Why is it........?

Page 2 of 2
My favorite HD tale is being told that for plumbing parts I need to go to a plumbing store. I was told this while standing in the "plumbing isle" and the person telling me was wearing a HD orange smock/jacket/clownsuit These days when I need service while in store, I call the store from their phone, or use their PA system. However, in my area we have 2 HDs, and they have mostly compentent staff, so it really isn't that bad.
wrote:

I usually go to a lumber place here. But since I only needed a 1x6x4 piece of poplar to finish one of the pieces I was working on, a 40 minute drive wasn't looking too good just to get it. I use the Blue dump (because that is what it looks like on the inside and outside here), because it is only 10 minutes from me. But when I go there, the maple, poplar and oak are usually mixed together. That tells me either they don't care or they don't know. And also they don't point you to the right aisle half of the time here as well. Padlocks are not with the door locks, taping compound is not in the tape aisle (here it is in the paint department unless you want 5 gallons of it then it is next to the sheetrock), hydraulic cement is not in the plumbing department, and the winner from when they did their big rearrangement (so you could find stuff easier) sandpaper is not in the sand and cement aisle.
I know that you get what you pay for. That is why when I am starting a project, I go to someplace that has people that know what they are talking about. To me at least if you are going to advertise "You can do it, we can help" then have knowledgeable people that can help. Most of them do a great impression of "deer in headlights" when you ask them anything.
Allen
Hi,
allen476 wrote:

Murphy's law?

Well, when I wanted three or four things at the local home-improvement store, the one assistant that was available for the whole shop had a loooooong queue of people in front of him. At one hour before closing there seems to be a "break bell" - no assistants to be found in the whole market at all and it took me more than 20 minutes to check out the three things I had finally found by myself. The line in front of the cash register (three out of seven open) was rather short, but the cashier had to call for a shop assistant because of something (remember, they'd disappeared half an hour earlier), so nothing moved for about ten minutes. The same story at the other registers. While the market is rather nice inside, the service is really bad. I found myself thinking that I've never experienced anything like this even in the worst market in the U.S. or Canada...
Additionally, they sell bicycles, car parts etc. - most of which aren't worth the effort to bring the stuff from the shelf into your shopping cart - never trust anything with more than four moving parts in that kind of store?! But the worst thing of all - people buy this kind of junk, when they could have much better quality (actually useable) for only little more money?!
So recently I checked prices for wood at a local wood dealer (instead of the home-improvement market). The wood would be much cheaper, but I can't handle 2m x 3m pieces in my hobby room, so I have to pay the more expensive stuff at the DIY market - they cut it to order... But you have to put up with the shop assistant being either incompetent or a stupid jerk (or both) with friendly and competent personnel being the very rare exception... So if you ever worry about service quality again, just think of my story: they act as if they don't want me buying stuff there!
Basically the most annoying thing about hobby woodworking is simply getting the stuff... And finding a spot where to put the finished product ;-)
Ciao..