Why I hate the Borg

Page 1 of 2
I just read a post that got my blood pressure up regarding customer service. I have a similar tale:
Last Saturday, I set out to cap my workbench as well as make a saw guide, as I do not own a table saw. I also had to pick up a few odds and ends (tube of adhesive, 1# of roofing nails, etc), so I decided to go to the Borg because I knew exactly where those things were; I figured, "What the hell...I'll pick up a sheet of 3/4 MDF while I'm out." Yeah.
After wandering about the lumber section and not finding any MDF, I asked the young child at the, uh, oh yeah! The Project Desk for a sheet of 3/4 MDF. He told me that it was kept outside in the lumber yard and I could pay for it, then drive around the back and pick it up. Okay, no problem. By the way, how much is it? Eleven dollars a sheet. Super.
I get to the front with my tube of Liquid Nails and my roofing nails and tell the middle-aged housewife working the register that I need a sheet of 3/4 MDF. "What's MDF?" So it begins.
After spending 10 minutes explaining to her (and the other lobotomites in line) what MDF was, she pored over her cost code sheet and said she needed to call someone. She did, and was given some explaination or other and said to me, "All it is is particle board."
"Well, ma'am, it's not exactly particle board. You see, the wood fiber--"
(Getting Snippy)"It's listed as particle board on my sheet here, and all you have to do next time is ask for particle board."
Fine. So I pay the eleven dollars for the sheet of listed-as-particle-board and drive my p/u around the back of the store, where I have the exact same conversation with the lumber yard guy. Finally, he tells me to pull around to door number 3 and they'll load my materiel.
Guess what the loading hand tries to load into my pickup?
I spent another half hour trying to get my eleven dollars back. By this time, I was seething. I was able to hold it together long enough not to choke the manager of the store and got out of there.
So, anyone know of a source of 3/4" MDF in the Sandusky, Ohio area?
-Phil Crow
FWIW, "Some" Borg's have 2X4 precut MDF sheets in the precut section.
--
Rumpty

<snip>
When I'm in Sandusky, I always get mine at Home Depot. Just ask for particle board - they'll know what you want.

My Borgs carry particle board AND MDF.
Do _you_ know what MDF is? <G>
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

I've asked for MDO at my local Borg and they don't have it. I've seen MDF over there, though. The two are easy to confuse, if you don't know the difference and aren't looking at a piece in front of you.

OR...
Ask for "Baltic Birch Plywood." It is a reflex that can't be stopped. They will drop the first word and repeat the rest... "Birch Plywood? Yeah we have that? Telling them that BBP comes in 5x5 sheets will not help either. The response will be that theirs comes 4x8 but they can cut it for you.
There are just some things that you shouldn't go to the Borg for. Learn them. Remember them. Then you will not be disappointed/frustrated.
-Chris

The entertainment value of having them try to cut a 4x8 sheet down to 5x5 would be worth the time wasted.
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:56:38 -0400, WCD wrote:

heh...guilty as charged... I do admit to having trailed employees at the local microcenter just to hear their pitch. good for a laugh.
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.

You gotts to be talkin' about the greasy-haired pimple-face at the Powers Ferry store, right ?
Whut a maroon !
Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Yes, I do that, and I'm not even a puter pro! Depends on my mood, and spare time, but it can be real fun.
Barry Lennox
Chris Powers writes:

Yes. And it does help if you remember that the big boxes are not designed for, or by, woodworkers. Any woodworking items found there are incidental to their main mission, so it is somewhat silly to criticize them on that basis. Now, when they screw up on building materials....
Charlie Self
"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does." Will Rogers

Agreed - but they have just enough *stuff* to keep you hopeful. Just enough Freud Forstners; Bessey's, Bench Dog Blade-Loc, the PC 557 Plate Joiner for $199.
I - however - have come to grip with the fact that it's something pathological with me
5 REM 10 Enter BORG ever hopeful. 20 Wander looking for things that they moved the night before 30 Find 2 of the 7 things I need 40 Leave disappointed 50 DELAY 7 Days 60 GOTO 10
tnfkajs wrote:

Wow. It took me a long time to figure out WTF you were talking about. Takes me back to days of yore, man.
Personally, I don't like the Borg much. They have like three things on-hand that Lowe's doesn't. Otherwise they're Just Like Lowe's, Only Orange, and Lowe's is both closer and has better looking women working there. ;)
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:43:27 -0400, Silvan

Hey, my neice works at Lowes. You keep away - she is a sweet girl (albeit quite a cutie).
She says she gets hit on a ton working there.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
tnfkajs wrote: [snip]

GOTO Considered Harmful     Edsgar
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote in message

Ayup. I've had mixed experiences with HD. When I was installing a landscape irrigation system, I got some really good help/info; and that was from young guys you'd think wouldn't know anything. When I was looking for help buying a jigsaw (sabersaw) I asked the older 'expert' guy and he offered nothing I couldn't learn myself by reading the product boxes.
Then there was the time I needed a simple adapter for the gas line on a clothes dryer. I looked and looked and couldn't find what I needed. My wife was with me at the time (mistake) and, getting impatient, yelled down the aisle for a young employee to come help. I'd seen that guy but could tell he was useless so I was waiting for the older employee to return. Sure enough, the young guy literally dragged his feet as he walked towards us. Seriously, he walked like he was wearing 50 pound shoes. He looked for a few seconds and concluded, if you don't see it, we don't have it (which, by pure chance, he was right about). When the older guy finally returned, I asked him. He looked at the rack for a few seconds and then walked away. I thought "great, this guy just abandoned me." A couple minutes later he comes back with the part I need and hands it to me. I say "doesn't it need a barcode label?" He says, "oh, we don't sell those but we have a few laying around. Just put it in your pocket and leave." Now that's good service.
Cheers, Mike
On 25 Jul 2003 20:23:40 -0700, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote:

My theory is that every Borg has some of those good guys wandering around. The trick is to identify them and then zero in on them whenever you need help. Read their name tag. Write their name down if necessary. Call them by it. Buy them beer. Whatever it takes. The day will come when that guy will save your bacon because he knows who you are and is willing to bend a bit to keep you happy.
By the same token, don't short they complete ignoramuses. I've spent a lot of time explaining stuff to ignorant sales clerks in both the Borg and at computer retailers. Spreading knowledge is always good. Most of the older, more knowledgeable, guys started out without knowing anything -- maybe they didn't start in retail, but no one is born knowing the fitting you need to make your dryer work. Maybe with some encouragement and the employee discount some of those pimply-faced know-nothings will turn into woodworkers and one day come in here and explain how to apply poly to painted cherry.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On 25 Jul 2003 06:18:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

No kiddin' . . .
Several years ago . . . a decade ago, really, I managed to make off with a 5'x5' BB sheet. Guy said they normally stocked the things for re-finishing desk tops. He couldn't come to grips with the notion that I was going to cut it up to make formers and such for my giant scale model aircraft.
Alas, I need another sheet or two. Got the first one at Atlanta Hardwoods, but they seem to have disappeared/relocated/gone.
Any decent hard wood suppliers in hotLanta besides the high-priced spread at Woodcraft ? Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
<snip>

Fred --
Try http://www.hardwoodweb.com/company/awpc.cfm
Atlanta Wood Products is still down off South Cobb Drive right near I-285. There is also Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw.
--
David Chamberlain

snipped-for-privacy@nospamhotmail.com