Why Being a SoCal WoodDorker Rules

Page 4 of 6
Mark & Juanita wrote:

OTOH, most serious cyclists can get away with spandex. They tend to have 3% body fat or less, and muscles the size of grizzly bears.

I can do one better than that. Once upon a time I was going from somewhere to somewhere. Probably in South Carolina. I was on a two-lane road, just ambling along at some reasonable speed, when I ran into the tail end of the worst traffic jam I had ever seen.
We were all *moving*, but moving incredibly *slowly*. Those are the worst, because you can't just set the parking breaks and get out a book. You have to clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out, if you're going slower than the truck will idle in its lowest gear. I could see the traffic at least five miles ahead of me, and there was a pair of cops cars two abreast at the head of it all, running all on-coming traffic off the road. I figured maybe we were in some kind of funeral procession for some really important local official or something. I kept waiting to get to the funeral home.
Finally, after every bit of 10 long miles at 2 mph, it finally broke loose.
It was a damn *marathon*. In the middle of some major US highway, in the middle of the day.

That is sick sh&t. Did you use sheet metal screws for traction control? What about a monkey hanging off the sidecar??
Rich

RKON knowingly says:

Sick? Try it sometime. The only sick part is the bit with some of the Europeans who used spikes long enough to fit on women's shoes. Of course they also had guards...about an inch shorter than the spikes.
No one used sheetmetal screws. Tungsten steel studs had come into their own in that area (northern NY State) some years before, were easier to install, lasted longer and did less damage to tire and tube.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

We tried ice trials some years ago. Plowed out a course on a frozen Wisconsin lake (we have 15,000) and went for fastest time. My wife waxed a bit wroth one year when I took our 3-day old BMW out. The classes included "engine over drive wheels" etc. and one for "specials". These guys didn't run no sissy needles or studs--they hex-bolted their tires. Ya shoulda seen the fountain of chopped ice that followed them around the track. There were few incidents, although we lost a Lincoln one year. Seems the laws of physics hadn't changed and all that road-hugging weight was a bit much early in the season. They fished it out with a wrecker the next day.
Bob
On 25 Nov 2003 17:16:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I don't kow if it's a tough thing, or the fact that I'm the only one I know that dosen't ski.
Barry
Barry Burke notes:

I never did, either. Man, you could fall and hurt yourself on those things!
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:43:54 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Hey I'm a Sonny Bonofide non-skier myself. Wonder if those soccermoms could do the cell phone and eye makeup thing while on skis?
TomL
No, no, no. When it's that nice outside, you should be taking advantage of the weather in ways other than ww'g (take the little lady out on a picnic or sumpin'). In fact, I tend to drop ww'g when it's summery outside (outdoor projects are more carpentry than ww'g, so they don't count) and wait til the cold hits to get into the shop more regularly. 'Course, the shop's in a nice heated basement.
Renata
On 24 Nov 2003 18:09:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

On 24 Nov 2003 18:09:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) scribbled

I can enjoy outdoor wooddorking anytime I want, just have to put on my insulated coveralls. Besides it is night here, most of the time anyhow. My mitre saw is outdoors right now - all I need to do is brush off the fluffy light-as-feathers snow, remove the tarp, plug it in & there I go.
The real question is: can you walk, bicycle, ski and swim outdoors year round, and do it all without breaking out in a sweat? I can! Bwahahahahahahaha!
Luigi The "no" in my reply address is actually "yk", which stands for Yukon.
[Apollyloggies this response is so late. I missed this thread before.]
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in message

Don't forget Tejas. I was out last night in shorts drawknifing a mesquite log for a carving I'm doing for SMBO for xmas. And I was sweating ... bigtime.
Also, SWMBO and I were in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico for the holidays, and we are *seriously* considering retiring there. That place will put SoCal, Zona and Fla to shame for year-round woodworking. We had 5 days with zero clouds and temps that ranged from the upper 40's to upper 70's each day. During the hot season it runs about 55-85.
Plus, I wouldn't feel so out-of-place doing Neander woodworking down there. :-)

Yo, O'Deen ... what's up with using those sissy gloves when planing? Don't let CW see ya.
Chuck Vance
On 2 Dec 2003 06:14:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Seriously reconsider. Didn't you just see all the Baja folks ousted from their 100-year leased properties a few years ago? Ay carumba! http://www.bajaquest.com/bajanews/archives/archv014.htm
Which SMdA? Near Mazatlan in Durango or north of Mexico City in Guanajuato? Years ago, Dad threatened to take us on vacation to Barra de Navidad but we never got there. In '82, Dad and I drove to Tijuana, hopped on a Mexicana plane and hopped on down to Puerto Vallarta. The rainforests there are unbelieveable: noisy with fauna and rich with flora. There was a restaurant a few miles south of there (with a most breathtaking view of a rocky river) who served the best food I think I've ever eaten. From there, we took the ferry to LaPaz where while snorkeling, the water which looked 2' deep was actually over 10' deep. This was 6 miles south of La Paz bay (where they dumped untreated sewage into the bay. The local water was all from huge desalination systems so it was safer than Tijuana.) We had a more eventful flight back to TJ from there. The pilot must have downed all the beer because he tilted first left, then right, then overshot the runway, landing on 1 wheel, then coming to a stop, I SWEAR, no more than 4' from the absolute end of the runway. When we turned to head in I could see the sandy edge under the wing. I never flew a Mexican airline again.
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques writes:

I'll be dipped. I'd have popped the top on a Molotov cocktail as I left, I think.
Bunch of frigging thieves.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Hey SoCal woodsmiths...
I'm looking for a decent used contractor's saw and I'm in the Riverside/San Bernardino area...any suggestions on where to look for one?
Thanks!
JG

Re the sig: George, what do think think authority is?
It's a shame that the Government and courts in the US don't act in accordance with "the law" and gather up ALL of the Mexicans and others who are here illegally and deport them instantaneously. I'd vote for the installation and use of gattling guns along the Rio Grande.
Bob Schmall wrote:

On 03 Dec 2003, EL spake unto rec.woodworking:

I now understand why the Iraqis are just tickled pink with our presence in their country.

It doesn't matter, they lost.
EL wrote:

Go away, troll.
Chuck Vance
EL babbles:

I don't know what a gattling gun is, but the rest of your post is on a par with that particular goof-up.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
On 03 Dec 2003 06:55:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Imagine that you plunked down $90k, then spent another 4 years and $150k on a house with all the amenities, gorgeous yard, pool, etc. Now give it all back and walk away, empty handed, with a missing retirement fund. Fun, huh? Some people would raid the local armory and leave the land the way they found it.