Why is a Frog on a plane called a Frog?

I always thought it was just because of the general wedge-like shape and it's resemblance to a frog sitting. In fact the term "frog" is not too uncommon to describe similarly shaped parts in various tools and machinery besides planes.

I must say, though, that when I read the subject line of your post, the first thing I thought was that this was an OT post with a joke about a frog on an airplane.

Reply to
lwasserm

Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly salted!) to the person who comes up with the best punch line.

RicodJour

The strange thing about stanley plane frogs is they began life with no tail, and later grew one. Shouldn't we be calling them polly-wogs?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Only if you start calling a spoke shave a tad pole trimmer.

RicodJour

| Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly | salted!) to the person who comes up with the best punch line.

... and then the wings fell off because there weren't enough ribbits.

Morris Dovey

"... It was the CIGAR!"

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

"Nebba mine thah... Juth ungshick by tug!"

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog?

Maybe for the same reason that piece of iron they use to rerail boxcars on the railroad is called a frog, which is....

Reply to
edswoods.1