Why Being a SoCal WoodDorker Rules

No, no, no. When it's that nice outside, you should be taking advantage of the weather in ways other than ww'g (take the little lady out on a picnic or sumpin'). In fact, I tend to drop ww'g when it's summery outside (outdoor projects are more carpentry than ww'g, so they don't count) and wait til the cold hits to get into the shop more regularly. 'Course, the shop's in a nice heated basement.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Then you must be of the opinion that "any reasonably capable individual can do ANY job", Period. Most government jobs are as difficult and complex as the equivalent non-government job. In my case, I believe that being the Business Manager of a $55 million school district is about the same in complexity and difficulty as being the CFO of most any $55 million services company. In some cases more so as most small services companies have basically one major market and service. In our case, in addition to providing educational services, we:

- Run a transportation system that transports 6,000 children per day to 43 schools (34 of which are private or church related schools), operating 32 buses and 23 vans with a total of 62 employees. Oh and did I mention that we have a window of 2 hours from start to finish in the morning and afternoon - most vehicles making 3 runs in that timeframe.

- Maintain and clean 9 schools, one administration building, one warehouse, in excess of 740,000 square feet of heavily utilized building space, not to mention 3 football fields, 4 soccer fields, 4 baseball fields, 8 tennis courts, one swimming pool, one fieldhouse and 2 tracks. This with a staff of 41 custodians and 6 maintenence employees.

- Serve in excess of 5,000 meals (mostly lunch, but a few hundred breakfasts). Total time for lunch is 1.5 hours at the big schools (3 lunch periods) and 1 hour in the smaller (400 student) schools (2 lunch periods). Oh and we do that for $1.50 per meal ( must admit that cost does not include any rent, but all other costs such as staffing, food, supplies, equipment, benefits, utilities, etc. must be covered).

These along with purchasing, warehousing, tax collection, data processing (our network has over 2,500 computers on it doing everything from CAD to accounting to office productivity to calculus to Reader Rabbit to library services) are just some of the ancillary services that a small government operation like our small school district must perform. Very few corporate entities our size have these types of things to do outside of their main business. Just think how much more complex a real government like the State of CA must be.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

capable individual can do ANY job in

As far as MANAGEMENT goes, you bet your sweet ass!

A common trait of yuppie elitists, which outwardly manifests itself in even such tasks as their driving habits, is their ability to delude themselves into believing they are among the exalted few capable of doing these jobs.

As you grow older you will learn that is NOT the case and that you, personally, are expendable to the point that _most_ of those below you could fill your shoes in a heartbeat.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, you are ONLY ever as good as those under you! Don't lose sight of that and you will ultimately succeed. Lose sight of it and you will fail as a human may well count your money in misery in old age.

Been there, done that ... learned it was just as true in the corporate world, and government, as it was in combat.

Reply to
Swingman

No it doesn't. This is a complete fallacy. It just means he has more wealthy and influential "friends" that he can help out.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Yeah, but Charlie, you're talking about *real* bikes, the kind with motors, not those annoying two-wheeled things that slow traffic down to a crawl on major thoroughfares. (May as well throw in some oxcarts to go with them, except the oxcarts don't have those jaunty sissified lycra-spandex riding atire)

[He says after having survived the screw-the-drivers de Tucson last weekend -- had to drive 14 miles out of my way in order to get home. BTW, I could live with that once a year (business for the local economy and all), it's just the daily attitude that irritates me. One of the nattily attired women riders was interviewed the day before the race, making the comment, "It gets people used to us being on the roads, the more bicycles the better in my opinion"]

/end rant --gosh, that felt good

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita responds:

Well, in a sense. These things were set up as half-milers, so you wouldn't really want them on the street, and the studs were real fun if you fell in front of the pack. The few times I did it, I was fortunate enough to be slow, as well as clumsy, so my falls were at the back.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

OTOH, most serious cyclists can get away with spandex. They tend to have 3% body fat or less, and muscles the size of grizzly bears.

I can do one better than that. Once upon a time I was going from somewhere to somewhere. Probably in South Carolina. I was on a two-lane road, just ambling along at some reasonable speed, when I ran into the tail end of the worst traffic jam I had ever seen.

We were all *moving*, but moving incredibly *slowly*. Those are the worst, because you can't just set the parking breaks and get out a book. You have to clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, clutch out, if you're going slower than the truck will idle in its lowest gear. I could see the traffic at least five miles ahead of me, and there was a pair of cops cars two abreast at the head of it all, running all on-coming traffic off the road. I figured maybe we were in some kind of funeral procession for some really important local official or something. I kept waiting to get to the funeral home.

Finally, after every bit of 10 long miles at 2 mph, it finally broke loose.

It was a damn *marathon*. In the middle of some major US highway, in the middle of the day.

Reply to
Silvan

That is sick sh&t. Did you use sheet metal screws for traction control? What about a monkey hanging off the sidecar??

Rich

Reply to
RKON

There's a lot to love about SoCal but it has plenty of short-comings. Yeah, the weather's hard to beat but perpetually sunny days come at the expense of hardwood forests, etc. I was just looking at the shop photos on your website and if your shop has a clear view of that falls in the photo then I hate you (figuratively speaking, of course).

btw: On the Gulph Mills page you have a local map. Are the places listed on the map (e.g. wheelwright, blacksmith) being preserved as historic sites? Pretty cool for you if that's the case.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sick? Try it sometime. The only sick part is the bit with some of the Europeans who used spikes long enough to fit on women's shoes. Of course they also had guards...about an inch shorter than the spikes.

No one used sheetmetal screws. Tungsten steel studs had come into their own in that area (northern NY State) some years before, were easier to install, lasted longer and did less damage to tire and tube.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Been to Jersey once. Never again. Some time before that, I worked with a guy that was born and raised there. He described it as "the armpit of the US". I find no reason to say otherwise.

Reply to
CW

Damn right. Why be hateful to someone all day when you can just shoot them in the morning and be done with it. 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You'd like 'em even more from a bicycle.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I don't kow if it's a tough thing, or the fact that I'm the only one I know that dosen't ski.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Barry Burke notes:

I never did, either. Man, you could fall and hurt yourself on those things!

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hey I'm a Sonny Bonofide non-skier myself. Wonder if those soccermoms could do the cell phone and eye makeup thing while on skis?

TomL

Reply to
TomL

OK, 2 opinions. Guess we got a quorum now.

TomL

Reply to
TomL

I'm sorry but to all of those misguided people the only people who can be called Yankees are from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachussetts, and Rhode Island, those "New yawkas" are just wannabes:-)

Regards, Charles A true Yankee who actually lives >

Reply to
Charles A. Peavey

It is not hard to be a better choice than Davis. The main thing needed is someone (anyone) who will veto the BS hippie legislation that they pass in Sacramento. Below BAD mentioned two good things that Arnold has already done. That's a start. It will be an uphill battle for him (or anyone, for that matter) to get spending under control here, but at least he recognizes that spending is a problem. Davis never did.

Silvan (below) also has one of the most crucial points covered. Politicians MUST learn in Calif that they can be fired. I believe that when some of them saw the ire raised by the illegal alien bill and the proposed free college tuition for illegals bill and they realized that we would be willing to turn some of them out they did a 180 and acted to repeal the bad legislation. Thus, it was a good thing.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Do I detect a little *snobbishness* here? Keep having to remind people that I live in "New Yawk", but over 400 mi. from the "Rotten Apple"! There's a LOT more to NY than that collection of a**holes living in that sewer @ the mouth of the Hudson River. Rant/off. Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow