Why am I so slow....

Page 2 of 2

6 hours doesn't sound bad for that size job to me. It would take me at least that long to do that and probably more.
I decided a long time ago that my time spent on a project in my shop doesn't count as time usually does. "It's the journey rather than the destination that I seek". I always try to do it as right as possible to satisfy my own desires. When it's done, it's done! I seem to do great during the sawdust part, but the finishing seems to drag on (not my favorite part). I usually finish something when it starts getting in my way and I want the space.
I'm a recently retired engineer who spent most of my career designing and building automated manufacturing machinery and controls. Recently I started getting bored with my own home shop projects and decided that I needed to find a new interest and "get involved" again. I volunteered my time and my shop to build projects for a children's science museum that's located about 20 miles from me. They jumped at the chance to get me and so far things are going great. They ask me to do something, and then pretty much leave it totally up to me to design and build it my way. I can use their huge wood shop or my own (usually use my own so I don't have to commute) and they reimburse me for all of my expenses. I'm also providing technical training in pneumatics, electronics, and automation to their personnel whenever they need assistance. I usually set my own hours and schedules and they seem very happy to get whatever help that I'm willing to provide. It's been a real pleasure to be able to make projects of scientific interest and entertainment for the children, and the adults who come to the museum. If any of you "retired" guys out there want to make something in your shop to help the children and get involved in your community I suggest that you find one of these museums in your area and offer to help.
--
Charley

"loutent" < snipped-for-privacy@dot.net> wrote in message

Your only slow if the person paying you is waiting. If that's not the case, take your time and have fun. Your doing fine.
Mike O.

I work at two speeds: 1) not so slow and 2) slow as molasses
The only way to produce at speed #1 is to do thorough planning and layout. If I "design on the fly", I make more mistakes and take longer. I'm getting better and better at using a 3-D cad program which helps me eliminate many many mistakes because I can "test fit" in the computer and find the problems before cutting a single board.
Bob
Two speeds of work that I heard about were fast and half-fast.
On Mon, 02 May 2005 02:26:47 GMT, "BillyBob"