Why Do Batteries Suck So Much And When Is It Going To Stop?

Page 4 of 4

Got two of 'em, right (touch) here. Gonna put 'em on eBay one of these days. I can check voltage & let you know if they're any good. But, here's what they look like: http://www.duck-creek.net/dave/collections/electronics / 30 volts, it says on the label.
David wrote:

break open a 9v battery. a true battery, i.e., made up of multiuple cells. The cells happen to be AAAA size.
-j

Googling "aaaa cell" found http://www.batterystore.com/Eveready/E96.htm . That is most certainly not what's inside the last 9V battery I tore open (granted, that was years ago, but I can't imagine they've changed much). The 9V was a stack of (6, I guess) flat rectangular shaped cells.
According to the Battery Store Site, AAAA capacity is 625 mAh, the same as for a 9V. So it takes six 1.5V cells to make 9V, but the total capacity is not 6 times AAAA capacity.
Steve

Steve Peterson wrote:

I made this same mistake (in a different scenario) just the other day. You actually prove my point, since the max current from a single cell will be the max current of the battery.
The difference is voltage and power: the single AAAA will have 937.5 mWh, whereas the 9v battery will have 5625 mWh.
As I posted earlier, once upon a time I read this and found it to be the case. Things may have changed. I wish I had a 9V here, just so I could see.
-j
Joe User wrote:

found nothing but smelly stuff so it seems they are not all made the same.
Roy Smith wrote:

Well, it's been years, but I read something (either a circuit or a repair for a device with an AAAA battery) that told me to tear open a 9V to get some AAAA batteries. I didn't need the AAAAs but, being the curious type, tore one open anyway. It was, in fact, 6 itty bitty cells, just like a AA only smaller. They were in actual packaging, but with brown paper, no artwork.
I haven't broken one open in years, so things certainly may have changed since then.
-j

Interesting. I can swear I found 6 little flat cells stack one on top of each other (I was a kid; it might have been 30 years ago), but some more googling found:
http://quiz2.chem.arizona.edu/preproom/Demo%20Files/9-volt_battery.htm
whcih certainly supports the AAAA theory! I know what I'm doing this weekend :-)
On 9 Sep 2005 11:23:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Roy Smith) wrote:

there could be lots of ways to build a 9v battery. no reason all manufacturers have to do it the same way.
Joe User wrote:

year). It contained a series of AAAA's.
Dave
Larry Jaques wrote:

You're right, Larry. Why, just look at this breakthrough in batter technology!
http://tinyurl.com/a99c2 (National Geographic)
scribbled:

Cool. No more need for the pee bucket or the walks to the compost bin. Just recharge the batteries. Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
On 7 Sep 2005 16:02:02 -0700, the blithe spirit "Dhakala"

<g>
Alas, poor Uric. I knew him, Horatio.
I'll keep one of those saliva phones in my glove box for emergencies.
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, batteries suck. All my power tools need electrical receptacles. They don't run out of power, they are less expensive, and last a lot longer.
Phisherman (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| Yeah, batteries suck. All my power tools need electrical | receptacles. They don't run out of power, they are less expensive, | and last a lot longer.
Most of mine as well - although I have a small assortment of pneumatic tools that I've found helpful.
My one rechargable tool is an 18v HF cordless drill that I use for pocket hole screws because I haven't found a (reasonably-priced) corded drill with an adjustable clutch.