Why is a Frog on a plane called a Frog?

Page 1 of 3

Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog?
Thanks in advance, TWS

Calling it a "toad" would make no sense at all, would it?
| Can anyone give me the reason a 'frog' is called a frog? | | Thanks in advance, | TWS
"Frog" is probably a corruption of the word "froe" which means :a cutting tool with one end of its blade fastened at right angles to a short handle. Use: to split wood along the grain to make shingles or barrel staves". Could also originate in the Anglo-Saxon word meaning "from" as in "to remove shavings from". -- PDQ
If he's flying first class, he's usually called "Sir" or "Mr. Frog".
Leonard Bailey, the original inventor, never mentions the name "Frog" in his patent in 1858. Later after Stanley bought him out, Traut patented an improved lateral adjustment where he mentions the "frog", but he gives no clue as to the origin of the term.
A horse's hoof has a wedge-shaped structure called a frog. Maybe it was the similarity in shape?
Josh
TWS wrote:

Also the wedge shape of a train rail switch, where one rail crosses another is called a frog.

hmmmm .. .. ..
WHY is a frog called a frog ?? ?? ??
EXT wrote:

Actually the animal's name is kikker (dutch) or Rana (latin), or ... whatever.
--
Best regards
Han

Lyagushka.
Han (in Xns97A782682920ikkezelf@199.45.49.11) said:
> [...]
...Kroakenhopper ?
The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:

Quebecois?
Oleg Lego (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly: | || ...Kroakenhopper ? | | Quebecois?
Severely fractured German :-)
The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:

No! Quebecois is another name for a frog.
On 16/04/2006 12:44 PM, <<<__ Bob __>>> wrote:

Because it tastes like chicken.

If it wasn't, no one would recognize it.
I think you have that a bit messed up and some of the descriptions are bit unclear.
I believe a frog has nothing to do with a switch, and rails don't really cross another. What the rails do is form a cross, often sharply angled and the piece of rail that is part of the intersection is the frog. It could be that I am mistaken and the pivot anchor for the swinging arm of a switch is also called a frog, but I believe it is just a part of the switch.
EXT wrote:

They didn't think Aardvark sounded to good. :)

TWS wrote:

Suggest you buy a good dictionary. The answer is there are all sorts of things call a frog that look similar. Most are a lump of something (like a frog squatting). The horses foot part is a good answer but it also is just a lump of something.

From webster's unabridged:
3 a (1) : a looped device attached to a belt for holding a weapon or tool (2) : a front fastening for a garment (as a coat, jacket, dress) that is made usually of braid in an ornamental looped design with a bar-shaped button or thick knot on one edge of the opening to fit into a loop on the other b : a device made of rail sections constructed and assembled to permit the wheels on one rail of a track to cross another rail of an intersecting track c : a shallow place for mortar in the upper face of a brick d : the frame or block to which the share, moldboard, landside, or beam of a plow are secured e : the nut of a violin bow : HEEL -- see BOW illustration f (1) : the junction of two branches of a flume (2) : a guiding timber at the mouth of a slide g : a device for supporting and mutually insulating trolley wires that cross each other h : the seat for the plane iron in the stock of a carpenter's plane i : a loom device that actuates a stop motion when the shuttle is out of position

TWS wrote:

Because it looks like a frog sitting on its haunches.
http://www.nature.ca/notebooks/images/leopfrog.gif

More likely to have come from railroad terminology. See about halfway down for 'frog'.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_switch>