why do worm driven and cordless circular saw have blades on opposite side?

Most 7 1/2 corded circular saws have the blade on the right side. I'm lead to believe this is because for right-handed people, there will be less risk of kickback, dust, and also the saw will be riding on the keep side of the wood.

Why then, do most worm-driven and cordless circular saws have the blade on the left side?

Reply to
peter

IIRC the balde is on the right side of most regular saws for the majority of right hand users. This is to keep your body out of alignment with the blade.

Very good question.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
John

The truth is you can get used to anything.

I often wonder why nearly every corded drill is a pistol grip style and nearly every cordless drill is a T-handle style. In my mind these styles should be reversed for ergonomic reasons.

I think people get used to seeing tools designed a certain way and that's what they buy so the manufacturers just make what sells. Certainly the mechanical and ergonomic considerations are many but certain design elements seem to follow what's popular.

In the building trades, tools are used in many situations that aren't encountered in the shop so workers develope the ability to use some tools in either hand and often in some odd positions.

One nice thing about blade left circular saws is that you can see better as you cut to the middle of a sheet of material as a righty.

So get ambidextrious baby!!!

David

Reply to
Bannerstone

Right handed framers and builders preference..... Often you are standing, or kneeling on the 'keep' side and want to continue squarely supporting the saw as the waste falls away. Keeps the blade away from your body also.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

Only when you stick your thumbs in them.

Reply to
CW