Why bother.... ?

Page 1 of 2
"We have an exclusive coupon just for you! Use it to slice 20% off the regular price of the item of your choice."
Yabbut:
"This offer is for Internet orders only at Rockler.com and excludes sale items, power tools, Leigh jigs, Porter Cable dovetail jigs, Festool products, CNC Shark, Rockwell Jawhorse, Rockwell Blade Runner, Power Sharpening systems, Direct Ship items and Rockler Gift Cards. This offer cannot be combined with other offers or applied to previous orders. This offer not valid on RocklerPro.com. Hurry, offer expires 8/7/11. Rockler Woodworking and Hardware reserves the right to limit quantities, correct errors or omissions and modify or end this promotion at any time."
Nuff said ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/31/2011 10:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

Blame the lawyers and insurance companies for that.

Farking reeeediculous.
On 7/31/11 9:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

When I buy something at the local Woodcraft and they ask if I have any coupons, I always make sure the owner hears me reply, "Yes, but it says right here, in small print, 'not valid on anything you'd actually want to buy,'" just so he gets some customer feedback about how annoying their "coupons" are. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels that way. It seems like they email them twice a week too. It occurred to me that listing brands on the coupons is a form of marketing for the brands that are excluded: When you read
"Festool products, CNC Shark, Rockwell Jawhorse, Rockwell Blade Runner, Power Sharpening systems"
twice a week, something is bound to stick. Notice that this list is Not in alphabetical order, and that the brands are mentioned toward the beginning of the coupon. Mere coincidence? Ha. I really have no way of knowing...I'm just sayin'.
Bill
On 7/31/11 5:47 PM, Bill wrote:

I told them once, "if you guys want to make the fine print big enough to read, why don't you print what's NOT excluded."
--

-MIKE-

So, they had a screwdriver that was coupon eligible?

Sears often advertises "10% off every appliance" with no disclaimers. Go into the store and you find that certain brands are excluded. Always Electrolux, for instance. There are some items (Festool, Leigh and PC jigs, for sure) are price controlled by the manufacturer. The margins on power tools would make such a sale impossible. Other than that, yes, it's a come-on. What advertisement isn't?

On 7/31/2011 11:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yep, a come-on which has reached the status of a "turn-off" ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You've set your expectations way too high. ;-)
On 7/31/2011 12:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Not any longer ... :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

;-)
I've always been suspect of sales. I've been seeing more of this sort of ad recently. The first were from HF. Since they have little I want, at any price, I guess I'm jaded to the copycats. When one of these sales comes along, I will look through Rockler's (or Woodcraft's) catalog to see if there is anything I want that the sale makes worthwhile buying now. Sometimes they set a hook but not often.
BTW, just for kicks, I added a Laguna Drift Master fence ($400) to the basket. Nope, the sale didn't take. Did I miss something in the exclusion list? ;-)
Rockler also sent out a bunch of coupons ($5 off $15, $10 off $50, and $20 off $100, IIRC), good in-store. I'll bring them along when I go up to Atlanta, next time.

Can't beautify your garden, can't save any moneyr at Rocker... You're not really enjoying your Sunday much are you? Condolences.
On 7/31/2011 1:33 PM, Dave wrote:

LOL. ... and got a house full of estrogen to boot ... the girls just got back from a ten day musical tour in Alabama, Texas, Florida, Louisiana at three this morning and are heading to all points of the compass. Can you spell Trips to the airport?
Actually, it's good to have them all back. They can mow. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

The strategy may be or may have been profitable in the short run, but...

I just recieved notice of a 2 day only sale at Sears, 5% of electronics--and, in the very fine print, they excluded Samsung, Song, LG, and Panasonic, among others. It left me a little perturbed.
Bill
Always Electrolux,

Now imagine having shown up at their door, only to be told that they were just kidding. Sears is about the only company that I will no longer do business with. The last "tool sale" was the final straw, not that I've bought much there in decades anyway.

I thought the 5% off electronics was pretty minimal anyway. Then to exclude Samsung, Sony, LG, and Panasonic. And all electronics under $799. Gosh, what's left? Yeah, Bose and Onkyo were excluded too. Yep, it just made me mad that they wasted my time presenting me with an offer that was so hard to decipher. Of course, that's the whole point...
Bill

5% is pretty lame but there really isn't much margin in this stuff. The whole point is to get you in the store; bait and switch works. Sears has been famous for this crap for years.