Why no MDO at HD?

Only a little more off-topic, but not too far considering where this is heading...

I had to return some items to CompUSA the other day and the manually entered stuff into their register and after messing up (and me pointing this out) had to do it again. I think my credit card finally ended up correct. I did bring up the fact that at HD the return procedure is much easier with the bar-codes and all. They just looked at me.

I did mention to them that it was amazing that a home store had better automation than a computer store. :-) (Maybe it's because they need it more?)

Pete

Reply to
PJS

I can top that. I buy my computers from a local store run by Chinese people. They're good to deal with, and their prices are so good that it's not worth fooling with mail order. They write out bills of sale by hand, add them up with a calculator, and then give you a photocopy. They don't seem to use computers for inventory management or anything. They don't even have a *cash register*.

Reply to
Silvan

Back in 1974 when I was 19 years old, I figured that Radio Shack employees were most likely people that were not capable of figuring out how to collect welfare.

Reply to
Leon

I have a volt/ohm meter that I bought in 1979 and it still works fine with the original 9 volt battery. I'd be scared to check the battery..

Reply to
Leon

It still blows me away that a store tha mainly deals with computers and computer related sales has such an out of date innacurate inventory controll system.

Reply to
Leon

Leon,

is your spell-checker on strike? :)

dave

Leon wrote: snip tha innacurate controll

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It is very picky as to where I type my reply. If my reply is on top of a post as this one is the checker works. If it is below the post, it does not work..

Reply to
Leon

I think you guys are talking about the H19 dumb terminal kit. I built one of these things during the weekend I moved into a dorm in the fall of 1978 or so. I'll never forget the look on my new roommate's face (randomly assigned, we had never met) when he saw me with soldering iron in hand and parts all over the place when he opened the door! I fired the thing up that evening and it worked the first time. I think thats the only time that ever happened in my entire life! I was up and hacking away at the university's PDP11 RSTS machine (using my 300 baud acoustic coupler) that evening. Hard to believe how much fun that was, considering how primitive it was compared to what we have today.

Tim Carver

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver