Why did Grizzly raise their prices?

Page 4 of 4

We didn't win the Cold War, we just had a bigger credit line than they did and outspent them. Now, we have to figure out how to pay back all the money Reagan flushed in his insane effort to show up the Russians. I knew Reagan was sending us into disaster and I've been a conservative Republican my entire life. Hell, I VOTED for Reagan and now think he turned out to be one of the worst presidents we've ever had.
And news flash, neither party represents the working man. They haven't for decades now.

They don't because the American people no longer hold them accountable.

"loutent" wrote in message

Discounting the fact that "20 or 30 somethings " aren't old enough to have any "perspective" on how much these things have changed, can you be certain that the only reason they are "optimistic about things" is that they are anticipating more SEX?
... work(s)(ed) for me. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

This is exactly the (my) point.
A that age, we didn't need no stinkin' perspective either.
Now (as old farts) we've got perspective up the wazoo...
;-)
Lou
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Reminds me of the loggers protesting the spotted owl restrictions, many of them driving foreign-made pickups. Something not quite credible about that. (Not to mention the mill closure they were protesting was for a mill that had been closed for over ten years before the spotted owl was even discusssed!) <sigh>
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Spotted Owl is highly overrated. Not nearly as tasty as Blue Heron but more flavourful than Condor.
Mmmmm... I noticed pmug. OneNet still a going concern, Glenna?
Rob

Ya know, I get REAL upset when they try to slip tuna into my bottle-nose dolphin sushimi. 8-)
snipped-for-privacy@bulltopworks.ca writes:

Not sure about OneNet, Rob, but PMUG definitely is. We have several hundred members (600 or so) and a full classroom for the free basics classes given to members on Wednesday evenings. (Portland Macintosh Users Group) In fact, at the end of the month, there is an elementary class being offered in basic drafting using MacCad for those who want to play with drafting for simple projects.
Glenna
The dollar's only a part of it. Steel prices, even scrap, are at record levels. The price change was known, thanks to some good folks in this forum. It pushed me into a purchase before years end.
Dave

Because *ALL* prices are going up across the board. We've been talking about this for months now, woodworking tools are going up in price because they've been artificially low for years now. It won't be just Grizzly, it'll be every brand taking a 10-20% increase over the next couple months.

Indeed. The prices of commodity like lead, copper and iron have increased by 30-40% over the past year. Add in 50% increase in energy costs and it's no wonder prices have been increasing at a rate greater than inflation. Caterpillar has increased prices by 3% twice in the last 9 months to accomodate rising commodity prices.

As I recall, Cat also reported that their costs for plate steel went up 105% in the past year!
John

Amazing, isn't it? First we get anti-dumping trade restrictions reversed by the WTO and then the price skyrockets. If we could build a steel mill anywhere, now'd be the time.

It seems that the economic downturn lasted so long that many companies closed mills. Now that the demand is way up internationally there is not enough capacity to meet the demand. Add in the Chinese buying up all the scrap they can get their hands on and the prices have gone WAY up... Also add in the fact that the opportunity costs of opening a new mill are huge, and the time to get one on line long, it's pretty hard for the industry to respond to the high demand quickly... and with the investor's luck it's arrival on the scene would probably correspond with a new downturn!
John Glad I bought all my big iron in the past... except a big lathe that is. ;-)
Here's one of the reasons...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-10-13-steel-prices_x.htm
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:42:27 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"