Why is my stain not getting as dark as shown in store samples?

Page 2 of 3

The Four Horsemen Of The Pharmacy: Baldness, Blindness, Impotence, & Death
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:52:29 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

You meant The Four Profiteers, didn't you?
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

I suppose some profit from them, but they are mentioned on almost every list of side effects.
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 02:25:56 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

OK, I see where you're coming from. I was looking at the fears they play upon, and the vast sums of money generated in quelling those fears. The BigPharm creates fears and finds a cure for it worth billions per cure.
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

A lot like the government in that respect.

Actually there is no risk to "me" of being plonked if I top post... I loose nothing. The plonker OTOH misses out on my vast experience and BS. :~)

You need to have a forward of "Warning- don't read while drinking" before those types of responses Leon!!
You could be liable for laptop damages. :^)

You need to have a forward of "Warning- don't read while drinking" before those types of responses Leon!!
You could be liable for laptop damages. :^)
Sorry
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:24:27 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Well, I'll give you the latter, anyway. ;)
And perhaps that experience is only half-vast, like mine.
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
*snip*

I set my newsreader to show the quoted text in a smaller font than the new text, and often use its skip to next lower unquoted paragraph feature. The whole top, middle, or bottom thing doesn't bother me; my newsreader takes care of it.
Puckdropper

No, it just makes you look like an idiot.
But please do whatever you want.
--
Thank you, I most certainly will!
Not that I needed your permission.

[your reply invisible]
Well, Kate, here you made a technical error; you started your reply below my sig delimiter (that "--" down there), so it became invisible in my reply (this message) since proper news clients clip out the previous sig in a message being replied to. Prolly because you're using Micro$oft Outlook Express (ver. 6.00.2900.5843 to be exact), which is notoriously bad at handling Usenet conventions like sigs, quoting, etc.
But regarding your other comment: yeah, I have no problem with your version:
"You were wrong, and I'm woman enough to admit it."

- a Usenet "apology"

On case where I top post on usenet is to a blind person whom I am replying to. And sometime just to poke at someone who is all to serious about such things.
Mark

You could, probably are over sanding. If you are going past 180 you may be leaving little for the stain to soak into.
*snip*

How old are the store samples? Most woods naturally change over time, often darkening as they get older.
Puckdropper

On Mar 5, 4:40pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
:

And at the same time, stain has a tendency to fade over time. Hmmmm.

And at the same time, stain has a tendency to fade over time. Hmmmm.
I have not noticed that unless of course the piece is subject to fading due to lighting conditions. I have been using a particular stain for 20 years and it continues to match pieces done 20 years ago. In 1995 I built an entertainment system for a customer and in 2007 had to modify it and add drawers, the customer mentioned that it all looked like it was built at the same time.

Dye fades more than pigment...so are we talking apples or oranges.

The two main reasons have both been mentioned.
Sanding to too fine a grit which doesn't allow the pigment any rough surface to settle into.
However, given how long most store displays have been out, my $$ is on the wood darkening over time, something all woods do, to greatly varying degrees.
jc
: What could I possibly be doing wrong?
Are you putting on a top clear coat (varnish, shellac, lacquer, etc.)? Dyes (which, in spite of the syte/stain distinction, are in a lot of thing labelled "stain") only show their true color and darkness once a topcoat is applied. This is most extreme with aniline dyes, but it might be happening in your case as well.
-- Andy Barss