Why do I hate distressed furniture

Page 2 of 2

Damnit! I hate it when that happens.

developed,
"Fake
Ahhhh - a man after my own discriminating heart. As I tell the wife - it's all about the curves and the slopes. I'm a 34 guy at my base level but give me a good upturned model and I'm in heaven.

Alas - brethren. Birds of a feather. All of that stuff.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

it's
give
Then it goes without saying the importance with which the above must be verified, individually, by tactile methods, as well as to verify proper textural properties.
Measure twice ... and all that.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/30/06

Well hell yeah!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I agree with you that it is all about taste, but you miss my point. I am not after a beat up piece of furniture, just something without pretense. I would feel flakey explaining to someone that it's not really an antique, I just beat it with a chain to make it look that way.

Not true, my thoughts and opinions on things mellow over time. The interesting thing is seeing the change and the trend. I suspect you don't keep a journal or you wouldn't have said that.
replying to Todd the wood junkie, John Riley wrote: It used to be where you would find furniture on a curb, sand it down, repair it, and then repaint it or stain it, to restore it to its former glory. Now it goes straight from the curb to someone's living room. And manufacturers create new furniture that looks like Goodwill wouldn't even take it. I have a Jeep that has dents and scratches from going off-road. Each has a story behind it. What is the story of your fake distressed furniture's dings and wear? What 'character' does it really have? A Japanese saying has it that 'the broken cup tells a story'. There is no story behind all this fake distressing. Where there is no story, there is no character.
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 12:14:03 PM UTC-5, John Riley wrote:

For some of us novices, we unintentially distress furniture when we try to build anew.
Some salvaged lumber requires lots of cleanup, before building anew, so "reverse distressing" (sic), somewhat, is required. I don't care for distressed furniture, but I like old and/or used quality salvaged lumber/furniture.... 50% of the time.
Kinna the same opinion for old tools, also. They have their own stories, that live on with continued use.
Sonny

Great post Sonny!
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 1:14:03 PM UTC-4, John Riley wrote:

I'll join the 10 year conversation.
My daughter asked me to make one of these "fake distressed" items to put outside her dorm room:
http://allgiftsconsidered.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/hashtag-chalkboard.jpg
The story behind it is this:
Every time someone says "Wow, that's really cool! Where did you get it?", she gets to say "My Dad made it for me!"
I kind of like that story.
On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 11:24:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Nice!

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 10:14:03 AM UTC-7, John Riley wrote:

An antique toy with no wear... is a sad story
Antique furniture without wear, is another kind of sad story. Some of my favorites are from bygone decades, it's THOSE I choose for guidance.
Even though I don't distress my pieces, the design is intended to work with the scars of future time and mishandling. A dentable panel with a few knots, or a kickable molding, or a bit of trim to make an eyecatching line, a choice of non-impervious finish... maybe someday one of these bookcases will be an antique.