Why Is Festool Allowed To Fix Its Prices?

A side note here the Domino bits screw on to a male threaded shaft so they are hollow on the screw end and they are just less than 10MM in diameter so they might fit in a 10mm collet. And those bit's are designed to cut in a sweeping arc, they may not cut as well or last as long cutting in a straight line. The cutting end is rather unique.

I understand that all of this could be done with a plunge router but some of us prefer to be spending more time actually building something other than jigs. ;~) I think a jig is great if it saves you time.

But seriously have you got a jig that will allow your plunge router to cut these? Keep in mind the bottoms of these mortises are 27mm from the very end of these pieces of wood, not the surface that the mortise begins. And the 5mm bit will not cut a 27mm deep mortise. The bit has a shoulder that prevents this deep of a plunge cut. The mortises have to be cut "after" the 1/2" deep and 1/2" wide section of material is removed.

Then those mortises have to match and index properly with these.

Now, for another example. I am going to assume you have a biscuit cutter. I'm also going to assume you have cut hundreds of slots for biscuits. Before you bought your biscuit jointer did you seriously consider cutting that many biscuits slots before you bought it? Did you consider or actually build a jig and use a plunge router to cut that many slots before buying the biscuit cutter?

If your goal is to build 6~8 pieces of furniture for your home in a decade your suggestion makes a lot of sense if you have the skill to design the many jigs necessary to make the multiple types of mortises that you may need to cut. In the last 4 years I have built 11 large pieces of furniture for our home and never would have had the extra time to build the other 25 or so pieces in the same period for my customers. With the Domino my production has probably increased 500 percent. And Sketchup plus Cutlist Plus have been significant times savers too.

Reply to
Leon

On 07/26/2015 5:08 PM, Leon wrote: ...

No, but I would simply cut a standard tenon on the rail and the matching mortise on the stile instead...same end result although I'd probably not both with cutting the tenon down but leave it full width as it would take more handwork otherwise.

I don't quite get the purpose of the overlapping front edge, anyways, though??? One's got a but joint visible from the front either way so there's no difference in precision in length or squareness or anything to get the fit...

Reply to
dpb

I'm pretty sure the Incra on the router table could handle those. Might use up some scrap getting the adjustment right.

Plunge router isn't the right tool for biscuits. But no, I've got a biscuit joiner but I hardly ever bother with it. Thinking about it, I _could_ have used it for something today--thanks for reminding me that I have the thing.

My goal is to relax and take my mind off of work by doing something creative that I enjoy. Furniture is a side effect. Building a jig accomplishes my objective just as effectively as making furniture.

I don't really care about "increasing my production" and since I've already stipulated that the Domino is easy to justify in any kind of production environment I don't really understand why you are so defensive about it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Those rails and stiles are for the back face frame of a cabinet. The lap joints allow me to rabbit the pieces to form an indention for the back panel to fit into. The floating tenons reinforce the joints.

Here is how that fits together

Leon

Yet another tool... ;~) Getting more complicated.

Really!!! Why not? Put a slot cutting blade on the router and the deed is done lickety split. I use a slot cutting blade for cutting the panel grove in arched door rails, surprisingly smooooooooth. For face in panel slots change bits to straight. Ever easier than using for cutting mortices for floating tenons.

But no, I've got a

Mine is under a pile of dust somewhere. ;~)

And that is perfectly fine. I am only advocating the Domino for those wanting to speed up production and use more M&T jointery.

And I did not mean to sound defensive. When I bought mine I was not nearly as busy, as I was pretty picky about what jobs I would take. Too complicated and that became too much time involved. I would have been right beside you on the comments about the doing this with another tool. BUT after having the thing I can do the complicated joints quickly and accurately so naturally I turn less work down and my production is faster. Different strokes.... There are a few here that have eventually bought a Domino and I don't think they have regretted it whether it was justified or not. AND FWIW The Domino is crazy more accurate than a biscuit joiner, except maybe the Llamelo which is about the same price as the Domino. Any way....

Reply to
Leon

I think if there was any way at all I could justify buying a Domino, I woul d. I have only used it to cut a test slot, but having seen what it can do I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed it. Having seen Leon's use of i t over the years as well as understanding >>how

Reply to
nailshooter41

I have an old, relatively old, DeWalt 3/8 corded drill. It is a decent drill and probably the best corded that I have owned. Swingman has a Milwaukee hole shooter and I have used it. That will be my next corded drill. Those drills simply spin the chuck and anything attached to the chuck "or" it spins the operator. :-). There is no staling that drill, pull the trigger and something is going to spin, the chuck or the drill and what is holding the drill. It has a simple task and it does that better than any drill that I have ever used.

And speaking of drills, here it comes, wait for it, there is something similar to the hole shooter in the cordless drills. Four years ago I was using the best brand of cordless drill that I had ever owned, Makita. It was a 12 volt model and I also had its side kick the impact driver. That was my first impact and as most know the impact is one of those tools you don't really understand its versatility until you start using one. It effectively replaced the corded DeWalt when extra grunt was needed. I would say that 98% of what I needed to spin was done with the combination of those two Makita tools. Four years ago I was on my second set of batteries and in need of my third set and after 7-8 years there were improved models out there. Last Christmas 3 years ago my wife bought me the Festool T-15-3 cordless drill set. Well I could have bought another new Makita drill, impact, charger, and a pair of batteries for less than half of what she paid. It was at least comforting to know that with Festool's pricing policy that she did not have to shop the suppliers to get the best price. So for the last 3-1/2 years neither of the Makitas, or the Bosch impact, that mysteriously showed up on my door step several years ago, or the corded DeWalt have seen any action. I thought surely I would have to keep one of the impacts going but have not found that to be true. I went from using the Makita impact for 65% of my driving needs to zero after getting the Festool t-15 drill. I'm not sure if it is the brushless technology or simply the Festool's superior quality but it drives 3-1/2" deck screws with no hesitation. Now most any drill will do that but I can drive the screw at most any speed, even at a crawl, and stop 3/4 into the edge of a 2x4 and resume driving that screw with just a slight pull of the trigger. I was almost overjoyed to learn a few days ago that Festool warrants their new replacement batteries with the same 3 year warranty as all of their other tools. And equally as happy that they announced that they dropped their pricing on their batteries. A little research with an on line retailer indicated that I can buy a new Li-ion 5.2 amp battery for $55, shipped.

Reply to
Leon

Reminds me of a time when I focused on building recording studios.

All of the interior framing (double stud) was done with a hole shooter and screws, maybe not IBC by today's standards, but guaranteed effective, and still standing.

Reply to
Swingman