Why are RAS so unpopular?

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 05:43:46 -0500, "Lee Michaels" wrote: [...]

Or maybe it was around the time that it became popular to describe anyone who did not agree with you in every particular as a "wimp or whiner"?

If you have the room for two tools, go for it. If you have room for only one, my preference is a well tuned table saw. My sled(s) will handle material 34" wide, obviating, for me at least, the need for a specialized crosscut saw. If I was going to buy such, it would more likely be a chop saw in order to do reasonably accurate compound cuts and cuts to arbitrary angles.

Clearly, YMMV.

-
Reply to
areyoukidding

My 10" Unisaw, when outfitted with a 1/2" thick sled doesn't have the cutting depth capacity I often need, which is why I use my CMS. The cut isn't as nice, but at least I get a cut! Morale of this short story: it takes more than one kinda tool to do everything that you face in the normal course of woodworking.

Dave

Reply to
David

One More Time ...

A little search and found a hard copy of Jon Eakes' book " Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw" was available ("recognized as the bible for setting up and using radial arm saws in a precision fashion" publisher) but only through Amazon.com ($47.40 to $100 US) or Amazon.ca ($208 CDN)

However, you can download the book in PDF format for $14.95 CDN from:

found it easy and simple if you trust passing your VISA card # over the internet. If not, they have an 800 # too!

Jon Eakes is down to earth TV & Craftshow handyman. Always has something to teach you.

for ripping, I had problems initially but none since I received my updated guard (thanks to the wreck) a few years back. I've had it 20 years and it's still solid.

Also found a few thread comments at:

"nixonspam"

Reply to
Georgeonthetrain