Why Do Batteries Suck So Much And When Is It Going To Stop?

I made this same mistake (in a different scenario) just the other day. You actually prove my point, since the max current from a single cell will be the max current of the battery.

The difference is voltage and power: the single AAAA will have 937.5 mWh, whereas the 9v battery will have 5625 mWh.

As I posted earlier, once upon a time I read this and found it to be the case. Things may have changed. I wish I had a 9V here, just so I could see.

-j

Reply to
Joe User

Interesting. I can swear I found 6 little flat cells stack one on top of each other (I was a kid; it might have been 30 years ago), but some more googling found:

certainly supports the AAAA theory! I know what I'm doing this weekend :-)

Reply to
Roy Smith

I broke a 9V Duracell open last year, for grins. (Or maybe early this year). It contained a series of AAAA's.

Dave

Reply to
David

there could be lots of ways to build a 9v battery. no reason all manufacturers have to do it the same way.

Reply to
bridger

I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

try BatteriesPlus, if there's a store near you, and I assume they're online. One just opened near me (Huntsville, AL) and they have some slightly oddball stuff on the shelf, and can order really oddball stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an A in the store.

I've never seen a B.

-j

Reply to
Joe User

I think I'd build a power supply first.

Reply to
bridger

| I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC | the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a | Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).

I don't think A and B refer to battery types in this context - but rather to power _inputs_. IIRC the B supply was the filament supply and was somewhere around six and a half volts.

Any _really_ old-timers out there who can help with this one?

Morris Dovey

I'm not a *really* old timer, but did play with old radios while I was growing up. There really was a "B" battery, it's purpose was to power all but the filaments, the A battery powered the filaments. is a nice write-up

Mark & Juanita

There is a diagram attached to the inside of the lid (it's a gorgeous walnut case) that shows the "A" Battery (yes, I suspect you are correct in your assessment, A and B are just reference letters in this context) sized and shaped much like an automobile battery, and it specifies it as 6v. That would be the filament supply, I suppose.

The diagram also shows two 45v batteries (both labelled 'B', oddly). They're short squat square batteries with binding posts on the top surface.

FWIW it is Stewart-Warner model 303.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

more about this. The three poles on the b battery prevented it from being put in wrong. You may have to use a battey eliminator instead of the battery at this point. There are some 22.5 volt batteries to be had, though I don't recall their designation.

Try this location:

may get you what you need.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

Yeah, batteries suck. All my power tools need electrical receptacles. They don't run out of power, they are less expensive, and last a lot longer.

Reply to
Phisherman

| Yeah, batteries suck. All my power tools need electrical | receptacles. They don't run out of power, they are less expensive, | and last a lot longer.

Most of mine as well - although I have a small assortment of pneumatic tools that I've found helpful.

My one rechargable tool is an 18v HF cordless drill that I use for pocket hole screws because I haven't found a (reasonably-priced) corded drill with an adjustable clutch.

Morris Dovey

Got two of 'em, right (touch) here. Gonna put 'em on eBay one of these days. I can check voltage & let you know if they're any good. But, here's what they look like:

volts, it says on the label.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've ripped one open before and found 6 aaaa's and ripped another open and found nothing but smelly stuff so it seems they are not all made the same.

Reply to
Eugene Nine