Why do people take up the challenge of idiots?

I would like to filter out off-topic posters as well as those who reply. After all, those who reply are wasting bandwidth for all of us as well as their own time.

However, some of those who reply to these idiots frequently respond to serious woodworking questions with answers I'd like to read.

Is there any solution?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Sam Kewl

On Sat 11 Oct 2003 11:11:02a, Sam Kewl wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The only one I've been able to find is to filter out the subjects as they come in.

But I should note that I find some off-topic posts interesting enough to follow, so I don't WANT to filter them out of hand.

Can we assume you're filtering out any post with an "OT:" in it? That will catch a fair percentage of them.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Yes. Step away from your computer. Go play with your dog or your kids if you have any. That way you won't be bothered by off topic posts such as this one.

dave

Sam Kewl wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Killfile the thread.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Filter using key words in the subject. Forget about trying to identify the spammers and OT posters as they change their names and/or ISPs frequently. For me I had to set up about 20 key words, then added a dozen the first week, and then 1 or 2 keywords a week after that. That way you are not filtering those who feed the trolls, just the content.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
john smith

I started removing "senders" using the "Block Sender" command under Message menu. Yes I block the original sender and all who reply until the subject is gone. The unwanted stuff is way down on my PC so it's working. Yes that does mean I'll loose some valuable info from a few woodworkers who reply to this junk...But with so many of you...do I really need 101 opinions. Also I use Google for any serious research.

Reply to
Dave A.

Turn off your computer and sell it. You wont get much for it, but then you wont be bothered by it.

Ms Leslie

Reply to
Leslie Gossett