Why do we call it "Stain"?

Well, discolor or datcolor or maybe somecolor other.

;-) Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

To me "skidded into a crash" implies that it collided with a pre-existing crash.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

If you read the 17th century references (do you have Stalker & Parker?) then the roots of the process are quite obviously connected to our notions of "staining". Any recipe that begins with taking a few handfuls of fresh horse dung and squeezing it in a cloth in the hope that they might produce a permanent colouring on timber is clearly desperate for any pigment that isn't fugitive, can't produce much than a faint tint rather than a strong colour, and is probably inspired by past laundry problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I can understand over turned but all the local TV stations catch on fire from the others. For years it was "the vehicle turned over". Some one fresh out of college introduces "over turned" and mentions it a time or two and then all the other new stations use the new "buzz" word.

A few years back indices replaced indexes. Most went back to indexes.

And yes, the airplane did skid "and" crash. The crash "not a noun" was a result, not an object.

Reply to
Leon

A friend and I were "conversating" about that just the other day. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

To clarify, the airplane went sliding off the runway through the fence into on coming traffic on the near by road way. It and a car collided as a result.

The airplane skidded into a crash.

Reply to
Leon

What if it slipped and crashed? =8^0