Why did Grizzly raise their prices?

Page 1 of 4
Is it because of the dollar being devalued? When the dollar goes up again will they lower their prices? I think they are shooting their self in the foot. Their previous prices is what made them so popular. If their prices are the same or higher than Delta's, etc., I myself would prefer to buy strictly American unless, they out source to China.

Ether way a more popular brand is most likely a better way to go. I thought about it for a long time before I bought my Jet 6" jointer. Now I see Griz's 6" heaby duty jointer, with hand wheels, is more money after freight then my Jet was 6 or so months ago. But now I see Jet apparently has raised their price too as it is about 10% higher so they all may be raising prices. If resale value is a concern, my bet is Jet, Delta, or Powermatic will resell at a better price than Grizzly. Greg

For the most part, I agree with you. However, notice that some Grizzly tools sell for more than the comparable popular brand. The following examples use Amazon's free shipping vs. Grizzly's published shipping charges.
Exhibit A: Grizzly makes an 8" jointer that is comparable to Delta's 8" "Professional" jointer, with the Grizz selling for a bit less.
Exhibit B: The Grizzly 8" jointer that has parallelogram tables, and is actually comparable to a DJ-20 sells for MORE than the X-5 DJ-20.
Once you get into Grizzly's "Industrial" line, you're in a completely different realm, and I don't think resale value would suffer. Grizz's "Woodshop News" ads usually show these tools. For 10" tablesaws, smaller band saws, etc... I think Grizzly does not carry the same resale percentage as the old line brands, regardless of what anyone here thinks of quality.
Our local ad rag, which covers Southeastern NY, Long Island, CT, MA, and RI, (East Westchester County to you, Charlie <G>) had an 8 month old 3HP 1023 SL, with a _sliding table_ for $600 listed for months. $700 Unisaws and JTAS-10s, without accessories, get sold in hours in this paper. I sold my 6 year old Jet contractor's saw there for almost $400! This newspaper and it's web counterpart cover an area of 12-15 million people, and an awful lot of wooddorkers.
This very well may be a local thing, as this is area was the home of Woodworker's Warehouse. A few years back, WW had a house brand known as Reliant. Reliant went belly up, and left some folks without spare parts. I'm sure Grizzly is in a much better place than Reliant, but to those outside the 'wreck, Grizz is still an "off" brand.
Check out the only Grizzly tool currently listed from: <http://www.bargainnews.com/BNO/CatResult.cfm?RequestTimeoutP00&make=Tools
"JOINTER, 6", Grizzly, w/steel stand, cutting width 0-6", fence angles from 0-90 deg, good cond, $125. (203) 254-0164 . Fairfield "
$125? <G>
Here's the rest of the jointers: " JOINTER, 4", Craftsman, table top model, $60. (860) 557-1638. East Hartford JOINTER, 6'', Delta, w/steel stand, $200, Walker Turner, 6'' jointer, on cast iron stand, $285, 8'' Craftsman planer/molder thickness planer w/power feed & steel stand, $225. (203) 938-9502 . Redding JOINTER, 6", Grizzly, w/steel stand, cutting width 0-6", fence angles from 0-90 deg, good cond, $125. (203) 254-0164 . Fairfield JOINTER, 4", Craftsman, with belt driven motor, table. (203) 931-1711 Lou. West Haven JOINTER/PLANER, 4'', $100. (860) 349-9207. Durham WOOD JOINTER, Rockwell, 6"x42", cast iron, w/cast iron stand, 220 volts, single phase, excellent condition & blades, $400. (516) 795-7151 . Massapequa "
Barry

I wonder how long it takes to sell it! If I had seen it in my area for that price I would have grabbed it without even argueing the price. Before I bought my Jet I watched adds for a couple of years. Any reputable brand asking price was almost new price. In fact I just saw a Jet 6" advertised in the local rag for $500. It was only listed for a couple of days so my bet is it is gone. I see Sears/Craftsman jointers like this one http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 54 for sale for $200 often! They are garbage as far as I am concerned. One day I told my wife that if I died to watch what she sells my tools for! I said to get a tool catalog and ask 80% of new price! Greg

You know what's really funny?
That jointer is located in the land of the $4-500,000 starter home with $100,000 of cars in the driveway, Fairfield County, CT. So was the $600 8 month old 1023SL w/ sliding table.
If you drew a "C" on a map from Bridgeport, CT, down I-95 to NYC, arcing back out onto Long Island, the "C" could stand for ca$h. I know cabinetmakers who routinely drive 2-3 hours one way, because there are plenty of ultra high-end jobs inside that same "C".
Barry
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:26:52 GMT, Ba r r y

The 1023 SL with sliding table is(was) in the range $1100, the Unisaw in the range of $1800, and the JTAS-10s in the range of $1400. Based on these numbers, it appears to me that the best buy percentage-wise is the Unisaw and the worst is the Grizzly.

We actually have local dealers here in East Westchester County who sell Uni's in the $1650 range. The smaller, local guys, will match Tool Crib, as did Wooddorker's Warehouse. Only Woodcraft dosen't do local to web price matching.
Barry
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:21:08 GMT, Ba r r y

I'll have to take a ride over the next time I "go home" (Dobbs Ferry). I looked up woodworking places in the phone book last timeI was there, but didn't have the time to visit any of them.
But back to the subject, that still makes the Unisaw the only one of the 3 selling for less than half of list price.

These are listings, not actual sale prices. The Unisaws sell in hours, maybe the owners should ask more. The 1023 was listed for months, I have no idea what the eventual selling price was.
My $400 Jet CS went in about an hour after listing it in the same web / paper ads. More calls were continually coming in as I helped the guy load it up.
My original observation is that people would quickly line up to pay $400 for a 6 year old Jet CS with stamped wings, yet nobody was touching an 8 month old 1023SL, with sliding table, for $600.
If I didn't have a cabinet saw, I would have certainly investigated the $600 Grizzly.
Barry
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:37:40 GMT, Ba r r y

It sounds like it, especially in the NYC area.
The dollar is probably making it worse, but the raise in the cost of steel, earlier this year, was what caused the initial problem. They published a warning during early to mid summer that prices would raise at years end. You have to give them credit for providing ample warning. My son is a heavy construction manager and the rise in steel prices was driving their estimators nuts during the first two quarters of the year.
As far hurting them - I doubt it. The others are going up too and the margin will probably stay the same. I bought a Grizzly 1442 about 14 months ago for $799. I saw it in the same store, during a show/sale, in October and it was $915. The Jet rep blamed it on steel.
Steel, dollar probably doesn't matter they still have to make a profit and I credit Griz with issuing the warning.
> I bought a Grizzly 1442 about 14 months ago for $799.
Pardon-Should have said Jet 1442

Yeah, except some of the Delta stuff I have seen lately has made it a tough decision. I have lost all hope of classic American quality being what it once was. It seems like there has been some kind of shift in the last couple of decades - big corporations seem to have short-term profit in mind rather than long-term customer loyalty.
A friend of mine asked me a while back "why is everything turning to crap?"
A good question. I never thought I would see the day when I *had* to buy a $250 mixer for my wife - just to keep from buying a $20 mixer every 6 months.
I think I am turning into a geezer...
~Pike~

I hear you. I started my search for a cabinet saw three years ago with fond memory of the Unisaws I used in the 60's through the early 80's. When I started seeing what it had become since then, I bought a Grizzly 1023s - better value and better looking.
I think "American Quality" is becoming the stuff you buy here under American brand names with offshore parts and/or assembly. The eastern manufacturers are starting to kick our butts just like the Japaneese automakers did 30 years ago. Hopefully it will have the same effect and the local manufacturers will wake up and start providing quality again.
RonB

The explanation is steel prices and a few other reasons. Griz and others have been saying they'll be raising prices. At least they were up front about it and gave us plenty of time to buy at the lower costs.
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:52:45 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Grizzly also seems to be getting more popular. Most businesses will attempt to price to what the market will bear.
Barry
ranted:

The price of scrap steel has doubled recently. Watch for prices to go up on other things, too. The Chinese are buying every piece of scrap they can get their hands on, hence the scarcity, though it usually ends up back here anyway.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
They sell us trash and be sell them back trash, that's fair? Or, trash in trash out? :-)
Happy New Year everyone, it's not the end of the world trading trashes.

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:00:05 -0600, WD wrote:

Sounds like eBay writ large...
--
Joe Wells

Wanna see more trash? This may be the beginning of the end of Detroit.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0501/02/A01-47455.htm