Why Being a SoCal WoodDorker Rules

We tried ice trials some years ago. Plowed out a course on a frozen Wisconsin lake (we have 15,000) and went for fastest time. My wife waxed a bit wroth one year when I took our 3-day old BMW out. The classes included "engine over drive wheels" etc. and one for "specials". These guys didn't run no sissy needles or studs--they hex-bolted their tires. Ya shoulda seen the fountain of chopped ice that followed them around the track. There were few incidents, although we lost a Lincoln one year. Seems the laws of physics hadn't changed and all that road-hugging weight was a bit much early in the season. They fished it out with a wrecker the next day.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

That's why I like Seattle. It is rarely too hot, nor too cold.

Of course, you get to decide real quick that using finishes which aren't usable indoors means you're limited to 2 days/year that you can finish.

--randy

Reply to
Randy Chapman

Aw, Norm, don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel...

And isn't it ironic that the real Yankees are Red Sox fans?

Bob

Reply to
Bob N

On 26 Nov 2003, Bob N spake unto rec.woodworking:

As if being a Red Sox fan wasn't punishment enough.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:59:09 -0800, "Charles A. Peavey" contended:

Sorry guys, but to 95% of the world's population, anyone living anywhere between the 49th parallel or the Great Lakes and the Rio Grande is a Yankee. Period. Full stop.

Luigi Zanasi

$375 ?? that must be some piece of ash!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

ouch, that hadda hurt...

TomL

Reply to
TomL

here here !!!!! skeez

Reply to
skeezics

On 24 Nov 2003 18:09:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) scribbled

I can enjoy outdoor wooddorking anytime I want, just have to put on my insulated coveralls. Besides it is night here, most of the time anyhow. My mitre saw is outdoors right now - all I need to do is brush off the fluffy light-as-feathers snow, remove the tarp, plug it in & there I go.

The real question is: can you walk, bicycle, ski and swim outdoors year round, and do it all without breaking out in a sweat? I can! Bwahahahahahahaha!

Luigi The "no" in my reply address is actually "yk", which stands for Yukon.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi
[Apollyloggies this response is so late. I missed this thread before.]

Don't forget Tejas. I was out last night in shorts drawknifing a mesquite log for a carving I'm doing for SMBO for xmas. And I was sweating ... bigtime.

Also, SWMBO and I were in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico for the holidays, and we are *seriously* considering retiring there. That place will put SoCal, Zona and Fla to shame for year-round woodworking. We had 5 days with zero clouds and temps that ranged from the upper 40's to upper 70's each day. During the hot season it runs about 55-85.

Plus, I wouldn't feel so out-of-place doing Neander woodworking down there. :-)

planing? Don't let CW see ya.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On 2 Dec 2003 06:14:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Seriously reconsider. Didn't you just see all the Baja folks ousted from their 100-year leased properties a few years ago? Ay carumba!

SMdA? Near Mazatlan in Durango or north of Mexico City in Guanajuato? Years ago, Dad threatened to take us on vacation to Barra de Navidad but we never got there. In '82, Dad and I drove to Tijuana, hopped on a Mexicana plane and hopped on down to Puerto Vallarta. The rainforests there are unbelieveable: noisy with fauna and rich with flora. There was a restaurant a few miles south of there (with a most breathtaking view of a rocky river) who served the best food I think I've ever eaten. From there, we took the ferry to LaPaz where while snorkeling, the water which looked 2' deep was actually over 10' deep. This was

6 miles south of La Paz bay (where they dumped untreated sewage into the bay. The local water was all from huge desalination systems so it was safer than Tijuana.) We had a more eventful flight back to TJ from there. The pilot must have downed all the beer because he tilted first left, then right, then overshot the runway, landing on 1 wheel, then coming to a stop, I SWEAR, no more than 4' from the absolute end of the runway. When we turned to head in I could see the sandy edge under the wing. I never flew a Mexican airline again.

----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

think.

Bunch of frigging thieves.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hey SoCal woodsmiths...

I'm looking for a decent used contractor's saw and I'm in the Riverside/San Bernardino area...any suggestions on where to look for one?

Thanks!

JG

Reply to
Jonathan Gilmore

me. Luckily, it won't effect my plans. Despite isolated incidents like that, the Mexican government has made it much easier for gabachos to buy houses and such in recent years.

But, if you plan to go out and buy big plots of land, you'd better make sure you've got reliable (multiple) surveys, have paid off the appropriate officials, and get fences up immediately. Those folks have been fighting over the rights to some of that land since the Spaniards arrived, and squatting is a huge problem.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one SMA ... the one in Guanajuato. Lovely colonial town in a high-desert plateau of about 6000 feet. It's a designated historical landmark, and new buildings have to be approved under strict guidelines.

It's also a prime location in Mexico; almost at the geographical center (the city of Guanajuato is supposedly the exact center), and within a day's drive of beaches, mountains, etc., etc.

But don't tell anyone about it, OK? It's getting crowded enough as it is. Damned Americans all over the place. :-)

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've flown Mexicana and Aeromexico probably a dozen times without a problem. In fact, one of the scariest flights I've ever been on was on Aeromexico as we were crossing the Gulf on the way to the Yucatan. We got into the middle of a nasty electrical storm and to this day I'm not sure how we made it through unscathed. When we finally touched down, most of the passengers went up to shake the hand of our (Mexican) pilot and thank him for getting us in safely.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Re the sig: George, what do think think authority is?

Reply to
Bob Schmall

It's a shame that the Government and courts in the US don't act in accordance with "the law" and gather up ALL of the Mexicans and others who are here illegally and deport them instantaneously. I'd vote for the installation and use of gattling guns along the Rio Grande.

Bob Schmall wrote:

Reply to
EL

On 03 Dec 2003, EL spake unto rec.woodworking:

I now understand why the Iraqis are just tickled pink with our presence in their country.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Go away, troll.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

EL babbles:

I don't know what a gattling gun is, but the rest of your post is on a par with that particular goof-up.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

On 03 Dec 2003 06:55:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Imagine that you plunked down $90k, then spent another 4 years and $150k on a house with all the amenities, gorgeous yard, pool, etc. Now give it all back and walk away, empty handed, with a missing retirement fund. Fun, huh? Some people would raid the local armory and leave the land the way they found it.