Why are my posts "disappearing"?

Hi,

I use Outlook Express 6, and after a while, posts seem to disappear. I have posted about 50 posts on here, but it only shows up as 5! I HAVE been able to see them, but now they've all gone.. Any solutions?

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

Hi, Sam,

Go to View>Current View and ensure that "Show All Messages" is selected. OE6 gives you the option of hiding messages which you've already read, and you obviously don't want this.

HTH

Reply to
Frank McVey

It's not that, because i've got over 3,500 posts here, all read, but the trouble is they seem to expire after a while.. useless for archives.

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

Ah. That's a function of your ISP's newsserver retention policy. There is only so much room, and after that gets filled up, the oldest articles are deleted to make room for the new ones.

However...groups.google.com has Usenet archives going back to pretty much day 0 of usenet. It's _all_ there. The user interface isn't fantastic, but you can find what you need that way.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks Dave, I'll look into that.

Cheers,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

I'm not sure how old you are looking for, nut news.individual.net has a good access that saves stuff for a while. Things do disappear, but it takes a good long time IMHO.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Tue, Nov 23, 2004, 5:44pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sam=A0Berlyn) waves and calls out: Hi, I use Outlook Express 6, and after a while, posts seem to disappear. I have posted about 50 posts on here, but it only shows up as 5! I HAVE been able to see them, but now they've all gone.. Any solutions?

Sheesh.

twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T

It's been a while since I've used OE, but you might try checking the various "delete message" settings under Tools -> Options ->

Maintenance.

You should be able to keep downloaded messages indefinitely.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Can you guess recommend a NNTP server to use? I read this from work via google and I'd like to use Outlook as well.

Reply to
slindars

I use supernews.com, and they have a fantastic retention rate on text groups. They currently show 100,285 live posts for the wreck.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'll second Joe's recommendation of news.individual.net. You can register here:

binaries, though.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Try:

Tools Options Maintenance

Look for the box that says "Delete new messages X days after being downloaded" and make sure that is not checked or set it for some insanely long time.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks Tom,

I had it set to 5 days, thanks.. i've now made it "999999"

Thanks again,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Berlyn