Why does Gorilla glue suck?

Page 1 of 3
OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down good. I glued both sides and seated a 1x2 into a 1/4" rabit that was a "tap in" tight fit. This was clamped overnight. The next day a light tap with a hammer broke the joint with absolutely no damage to the wood. I think library paste would have done a better job. Where did I go wrong? I can send pictures of the bad joint.
It sounds as thoough one side of the maple may have had a coat of wax, silicone spray or some other kind of contaminat. That sounds unkike any experience I have ever had with Gorilla glue. Guess it could be a bad batch. Also, I have heard that there is a shelf life of one-two years on a bottle so maybe yours is old stock? Is there a chance you squeezed all the glue out when you clamped? That's bout all the ideas I can come up with. Unless the bottom of the rabbet was not square with the 1/4. It won't bridge a large gap very well. If you used a wobble dado blade, it leaves the bottom of the joint rather rounded.
On 20 Aug 2003 19:38:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comGreg (Gfretwell) wrote:

See if there is a date on the bottle, I've seen glue in stores that should have been off the shelf.
: Here is a picture. The wood was freshly cut so I doubt it was waxy etc. I just : bought the glue a couple days ago from HD and it was sealed. : :
http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/joint.gif

The only numbers are 76395030515. I don't see a date in there. They say the shelf life is 3 years.
On 20 Aug 2003 20:41:29 GMT, Gfretwell wrote:

Those last six numbers might mean May 15, 2003, but who knows....
david
--
"We have money to blow up bridges over the Tigress and Euphrates and we
don't have money to build bridges in our major cities. We have money to

You might want to change your signature quote to this one from Dennis Kucinich:
"In our soul's Magnificent, we become conscious of the cosmos within us. We hear the music of peace, we hear the music of cooperation, we hear music of love. In our soul's forgetting, we become unconscious of our cosmic birthright, blighted with disharmony, disunity, torn asunder from the stars in a disaster ..."
todd
--------------3476E18DDCCF695F7C486938 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
todd wrote:

--------------3476E18DDCCF695F7C486938--
snipped-for-privacy@dreamdynamics.nospam.com wrote: It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese. -- Carl Sagan
Remember that we're experimenting on the dolphins that were stupid enough to get caught. -- David Steup
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:03:23 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

another excellent addition to my saved quotes!
Who is David Steup though? I can't find anything on him.
david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being
snipped-for-privacy@dreamdynamics.nospam.com wrote:

smartest people I've ever known. Has an MS in pharmacy, PhD in toxicology, and I don't know what else.
Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe not, they could be on leave from their school (pod) for some post dock work in foreign/primative languages or primate studies.
ARM

Doug Miller wrote:

LOL!!! I just found out milk makes a good monitor cleaner. ARM
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:03:57 -0500, todd wrote:

That....is an excellent quote. Thanks for sharing it!
david
--
"We have money to blow up bridges over the Tigress and Euphrates and we
don't have money to build bridges in our major cities. We have money to
"> --

Why do so many people feel the need to add political or religious signatures to their posts? This could be a place where everyone can talk about woodworking, without someone else's baggage making them mad.
Just a thought.
--
Jim in NC--

you think he's bad, Google Mike Zuchick's posts. I refer to him as Mike Zealot. He hit up the Wreck a while back for donations for a burial. We all pretty much told him what he could do with his prosletizing and begging.
dave
Morgans wrote:

And that is a very nifty quote to use as your .sig. I'm gonna save it!
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:59:46 +0000, Neil Woods wrote:

Also interesting to note that humans aren't caught in fishing nets deployed my the dolphins and served in casserole along tuna and cheese, nor subjugated by dolphins are taught to react to verbal signals. My dog knows about 12 words of English. Guide dogs for the blind often know German. So what?
"@40tude.net...

The Difference is, that I don't carry on a conversation with the idgets with the bumper sticker, and don't have any chance to voice my counter points. I might converse with you, and would like to do so, without wanting to spout off.
Don't feel like I was picking on just you. There are many others, but I usually bite my tounge, and save giving a piece of mind. Problem is, I don't like holding back.
--
Jim in NC--

I had never meant for my signature to inspire conversation, either. It was just supposed to be there, innocently lurking below my name. Perhaps to be read, mostly to be ignored. Never to be its own thread....
I couldn't agree more, that the conversation here should be about woodworking. I am really wishing I hadn't chosen what turned out to be such a volatile signature.
david