Why is there bandsaw blade drift?

Page 2 of 2

Teamcasa wrote:

Others answered the same and with other equally valid responses, and I think this one is the right answer for stable drift.
er
--
email not valid

Ding! We have a winner.

Andrew Barss wrote:

How about the difference in friction caused by the guides or the blade? Or the classic wire edge on one side from cutting the band free from the coil. Lots of folks abrade this away with a fine stone to help equalize.
Then there's the set on the teeth, grinding burr too ....

Something about: "the innate animosity of inanimate objects"
comes to mind.
`
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but another cause can be that the blade is in a circle - the inside of the blade is compressed and the outside of the blade is expanded - could make a difference. Besides that, only one tooth set is pressed against the wheel and the tooth set in the other direction isn't pressed against anything. This could make the teeth set change slightly making the blade behave asymmetrically.
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:49:25 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss