell him I was on vacation, Tawm? <bseg>

Yeah, where IS Mr. Nowrecki, anyway?

All plonked for one reason or another.

Good Q.

Sest lavvy, wot?
("C'est la vie" for those who didn't grok it.)
P.S: I got to (covertly) fondle a piece of David Marks' work at the Sonoma Artistry in Wood show last weekend. I had thought it was a full on woodwreckin' show and was sorely disappointed. $23 in gas, $5 at the door, and a 350 mile drive in 100+ weather didn't make it any less painful. Had I known in advance, I would have taken off at 4am to head home, before it heated up.
The "bowl table" was mighty nice, though. No gaps, crisp edges, extremely small amount of tearout in the through tenons, and a real nice selection of 10/4 or 12/4 wood planking.
------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------ http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Tom Watson wrote:

I read this group because of an interest in woodworking. If I start a thread in this group, I start a woodworking thread. I never start an off-topic thread. There are plenty enough newsgroups in UseNet that there simply is no excuse for starting off-topic threads.
So why do others start off-topic threads? Some are cleary started by trolls who simply want to disrupt the group for fun. Those are easy enough to spot and explain. I try to limit my replies to trolls to nothing more than pointing out their posting history or other troll-sign. No point in engaging them on the issues, that is what they want.
But what of the others? Well, if you were trying to deceive people about a woodworking issue would you post your article in a woodworking newsgroup? I don't think so. Unlike the troll, these OT posters are hoping their spew will go unchallenged. Well, I go into 'tireless rebutter mode' and take them on. Clearly that is at least as ugly to most as what they post. But without a rebuttal, they win the day. And they won't stop there. Left unchallenged, they will only get worse, more strident, more frequent, more disrespectful, and more and more convinced they have a god-given right to act contrary to social conventions.
Consider this thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/c164b76c00b96aa2/f9f4217fa9ae287a?q=fredfighter&rnum &hl=en#f9f4217fa9ae287a
Somehow, a thread on sawzall blades mutated into a subthread on nuclear power plant fuel reprocessing. So, Mr Bozarth and myself moved that subthread to an appropriate newsgroup. Further, after it was moved, we got some excellent information from new participants. Perhaps that was becuase we were interested in the truth, not trying to deceive.
Somehow, that never seems to work with political threads. My guess is the people who refuse to move the thread to an appropriate newsgroup simply do not have enough confidence in their opinion to voice it beofor others who actually are interested in and knowledgible of the subject.
--

FF

That's probably too bad.

Funny....it seems for each of my political opinions, you have one also. As for woodorking, I'm curious how you gauge my skills. Unless I'm misstaken, you've never seen my shop. I may not make the works of art that you create, but I think you assume too much. And here's a tip for anyone who reads too many off-topic posts. Every newsreader that I'm aware of has the ability to ignore a whole thread. If you *really* don't want to read a post, there's no one making you.

I read and post to a variety of threads on the wreck. Some on-topic, some not. Seems that the same goes for you. I'll agree that I probably get caught up in the off-topic posts more than I should. In fact, I chose to let one drop today. I tell you what...starting today, I won't post to any off-topic threads and you do the same. We'll see who can keep it up the longest.

One more reason to join me in not posting to off-topic threads. If we work together, we can make a difference, Tom.

todd
Tom Watson wrote:

I place the Wreck in the same category as as someone visiting me down the shed. Just because we're in a place where mostly woodworking is done does not mean that we can only talk woodworking. The chances are that out interests are some what common and we will strike upon a topic to yarn about that we both enjoy, be it a discussion, an argument or just bullshit. The chances are that woodworking bought us together and so does the Wreck. The other analogy, when it comes to OT posts, is the local pub. You join in conversations you want to and are interested in and ignore the others, as does everyone else. Therefore there are numerous conversations, discussions and arguments all going on at the same time and in the same room. No need to get your nose out of joint, ignore the fools in your eyes and let live. I'm not pointing the finger here, just that the thread sought of leant itself to this reply. All the best John
John B wrote:

Therein lies the problem. Too many people regard rec.woowdorking as _their_ shed, not recognizing that it is a communal resource.
Further, the shop is not rec.woodworking, it is usenet. There are enough newsgroups that their is no excuse for starting an off- topic thread in any of them, that includes rec.woodworking. Rec.woodworking is ony one small room in the shop. Starting a thread about global change in rec.woowdorking is like walking into the paint booth with your belt sander saying:
1) Don't mind me, I'll only do a little sanding.
or
2) I'm not the only one who sands in here.
or
3) I'm don't know the guys in the sanding room so I'm going sand in here.
or
4) If you don't want to sand, just ignore me.
or
5) You're a jerk just leave me alone.

Here the room is analagous to UseNet and each conversation to indivivual newsgroups. Suppose you're at the pub and there is one group talking woodworking and another talking global climate change. If you poke your nose into the woodworlking group to talk global climate change how could you possible be upset if someone there asks to go talk to the other group?
Besides, barrooms are inherantly anarchist, whereas UseNet must be structured or it becomes unusuable.

--

FF