Why are drywall screws black?

Page 1 of 2

Is there a reason drywall screws are black? Is it just to distinguish them from wood screws or are they made of a special alloy which makes them black? Sorry. Just a newbie.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Probably because its cheaper to coat them this way.
Rather than galvanise/chrome them.
Jesus! who wrote this script?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

2 reasons- the black is a side effect of the heat treatment and it provides a slightly rough surface that the drywall mud can stick to.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You serious?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:35:00 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Technically, it is Black Oxide - that is applied in a plating process. Since rust is an oxide the plating inhibits its formation - for a while anyway.
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

yes.
Bad guess.

And as a newbie let me advise you to not use dry walls screws for "hard wood" wood working. Check out McFeeleys Square Drive Screws.

I don't use them anymore, but I have used plenty of dry wall screws in the past for inappropriate purposes. They occasionally break when installing, but I never had a problem with one breaking afterwards. That said, McFeelys is certainly better (though I used Rockler last time; same thing...)

Swingman might beg to differ with you on that one. He recently had a problem with the Rockler screws breaking.
"Leon" wrote in message

time;
... and went right back to Mc'Feely's.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06

I think you just cursed me. I have used a few hundred Rockler screws with no problem. Tonight I had 4 break on me. Maybe it was really really hard oak...
Toller wrote:

last time I twisted the head off a screw was putting hinges on my china cabinet 2 years ago, oddly enough from Rockler. on the other side I don't remember the last time I twisted the head off a drywall or decking screw, but I almost never use them on anything but pine, rather glue and staple/brad nail

You got a lighter tough than I do. I'm twisting them off all the time. But, my work is rough stuff, not fine work.
Steve
"Toller" wrote in message

Had about 10% of Rockler's best break off at the head when screwing red oak face frames together (pilot hole drilled correctly) ... that is unacceptable and is "enuf o' dat stuff", as they say in NOLA.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06

Get a can of paste wax and lube the threads with a short stab in to the wax, the screws go in with much less effort from your driver. I use Minwax finishing wax.

I see McFeeley's is offering a pretty complete assortment of star-drive or what we call torx screws, actually a Canadian manufacturer, GRK (I believe). We've been using them since discovering them in the late 90s. I probably haven't twisted off a half dozen heads in the nine or ten years we've been using them. They are often very useful in tight spots where you can't get a hammer or nailer. I keep using the same set of screws in successive sets of saw horses (which mostly end up living outdoors) for the past four or five years. Oddly enough, Circle Saw in Houston is the only retail outlet I have been able to find them in here in Houston while I can find them at most of the "Do It Best" home centers in the south Texas communities I frequent.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

New Wave Dave wrote: <from his computer in Houston>
Speaking of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Daves, what ever happened to Bay Area Dave? He was a pretty frequent poster here back when I started lurking.
JP

No relation.
~:o) New Wave Dave in Houston
<snippage>

My local Do It Best has a similar success in having 'the good stuff'. Their fastener aisle keeps my McFeeley's orders down to once a year...
Patriarch