Why is a Frog on a plane called a Frog?

Page 3 of 3

I always thought it was just because of the general wedge-like shape and it's resemblance to a frog sitting. In fact the term "frog" is not too uncommon to describe similarly shaped parts in various tools and machinery besides planes.
I must say, though, that when I read the subject line of your post, the first thing I thought was that this was an OT post with a joke about a frog on an airplane.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly salted!) to the person who comes up with the best punch line.
RicodJour wrote:

The strange thing about stanley plane frogs is they began life with no tail, and later grew one. Shouldn't we be calling them polly-wogs?
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Only if you start calling a spoke shave a tad pole trimmer.
RicodJour (in snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| Hmmm. Good point. Free bag of planer chips (great lightly | salted!) to the person who comes up with the best punch line.
... and then the wings fell off because there weren't enough ribbits.
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:06:12 -0700, RicodJour opined:

"... It was the CIGAR!"
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

"Nebba mine thah... Juth ungshick by tug!"
Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog?
Maybe for the same reason that piece of iron they use to rerail boxcars on the railroad is called a frog, which is....