Why did Grizzly raise their prices?

The conflicts -- Vietnam, Korea -- were absolutely part of the Cold War. The only reason we got involved at all was because the Russians would be supporting the `other' side and our politicians would get nervous about being tagged as the people who `lost' (fill in the blank.)

Or, the Russians and/or Chinese would seek to liberate exploit stir up trouble free overturn right a wrong

(pick your version of events) and the U.S. would respond.

The phrase `Cold War' does not mean there was no shooting. It just means that the U.S. and the Russians didn't shoot at each other directly, since that would quickly escalate into our Mutually Assured Destruction. (the policy of MAD).

It would more accurate to call that time the `Decades of War by Proxy.'

And before you tag the Dems as the warmonger party, remember that the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, which became the thin reed of authorization for prosecuting the conflict, says in part ...

``Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the Congress approves and supports the determination of the President, as Commander in Chief, to take all necessary measures to repel any armed attack against the forces of the United States and to prevent further aggression.''

Surely there were one or two Republicans that voted for the measure. would love to find the actual vote breakdown, but it escapes me for the moment.

"Bob" wrote:

Larry Levinson Talking up to the vocal ... LLevinson*Bloomberg.net (remove the star etc ....)

Reply to
Larry Levinson

Uh, seems to me that Korea and Viet Nam, to mention the bigger conflicts, were fought during and as a result of cold war policies...

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Ya know, I get REAL upset when they try to slip tuna into my bottle-nose dolphin sushimi. 8-)

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

You're mixing up your Limbaughisms. You are also creating both sides, actually about a dozen sides, to some unnown arguments that only you know about and then slinging insults against all of them. What, precisely, is your point, other than that you are a good little ditto head out for a gang bang ?

Reply to
GregP

You're quite a case.

Bulgaria Czechoslovakia Hungary Poland Romania Soviet sector of Germany

Lost because we wouldn't - thought we couldn't - resist. Then we learned our lesson.

Damn close in Greece, Yugoslavia and Austria.

Had you forgotten, or did you never learn why the cold war began?

Reply to
George

Larry Levinson notes:

And it was Ike who sent the first U.S. "advisers" to 'Nam.

Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

We didn't win the Cold War, we just had a bigger credit line than they did and outspent them. Now, we have to figure out how to pay back all the money Reagan flushed in his insane effort to show up the Russians. I knew Reagan was sending us into disaster and I've been a conservative Republican my entire life. Hell, I VOTED for Reagan and now think he turned out to be one of the worst presidents we've ever had.

And news flash, neither party represents the working man. They haven't for decades now.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I think it was actually Truman, on September 27, 1950 when the U.S. established a Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) in Saigon to aid the French Army.

Nova

Indeed. The prices of commodity like lead, copper and iron have increased by 30-40% over the past year. Add in 50% increase in energy costs and it's no wonder prices have been increasing at a rate greater than inflation. Caterpillar has increased prices by 3% twice in the last 9 months to accomodate rising commodity prices.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not sure about OneNet, Rob, but PMUG definitely is. We have several hundred members (600 or so) and a full classroom for the free basics classes given to members on Wednesday evenings. (Portland Macintosh Users Group) In fact, at the end of the month, there is an elementary class being offered in basic drafting using MacCad for those who want to play with drafting for simple projects.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

They don't because the American people no longer hold them accountable.

Reply to
TBone

As I recall, Cat also reported that their costs for plate steel went up 105% in the past year!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Amazing, isn't it? First we get anti-dumping trade restrictions reversed by the WTO and then the price skyrockets. If we could build a steel mill anywhere, now'd be the time.

Reply to
George

It seems that the economic downturn lasted so long that many companies closed mills. Now that the demand is way up internationally there is not enough capacity to meet the demand. Add in the Chinese buying up all the scrap they can get their hands on and the prices have gone WAY up... Also add in the fact that the opportunity costs of opening a new mill are huge, and the time to get one on line long, it's pretty hard for the industry to respond to the high demand quickly... and with the investor's luck it's arrival on the scene would probably correspond with a new downturn!

John Glad I bought all my big iron in the past... except a big lathe that is. ;-)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Reply to
Jim K